User Tag List

13Likes

post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 09:40 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Got screwed again...

Second time in the last 3 months I managed to get a screw in the tire (see picture). The tire started to deflate fairly quickly. Stopped, reinflated tire. Couldn't visually find the screw. Air still going down. Stopped again, found the screw, removed it and pumped to about 40 psi. Drove for about 10 km., stopped, let some air out to correct pressure and then drove on. So far so good with pressure holding. The trick seems to be to remove the object put air in, drive a while and that allows the goo in the tire to seal it up. Works like a charm though I don't want to keep testing this technology!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7240.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	25387  
redpoint5 likes this.

2018 Bolt Premier Cajun Red. Driving by the gas stations
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 10:07 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonBolt View Post
Second time in the last 3 months I managed to get a screw in the tire (see picture). The tire started to deflate fairly quickly. Stopped, reinflated tire. Couldn't visually find the screw. Air still going down. Stopped again, found the screw, removed it and pumped to about 40 psi. Drove for about 10 km., stopped, let some air out to correct pressure and then drove on. So far so good with pressure holding. The trick seems to be to remove the object put air in, drive a while and that allows the goo in the tire to seal it up. Works like a charm though I don't want to keep testing this technology!
Bummer about getting "screwed", but at least it didn't turn in to a bigger problem. Also nice to hear a story of the goop in the OEM tires actually working to seal a leak. Most stories I've seen about the effectiveness of the Bolt's self-sealing weren't positive ones.

Check out my Bolt EV blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bolt EV owners Facebook Group:
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 10:46 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 448 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to surgeonFWW
Mine was negative with removal of the jagged piece of metal, good for a month, then never holding the seal. We took it off twice to examine it and even painted it from the inside. Still would not hold air. Had to buy a new tire to the cost of $190 or so.

Rick's blue Bolt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 11:45 PM

Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonBolt View Post
I'd say you've done your test tour of duty.
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 11:49 PM

Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by surgeonFWW View Post
Mine was negative with removal of the jagged piece of metal, good for a month, then never holding the seal. We took it off twice to examine it and even painted it from the inside. Still would not hold air. Had to buy a new tire to the cost of $190 or so.
I don't think the self sealing tech is designed to do anything more than get you home.
ZoomZoom and yolopm like this.
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 12:00 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 756 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithMoon View Post
I don't think the self sealing tech is designed to do anything more than get you home.
Quote:
Energy Saver A/S Selfseal tires feature a sticky, viscous coating on the inside of the tire that instantly seals nail or screw punctures up to " in diameter. The Selfseal Technology is designed to permanently fill the path of the puncture when the object is removed.
source
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 06:17 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by surgeonFWW View Post
Was it a sidewall hit? Or a puncture that couldn't be plugged? I had a nail the first month and I drove it into the dealer, they put a plug in it.
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 10:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
These can be repaired with conventional inner patches. Tire stores don't like to do it because of the yukk they have to clean off to do it. I've lost the link to the Michelin website page that shows how. I got it to try and convince a Michelin dealer to patch the tire with no luck--They said it couldn't be done, and Michelin refused to contact them to explain otherwise.
surgeonFWW likes this.

2019 Bolt Premier, Kinetic Blue, Ash Grey/Ceramic White, Window Sticker (Successor to '17 Bolt)

2019 Volt Premier, Red, Black Leather
(Successor to '15 & '17 Volts)
(PV System, 13.78 kWp at 6140' MSL, 3825'45"N)
2011 F-150 Lariat 4WD V-6 Ecoboost, Extended Crew Cab
1984 F-250 Diesel
Various tractors and farm vehicles
Most fun vehicles before Volts and Bolt: 1973 Ferrari Dino 246GT; 1983 Taurus SHO MTX; 2003 Lincoln LS Sport; 1983 Cessna TR-182; 2017
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 10:57 PM

Quoted: 937 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD4JC View Post
These can be repaired with conventional inner patches. Tire stores don't like to do it because of the yukk they have to clean off to do it. I've lost the link to the Michelin website page that shows how. I got it to try and convince a Michelin dealer to patch the tire with no luck--They said it couldn't be done, and Michelin refused to contact them to explain otherwise.

Which is why I carry a copy of the official Michelin document (with pretty pictures) explaining the procedure.

Driving electric since 1997!
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 12:56 AM

Quoted: 756 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD4JC View Post
https://www.chevybolt.org/forum/242282-post5.html