2Likes

post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 04:12 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Question 2017 Could I have a Lemon? Service Transmission Error

Folks,
A little bit concerned about my 2017 Bolt. It only has 12,000 miles on it. The car would not shift last week in my driveway and just said Service Transmission. It had to be towed to the dealer, where it apparently then started normally, but their tech had to go back and forth with the manufacturer about the issue and they are replacing what I believe they said is the line harness to the control module (?). Also, around 4,000 miles they had to do some software update because the backup camera was stuck on. I have a call into GM because it worries me greatly to have a car still young and under warranty that not only literally could not be moved. I had to nag through to GM as no one had called me back after more than a week and today was told they cannot necessarily guarantee anything and that they had to talk with the dealer before getting back to me. Has anyone experienced getting any buy backs or exchanges from GM for a Bolt still under warranty? Or has anyone had this part replaced? I'm hoping to not be the odd one out who gets stuck with a lemon, and also don't want to try and own a car for years with the worries of it having been gutted open and parts replaced at such low mileage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 04:22 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
I think I recall seeing something on the forums about this in the past and the culprit was faulty harness or connector not the transmission itself. All in all a simple fix covered under warranty. (from what I know about the transmission is a very simple 1 speed unit that reduces speed of the electric drive to something the wheels can use)
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 04:37 PM
Pod

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Last week I got the transmission message and warning light on my 2019. Shortly thereafter, I had difficulties shifting into park on occasion. I took the car to the dealer and they said I needed a new "shifter control module". I assume their technician did something though because it's been working perfectly since I picked it up. I think I'm going to skip the scheduled replacement unless I see the warning or have the problem again.

If you search the forum, there are a number of posts on this specific problem. It's annoying but I don't think it's an actual issue with the drivetrain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 04:46 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 772 Post(s)
there's several reports of this happening on this forum. Tried putting together a laundry list of suspects:

loose connector, shifter bad, chassis control module, low 12V battery, locater module, reprogram range control module.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 05:44 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Stick with the dealer and start documenting every contact. Wouldn't hurt to drop the line,"I hope I don't have to request a new replacement" may motivate them...
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 04:52 AM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1656 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pod View Post
Last week I got the transmission message and warning light on my 2019. Shortly thereafter, I had difficulties shifting into park on occasion. I took the car to the dealer and they said I needed a new "shifter control module". I assume their technician did something though because it's been working perfectly since I picked it up.
I've heard about problems with the shift lever a number of times. I have a theory that the shifter is designed with multiple sensors for each of the shift lever actions (forward, backward, leftward, and the 'P' button) and if they don't agree the car faults out. Shifting is a pretty critical action, so you want to make sure that the car doesn't shift on its own due to (for example) grit getting stuck in a switch - you avoid that by using multiple switches and only activate when they all agree.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 10:19 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Could be worse if You had a Ford gas car. I can't believe these companies STILL do this kind of stuff to customers.
https://www.freep.com/in-depth/money...ct/1671198001/
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 02:30 PM

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
This is a known issue with the shifter/harness on the 2017. It was replaced on mine, and I never saw an issue after that.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 07:28 PM

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
I see it in the lists above. But always be suspicious of the 12v. Yours should be naturally dying soon. They typically go in slow gradations, and look good at the dealer under little or no load. But, when they fall just below normal, especially under the load of latching in the drive battery, there are many types of failure signals.

Again, this type of battery looks fine when you just put a voltmeter across it. Any 12v needs to be tested under full load.

While the 12v may not be the culprit in your case, it is always something to consider...

I've been here. I've been there. And I've been in-between.

Driving Electrics since 1973.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 09:04 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the thread replies, everyone! I had checked the forums but had not yet come across exactly the same issue that I could narrow down how much to be concerned. They have replaced the chassis control module and did a 74 mile road test--guess someone took a joy ride! I do have a service request in at GM, as the dealer apparently does not have much recourse. Of course, GM has dodged my request (could just be the agent assigned to my case) and I am just hopeful that not only this never happens again, but also that I don't have something like this happen once it is out of warranty. I was fortunate to be living 1 mile from a dealer who is urban so sells and maintains a lot of Bolts, and to easily get a loaner car, but it took almost 2 weeks between diagnosis and repair.
XJ12 and Terry Hancock like this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page