Oh happy Day! - Page 10 - Chevy Bolt EV Forum
User Tag List

134Likes

post #91 of 127 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 01:58 PM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1671 Post(s)
Evil is part of the human condition, and affects everyone.

There's usually rational reasons for both (all) sides of an issue, with neither extreme position holding the absolute truth or best solution.
GetOffYourGas likes this.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 127 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 08:09 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Like2bike View Post
I wonder if they are going to let us know when they start breaking even, like Carlos Ghosn did with the LEAFs ('leaves' is all wrong ). I can't see why they wouldn't be improving on cost. We keep hearing battery prices are still improving.
From what I have observed, once a vehicle is launched they typically take the component costs and rank potential improvements against return. IE, if you can save a few $$ per unit by making a change to the Battery pack, but need to invest substantial engineering time and then of course re-test and certify it, that adds up quick. When you have scarce engineering, test resources, and capital to invest you might look to only invest in the new BEV3 platform. Another way to look at it is develop and test a new battery pack for a vehicle platform that has only another 2 years production run left?

The $$ invested for seemingly trivial changes in design is astounding, with temperature, vibration, durability, cycle life, crash, etc.
post #93 of 127 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 02:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithMoon View Post
Evil can only propagate amongst a population incapable of independent, rational thought

Quote:
If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?
― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago 1918Ė1956
redpoint5 and GetOffYourGas like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 127 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 03:09 PM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1671 Post(s)
I need to read that, along with many other profound books.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #95 of 127 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 09:49 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
They tried to separate all those "evil people" - ship them off to a distant island somewhere. That island is now known as Australia. Not only did it not remove evil from the British Empire, but the Aussies are, on the whole, a great group of people.
zzzing likes this.
post #96 of 127 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 01:44 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 978 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetOffYourGas View Post
They tried to separate all those "evil people" - ship them off to a distant island somewhere. That island is now known as Australia. Not only did it not remove evil from the British Empire, but the Aussies are, on the whole, a great group of people.

...and another group sought to eliminate those "evil people" using gas chambers.

All hail Godwin!

Driving electric since 1997!
post #97 of 127 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 11:46 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Anyway......

I just heard that Musk has lost ~$5 billion in net worth this year.

Must've been that hit on the blunt that pushed him over the edge.........
post #98 of 127 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 04:30 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertiformed View Post
This is based on the idea that the Bolt had to pay off all the (indirect) development costs associated with the Bolt platform. Even if you say that is required, the more Bolts sold, the more the development-costs-share-per-car drops.

I think that if sold at MSRP, the Bolt would make a small profit (ignoring development costs). Currently, however, the Bolt is steeply discounted. I can't help feeling those discounts do take it to a net loss that is balanced by the CARB credits it generates.
A bit more information on the profitability of the Bolt for GM and a few tidbits on upcoming GM EV vehicle cost from a transportation conference today...

"The average price of a new vehicle today is about $37,000. Thatís also the sticker price of a Chevrolet Bolt, GMís current electric car, which loses thousands of dollars for the company on each sale.

Today, battery packs from electric cars cost about $150 per kilowatt hour, according to a recent study from consulting firm McKinsey & Co. Reuss said to make a profit, this needs to drop well below $100."

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...and-make-money
post #99 of 127 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 04:51 PM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1536 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderbolt View Post
[I]"The average price of a new vehicle today is about $37,000. Thatís also the sticker price of a Chevrolet Bolt, GMís current electric car, which loses thousands of dollars for the company on each sale.
And to make matters worse, it is a sensible five door hatchback, while Americans want monster trucks with cup holders.
post #100 of 127 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 05:39 PM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
What's going on with the Bolt in Europe? EVs seem to be in high demand and the Bolt form factor is very popular in the EU, but I was looking at the EU sales charts, and didn't see any of the EU version (Opel Ampera E). What happened? Why'd they stop offering it?

2017 Bolt LT - 10/17 Build Date. Both option packages plus DC
2015 Leaf S

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page