User Tag List

9Likes

post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 12:13 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Need more speed.

Finally happened, I got run down from behind with the Bolt maxed out. Nissan Pathfinder, probably a "Detroiter" headed "up North" for the weekend. At the rate he closed on me, must have been doing 100+ mph.

It's not uncommon for the "Detroiters" to cruise home at 90+ mph. I've paced them on my motorcycle. Speed limit is 75 mph.

D-2274 Volt - gone but not forgotten
188005 2017 Bolt Premier
Midland, MI
"This movie (Dr. Zhivago) pulls so many punches and it STILL makes Communism look like the worst idea any human being has ever had"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 03:31 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
So what did the cop say?
Raymondjram and Dimitrij like this.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 04:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by psyflyjohn View Post
So what did the cop say?
Here in NM, when you are going 90, the cops drive by at 100. Then you are instantly passed by three or four small farm trucks following the cop, to be sure and be safe with their speed. *I have really had that experience.

I've been here. I've been there. And I've been in-between.

Driving Electrics since 1973.

Last edited by Terry Hancock; 06-15-2019 at 04:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 08:58 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to surgeonFWW
In this area of WV, many Detroiters come to visit (and to sell their cocaine)! However, they rarely speed. I wonder why!
Terry Hancock likes this.

Rick's blue Bolt
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 09:56 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by surgeonFWW View Post
In this area of WV, many Detroiters come to visit (and to sell their cocaine)! However, they rarely speed. I wonder why!
I was ticketed for going 31 in a 25 in a small town outside of Morgantown. Ticket was over $300. So yes, donít speed in WV!
Raymondjram and surgeonFWW like this.

2017 Bolt EV LT, Sierra White (For Sale!)
2019 Bolt EV Premier, Nightfall Gray Metallic
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 01:28 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 348 Post(s)
Garage
Why the hurry? Don't compete over speed, since you already have a much superior vehicle than that obsolete Nissan. I have a Fusion Hybrid and I see hundreds of imports passing me over the speed limit. I just stay cool and enjoy my 50+ MPG midsized sports-like sedan and drive in peace. They are the one who wear down their gas engine and brake pads, and pay out of their @$$e$ to get multiple oil changes and pad replacements!

In five years I have spent just $45 a year in the annual oil change and filter (which is the ONLY part replaced in those five years) and spent less than $400 a year in gasoline. And I know that in less than four years, those import owners have to replace their "disposable" cars, too, and continue to litter local junk yards with useless vehicles.

You will have your Chevy Bolt EV looking and running as good as new in those four years, while that Nissan owner will be out tossing the vehicle and spending thousands more for a new one. Just pray that he decides for a Leaf instead!

16kW Level 2 JuiceBox EVSE installed and ready
EVSE registered at PlugShare.com

Last edited by Raymondjram; 06-16-2019 at 01:37 PM.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 01:44 PM

Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymondjram View Post
In five years I have spent just $45 a year in the annual oil change and filter (which is the ONLY part replaced in those five years) and spent less than $400 a year in gasoline. And I know that in less than four years, those import owners have to replace their "disposable" cars, too, and continue to litter local junk yards with useless vehicles.
We'll have to agree to disagree on this one. I know many low-priced mid-size and compact cars running fine for 15-20 years and 250,000 miles. All most ask is regular oil and filter changes. Most vehicles live longer than the owner deserves, given the way they're treated.

jack vines
gern_blanston and grommet like this.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shocker View Post
Finally happened, I got run down from behind with the Bolt maxed out. Nissan Pathfinder, probably a "Detroiter" headed "up North" for the weekend. At the rate he closed on me, must have been doing 100+ mph. It's not uncommon for the "Detroiters" to cruise home at 90+ mph. I've paced them on my motorcycle. Speed limit is 75 mph.
Perception is within the individual and cannot be argued; it is what it is. In my younger days, I've driven small cars fast, as well as motorcycles. That was then and this is now; the honking huge quad-cab pickup trucks and giant SUVs prevalent today, plus the incredible speed and density, have so changed our perceptions of what is the norm, I can no longer imagine being out in urban freeway traffic in my Sunbeam Tiger or Triumph Bonneville; it just doesn't feel safe anymore.

OTOH, the Bolt still seems reasonable size and safety to me, but my wife doesn't feel comfortable in it on the freeway. She argues to take the SUV and that's one I let her win.

jack vines
redpoint5 likes this.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 04:13 PM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1671 Post(s)
I drove my Subaru Legacy like a rally racer in my youth, and all I ever did was oil chances, a set of spark plugs and wires, tires and brakes. Probably spent $300 total in the 100k miles I had it. Was still running fine when it was rear-ended at 220,000 miles. Only vehicle that has given me grief is the truck, but that's what trucks do.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
Only vehicle that has given me grief is the truck, but that's what trucks do.
Your experiences vary, or it must be my day to disagree. My experience over sixty years of truck ownership is they're simpler, better built, sturdier and required less maintenance than cars because they had fewer bells and whistles. Because of the barn door aero and lower gearing, what they never did was be fuel-efficient.

Having said that, the line is blurring. The Honda Ridgeline is just a van with pickup box. Subaru had a wagon with a box even earlier.

Only recently did trucks get overly complicated. Then, people who shouldn't own trucks want all the luxury car conveniences, complicating what was a simple beast of burden into a $100,000 King Ranch Harley Davidson Blackwood Sport Utility Truck/ESV.

Father's Day brings to mind my granddad, dad and uncles always bought the least expensive truck Studebaker offered and drove it as long as it could be kept running; they needed cost-effective utility, not a manhood extension. After '64, mother had to force dad to buy a Styleside Chevy with an automatic so she could drive it.

jack vines

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page