User Tag List

17Likes

post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 05:06 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
bolt vs Kona

Anyone on here drove the Hyundai Kona and compared it to the Bolt? I have watched a ton of reviews and they tend to lean toward the kona. I am in houston and I cant test drive either due to the fact that no dealerships sell them here. If you buy one they will have it shipped but just apprehensive about buying something that i cant test drive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 05:50 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Sooo, you're interested in two cars that aren't available in your area. That should stop you in your tracks. What do you think the service will be like? Think they will hire a mechanic trained in electric cars just for you? And purchase expensive diagnostic equipment for him? No way.

Unless you are a dedicated masochist, stay away from cars the have no maintenance support. Perhaps there is a Nissan dealer in your area with experience with Leafs. That may be a better bet.
ZoomZoom likes this.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 06:02 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
OTOH, the Bolt is so stone reliable, mine has not been back to the dealer since we drove it out of there more than two years ago.

Having driven both, the Bolt is the better car. The Kona has a few bells and whistles we miss on the Bolt, but I'd still choose the Bolt.

jack vines
havelka89 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 06:09 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 771 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by psyflyjohn View Post
Sooo, you're interested in two cars that aren't available in your area. That should stop you in your tracks. What do you think the service will be like? Think they will hire a mechanic trained in electric cars just for you? And purchase expensive diagnostic equipment for him? No way.

Unless you are a dedicated masochist, stay away from cars the have no maintenance support. Perhaps there is a Nissan dealer in your area with experience with Leafs. That may be a better bet.
Best I can tell, the Bolt is available in Houston, TX
Sibilance and havelka89 like this.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 06:11 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
I was a bit confused because while the Kona is only sold in a handful of states (which is why I'd never own one), the Bolt is sold everywhere. I googled chevy dealerships in the Houston area. First one that comes up is Mac Haik Chevrolet (closest to Houston). They have 11 (eleven) Bolts in stock for you to test drive!

Mike
havelka89 likes this.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 08:48 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
The nearest Kona EV was 90 miles from me, but after sitting in a Kona and putting a car seat in the back seat, and that made the determination for me to get a Bolt.

I liked Hyundai's warranty, simple button shifter, and felt it was likely more feature rich (such as adaptive cruise, HUD, power and ventilated seats, etc), but none of that would matter to me if I couldn't sit comfortably in it with a pair of children car seats in the back.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 10:56 PM
vex

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I am also in Houston. If you are looking to test drive, Classic Chevy in Sugar Land has several on the lot, LT and Premiere (they are waaaay in the back corner). Texas Direct Auto also has 2 in their Stafford location that you can drive. However call them ahead of time so they can make sure it's charged before you show up.

Mac has several. If you are more south east, Pearland Bayway has one, and it's actually sitting on a platform facing the street!

The Sugar Land dealer also "claims" they have certified techs to service them.

Bolts that is. Kona, can't help you. Welcome to oil country!
havelka89 likes this.

Last edited by vex; 06-30-2019 at 11:01 PM.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 07:21 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 652 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by havelka89 View Post
Anyone on here drove the Hyundai Kona and compared it to the Bolt? I have watched a ton of reviews and they tend to lean toward the kona. I am in houston and I cant test drive either due to the fact that no dealerships sell them here. If you buy one they will have it shipped but just apprehensive about buying something that i cant test drive.
I think you should be able to find Bolts in Houston. Maybe not in every dealership ... ask Mr. Google

I do not know what to think about Kona s availability, because this year they have only sold a few hundred of them.

The Kona is more expensive, even with the *completely undeserved* federal tax credit its buyers are getting.

My feeling is that the Bolt interior is roomier, judging by the gas Kona ... same box, I assume

Or you could wait for a few more months and see what the 2020 Bolt is like. I do not anticipate a newer battery or an updated box, but likely more gadgets for the same money.
havelka89 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 07:53 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
As others have noted, the Kona is definitely more cramped inside. That doesn't really bother me, in fact I like a snug fit.

The Kona has very low gearing, which gives it an inordinate amount of torque from a standstill. Noticeably more than a Bolt. But the Kona loses steam when you get up to speed. For example, the Bolt is much quicker at highway passing.

Going from owning a Bolt to test driving a Kona, the controls felt like a step backwards. I found the push-button gear selection to be awful; it's more of a gimmick than anything useful.

The trunk was shockingly small. I use my Bolt to take my family of 4 camping and road-tripping. I cannot imagine trying to fit our stuff for a week in the trunk of a Kona, and I consider myself pretty adept at utilizing space.
PhilBo and havelka89 like this.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 08:09 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimitrij View Post
I think you should be able to find Bolts in Houston. Maybe not in every dealership ... ask Mr. Google

I do not know what to think about Kona s availability, because this year they have only sold a few hundred of them.

The Kona is more expensive, even with the *completely undeserved* federal tax credit its buyers are getting.

My feeling is that the Bolt interior is roomier, judging by the gas Kona ... same box, I assume

Or you could wait for a few more months and see what the 2020 Bolt is like. I do not anticipate a newer battery or an updated box, but likely more gadgets for the same money.
Thanks for the feedback my major concern also with the kona is that it is its first year in production I know with gas cars thats always a concern. The only thing I am concerned aabout with the bolt is the seats and how you sit higher in the car. I have a long commute daily and so comfort is important. But the bolt still looks like a great purchase.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page