User Tag List

32Likes

post #1 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 10:03 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Question Why shouldn’t I buy a bolt?

Getting ready to buy EV. Moving from A GMC Sierra. I definitely want a hatch back with 200+ range. I am narrowed down to Leaf Plus and Bolt / Premier. I know this forums is pro Bolt and I am leaning that way too. I am a 30 mile daily commuter with a 600 rt drive to see kids and grand kids every 3 months. I am not worried about the charging logistics for this as we would have gas vehicle if needed.

So my question may have been asked but I can find thread if it exists. I see many threads that address Bolt pros and cons. But, to ask a direct question:

1. What are the down sides of EV ownership?
Is Full battery Replacement costs a concern, ever? I hear ~$12k.
2. What are the downsides of the Bolt Premier?

Looking for your thoughts before I decide to EV or Not to EV.

Thank you in advance for your time, thoughts and opinions.

Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 10:16 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
The Leafs are a good car but don't have an active battery cooling system, which can be detrimental if you live in a hot climate. The Bolts have an active cooling system, and other battery protections which are resulting in long lives for the battery. I guarantee you that with either electric car, you won't want to go back to an ICE ever.
Pvillerob and William Pearson like this.
post #3 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 10:49 AM
vex

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
I have test driven every EV available. The Leaf feels higher quality inside. It's a better "car" than the Bolt. It also has more tech features.

However ...the Bolt is a better EV. The lack of thermal battery management in the Leaf will destroy the battery in anything but perfect climates. If you are leasing for 3 years, then yes you might want the Leaf +, so long as you don't go on long trips (charging speed is crippled with fast charging due to overheating). You will be getting rid of it by the time the battery is going out.

If you plan to keep it long term, or do road trips, get the Bolt. GMs EV tech is ahead of Nissan's. Look at 2011 Volts vs 2011 Leafs. All the leafs with original batteries will have degraded to the point where the car can't be driven anywhere. The Volts will show very little drop in range because of the conservative charge management and thermal regulation.

TLDR, Leaf+ is fine for a lease, get the Bolt if you plan to keep it 3+ years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 11:18 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Pearson View Post
But, to ask a direct question:

Depending on how you charge (work, home, public) that's the biggest issue I see. I have free charging at work and have zero need to charge at home. I take advantage of public charging when I'm out and about on the weekends. Otherwise I haven't seen a downside. I have a 80 mile (round trip) daily commute, I'll have 10,000 miles on the car in less than week (4 1/2 months of ownership) and wish I had dumped my 2011 Cruze ECO (38+ MPG) sooner now.

Quote:
Not concerned. Battery life with the thermal management system GM has provided shows to be good for long term ownership. I fully plan to get 200,000+ miles out of this car. I had 246,000+ on my Cruze when I traded it in.

Quote:

Very personal decision here. I didn't need/want the roof racks, or the options (LT) which are standard on the Premier. In the end I still got options on the LT that I didn't want (Diver Confidence II package), but I told the dealer I wasn't going to pay for them so either remove them from the cost or dealer trade for a car that didn't have the option. In the end I walked out with the price I was willing to pay for the LT without the options so I took it.

Bill

2019 Bolt LT, DCFC, C&C, DC1, DC2, Blk Bow Ties
Mods:Tuxmats front and rear, 30% LLumar Ceramic Tint
post #5 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 11:30 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 978 Post(s)
Garage
I own a 2017 Bolt, a 2011 Volt, and a 2011 Leaf.

Hands-down...buy a Bolt. The lack of active battery cooling in the new Leafs is a deal-breaker for me.

Driving electric since 1997!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 12:32 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 348 Post(s)
Garage
There may be a psychological downside: The lack of a starter noise. My present car is a 2014 Ford Fusion Hybrid (I am still waiting for GM to build a better and larger EV) and some of my passengers are scared when the car move forward without ever listening to a normal engine start or even any engine noises when I drive with electricity.

The second psychological downside in a hybrid is to hear the engine shutdown when you stop or when the battery has charged enough by the engine or by regenerative braking. You may panic a bit since a "dead engine" is terrible while driving or at a stop from some past experiences, but as all of us who drive electric, you will get used to it and accept the new quietness. BEV owners are already used to not hearing any engine noise.
Dimitrij and William Pearson like this.

16kW Level 2 JuiceBox EVSE installed and ready
EVSE registered at PlugShare.com
post #7 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 12:52 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
If there are any downsides to owning a Bolt, we haven't discovered them in two years of ownership. We prefer the Bolt so much, the battery on our ICE failed because it was getting driven so seldom and I didn't get around to putting it on a trickle charger.

Quote:
Moving from A GMC Sierra.
Going from driving a pickup to driving the Bolt feels like taking off cement overshoes.

jack vines, who drives a Ford F250 work truck and knows whereof he speaks
William Pearson likes this.
post #8 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 12:54 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 450 Post(s)
Quote:
What are the down sides of EV ownership?
My family drives two EV's over 40,000 miles a year and I can't think of one. Just plan out trips with charging networks! If you don't have a good charging network in your state that could be a huge negative.

Quote:
The battery is warrantied for 8 years or 100,000 miles. Why would this be a concern? I am at 56,000 miles and I have seen about 5% less mileage. I have 90,000 miles on my Tesla Model S and it is at 93.2% of its original capacity. I am also in the Central Valley in California which puts a higher strain on batteries with temperatures. If you have a thermally managed battery you can enjoy for car for somewhere between 200,000 to 500,000 miles these days.

I would not touch the Leaf and its passively cooled battery. It has been hit or miss with the Leaf. Some versions of the Leaf have had great success passively cooling their batteries and some have been the worst degrading batteries of all EV's. I would not trust the 60 kWh Leaf until we see the data.
post #9 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 04:33 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

A: You have to find something to do with the money you will save on oil changes and miscellaneous maintenance of the GMC.

I speak from M3 experience. You will enjoy driving the BEV. I think the only real adjustment will be the size issue of going from Sierra to a Bolt. Everything else will be a positive. Perhaps the size adjustment will be positive too - depending on your needs, desires and how often you need to haul 2 x 4's and appliances.

As far as the bolt goes, I don't think you will find a better value.
I would definitely choose it over Leaf for the battery issues mentioned.
The Bolt is a better value than the M3. Tesla has some cool features you pay up for. Sits too low to the ground for my taste. The "Y" won't be out for a good while.
Never driven a Hyundai BEV. powertrain sounds anemic with 0-60 in the 7's range - which is bad for a BEV. (part of the fun of the BEV is the instant torque)

I like minimalist approach to the "LT" model vs Premiere. Sort of fits the car better to me. - You are buying an electric powertrain - not a luxury car.

good luck and enjoy whatever you decide to do.
rgmichel likes this.
post #10 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 05:01 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Quote:
Downside, it costs more. Same drivetrain as the LT.

Some of the safety features that were exclusive to the Premier are now available for the LT. i.e. driver confidence II package.

I like the leather as it's easy to clean the back seats from the dogs.

I like the rearview mirror they took from the Cadillac. Some older folks struggle with it because the focal point is at the mirror and not in the distance. i.e. needs bifocals to see.

Bird's eye view is sweet. Use it daily. i.e. makes parking and backing up much easier.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page