User Tag List

20Likes

post #11 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 03:53 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bro1999 View Post
Demand charges are the main obstacle standing in the way of fast charging providers being profitable. I can only imagine the demand chargers the 40 stall Tesla Supercharger site at Kettleman racks up when all 40 stalls are full with charging Teslas. Or an EA site in the future with 10 Porsche Taycons charging at ~350 kW.
This is where the recently implemented NY plan should help offset demand charges

"The incentive is designed to reduce the impact of the demand charges the owners of the charging stations would otherwise have to pay."

https://www.publicpower.org/periodic...rging-stations
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 04:23 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderbolt View Post
This is where the recently implemented NY plan should help offset demand charges

"The incentive is designed to reduce the impact of the demand charges the owners of the charging stations would otherwise have to pay."

https://www.publicpower.org/periodic...rging-stations
That's a strange incentive. The state pays the provider, and the payments diminish over time? The provider is then taking a significant risk that business will grow commensurate with the declining incentives.
post #13 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 06:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetOffYourGas View Post
That's a strange incentive. The state pays the provider, and the payments diminish over time? The provider is then taking a significant risk that business will grow commensurate with the declining incentives.
I wish someone would fund my business with payments that decline over time.....business life is all about making an investment and planning for it to catch on prior to running out of cash and this provides a nice head start.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmike View Post
I wish someone would fund my business with payments that decline over time.....business life is all about making an investment and planning for it to catch on prior to running out of cash and this provides a nice head start.
Well, start a business running a DCQC network in NYS and you will get your wish.
post #15 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 01:51 PM

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
I am thinking of my own personal situation Vs. My old gas car. I would estimate with today's gas prices in Texas I could get around 250 highway miles for $20 in gas - that's assuming 30 mpg for my old 4 cylinder car. If EA's prices are true (non members = 0.30 per minute vs. Basic free membership and download app = 0.24 per minute) I would estimate I could get close to 250 miles of EV range for around 75 minute charge time and that would be around $20 in charging fees. So if these numbers are close to true it would make EA's chargers basically close to gas type prices. Obviously there are other factors I'm not even stating such as depreciation of the cars no need for oil changes etc. I'm ok with about an average price of $20 per "fill up" if that's what is needed to keep EA stations viable / maintained and available to all of us that don't have extra cash for Teslas.
post #16 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 04:06 PM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertiformed View Post
It's also worth comparing EA's early phase-I plans to the current version.

Plan from several months ago:

Current Plan:

I'd love to overlay them, but they shape of the maps is different. (Grr.)
No, the earlier map was just screwed up by the art dept.... it does not represent any actual earlier plan.
post #17 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 04:10 PM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Quote:
True. And this is why many networks (Electrify America, EVGo, and of course Tesla) are adding batteries to their stations. If you can lower the demand by shifting the energy pulled from the grid, you could save a ton of money.

https://electricrevs.com/2019/02/04/...tions-in-2019/
Right. The 100+ Tesla storage systems that EA is installing will mostly be located in California and the northeastern US to mitigate utility demand fees.
post #18 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 05:43 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 814 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff N View Post
No, the earlier map was just screwed up by the art dept.... it does not represent any actual earlier plan.
Interesting.

I guess this combined map shows the (fairly modest) differences between EA's plans and reality.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ea-planned-vs-reality.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	302.1 KB
ID:	25307  
hatchy and GetOffYourGas like this.
post #19 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 08:10 PM

Nice overlay, Vertiformed. I'd say they were very true to their goal, even if they had to make minor adjustments in the final implementation.
post #20 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 09:28 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmike View Post
Well, start a business running a DCQC network in NYS and you will get your wish.
If you want to become a millionaire (and you're currently a billionaire) start a DCFC network.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page