User Tag List

79Likes
post #11 of 168 (permalink) Unread 06-10-2019, 04:50 PM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1670 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bro1999 View Post
I don't think GM is considering killing the Bolt, since the Bolt is being used for Cruise Automation's AV program. And despite meh sales in the US, the Bolt is actually selling decently well in other counties (such as South Korea). I'm hoping they have some fairly significant refresh coming with the 2020 Bolt, and are holding off until the last minute so that sales of 2019 Bolts aren't impacted.
I don't imagine the Bolt is being nixed, but only 1,400 have been sold in South Korea this year. That's 280 per month, which I wouldn't consider a success. I'm sure Chevy is selling as many as they wish to sell though.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 168 (permalink) Unread 06-10-2019, 05:40 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimitrij View Post
Could it be that GM is trying not to Osborne the current inventory of MY 2019's? announcing any significant news perhaps around the summer shutdown, which is usually in July.
Bolt inventory trends through May 2019.
I have been tracking the Bolt EV inventory for over 6 months using cars.com. While it may not be exactly correct, since I used the same method to determine the inventory, I think it correctly shows the trends. I expected a drop in Q1 as people took advantage of the last time they could get the $7,500 tax credit. Then in Q2, I expected the inventory to increase. Below are my results.
09/03/18 4,165 units
01/04/19 3,291
02/04/19 3,981
02/22/19 4,057
03/02/19 3,981
03/31/19 3,450
04/24/19 3,762
05/05/19 4,225
06/01/19 4,203
The lowest inventory was just after the December end of year sales events (3,201). It has held relatively steady for the last two months.
post #13 of 168 (permalink) Unread 06-10-2019, 07:07 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregBrew View Post
Quote:
They pretty much did that with the ELR. Except instead of a $10k price premium over the Volt, they made it double the price. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/ChevyBolt/smilies/tango_face_surprise.png[/IMG] And then shockingly, ELR sales were terrible and was terminated after 2 model years.

Kind of like the XLR? It's like a Vette, but with worse lines (and a higher price).
and I believe its named after an audio connector? Whats next the new Cadillac BNC-Coax Cat 5E?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 168 (permalink) Unread 06-11-2019, 06:08 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
GM may be sitting on their hands with the Bolt EV hoping the upcoming Bolt EUV wins out in popularity. A refreshed Bolt EV would be nice especially one with adaptive cruise control, better seats, etc.
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2...ure-announced/

2018 Mosaic Black Metallic with factory black bow tie kit.

Last edited by PhilBo; 06-11-2019 at 11:32 AM.
post #15 of 168 (permalink) Unread 06-11-2019, 07:39 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 658 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaV8or View Post
It's quite possible that they are preparing to announce the end of the Chevy Bolt and the beginning of the much more expensive Cadillac Xxxxx. I hope I'm wrong because I like the idea of more affordable BEVs, but it wouldn't surprise me and I couldn't blame GM one bit for making the change.
Well, in 2017 - in absence of ANY competition in the sub-70K price range - a $50-60K e-Cadillac on the same 60 kWh LG platform, only with a less primitive suspension, more efficient battery insulation, 2" wider and at least 5-6" longer + smoother line for sophisticated looks and better aero, with comfortable front seats and more luxurious trim, perchance 2 motors would probably sell better and be profitable.

But now it's 2019 and I think the EV public in the US has already decided that there is The Tesla and there is a bunch of Tesla-killer wannabees who continue to embarrass themselves.

In a way, it reminds me of the situation around 2010, when in the there was The Prius and a bunch of half-assed wannabees who just couldn't get their wit together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaV8or View Post
Tesla has shown the world who the bulk of the EV buying segment is and how one can potentially make profit selling BEVs. Chevrolet and everyone else has shown how to lose money selling BEVs.
Tesla has shown the world that a car company can take big losses, year after years, on their products, while making billions of 100% pure profit from the greenhouse credits. It reminded me of the medieval practice when the Holy Church flogged indulgences to the great sinners

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Dimitrij; 06-11-2019 at 07:45 AM.
post #16 of 168 (permalink) Unread 06-11-2019, 11:18 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 450 Post(s)
Quote:
Tesla has shown the world that a car company can take big losses, year after years, on their products, while making billions of 100% pure profit from the greenhouse credits. It reminded me of the medieval practice when the Holy Church flogged indulgences to the great sinners
This is called a market based instrument and is used for many of the products you use. Look up carbon based credits and many companies take advantage of them. This is not just for the car sector. It hasn't been as big as you think though until the deal with Fiat and European regulation. In the US it has been about two billion since these ZEV credits started. GM's bailout money was much more than this and this was before ZEV credits started. These credits also come from non-US car manufacturer's, so Tesla is subsidized more by non-US countries. While Ford/GM/Chrysler are heavily subsidized by the US government by about $20 billion in oil subsidies every year.
post #17 of 168 (permalink) Unread 06-11-2019, 11:50 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1091 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:

It is pretty ironic (and borderline hypocritical) that Tesla, whose mission statement is to "accelerate the world's transition to sustainable energy" is so willing to take money from the traditional automakers by selling them ZEV credits so that those automakers can continue to sell gas guzzling SUVs by the fistful. See the recent FCA emissions deal Tesla signed so FCA could avoid billions is fines in Europe.

Tesla selling its ZEV credits has actually allowed other automakers to delay action on developing their own, in-house ZEVs, as there has always been a large supply available to purchase from Tesla. If Tesla actually backed up its mission statement by refusing to sell credits and bail out the laggard automakers, those automakers would have been forced to come out with compelling ZEVs on their own a long time ago. But Tesla keeps giving them a lifeline in exchange for cash.

Like I've said before, every man has a price, even Saint Elon.
Dimitrij likes this.

Check out my Bolt EV blog:

Bolt EV owners Facebook Group:
post #18 of 168 (permalink) Unread 06-11-2019, 12:00 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 975 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by davioh2001 View Post
and I believe its named after an audio connector? Whats next the new Cadillac BNC-Coax Cat 5E?

I'd go with the "14-50P Platinum Edition".

Driving electric since 1997!
post #19 of 168 (permalink) Unread 06-11-2019, 12:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
It is pretty ironic (and borderline hypocritical) that Tesla, whose mission statement is to "accelerate the world's transition to sustainable energy" is so willing to take money from the traditional automakers by selling them ZEV credits so that those automakers can continue to sell gas guzzling SUVs by the fistful. See the recent FCA emissions deal Tesla signed so FCA could avoid billions is fines in Europe.

Tesla selling its ZEV credits has actually allowed other automakers to delay action on developing their own, in-house ZEVs, as there has always been a large supply available to purchase from Tesla. If Tesla actually backed up its mission statement by refusing to sell credits and bail out the laggard automakers, those automakers would have been forced to come out with compelling ZEVs on their own a long time ago. But Tesla keeps giving them a lifeline in exchange for cash.

Like I've said before, every man has a price, even Saint Elon.

I would say that is a short sighted look on the situation. In the grand scheme Tesla is small and fighting to get into a stable position in automotive market while the big fish would love for them to fail and be ripe for a buy out. Tesla selling ZEV credits now allows them to gain capital they otherwise would not be able to to stay competitive.

2019 Bolt EV Premier
post #20 of 168 (permalink) Unread 06-11-2019, 12:47 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 450 Post(s)
Quote:
This is absolutely not true and you need to research how market based instruments work in economics. Without Tesla taking ZEV credits, they wouldn't be able to survive. If the ZEV program wasn't introduced and Tesla couldn't sell their credits, we would not see the EV revolution we are seeing right now. By Tesla taking the credits they are driving down the prices of lithium ion batteries and the technology for EV's. The only reason we are seeing EV's on the roads right now is because of the ZEV credits and similar greenhouse carbon programs across the world. These carbon tax programs are used across every manufacturing field with great success. You are trying to connect the dots, but your logic is completely flawed.
redpoint5 and wesley like this.