·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thank you for the link to the article.

There were so many points the author raised.

If the charger is not free, please let us use our Visa or MasterCard.

Can there be a single app with all charging locations?
How many apps do you install to track charging locations?
What apps do you install?
The author had the ChargePoint app and the PlugShare app and who can guess what other apps.
We won't need apps if/when we can assume charging locations are everywhere, like we assume gas stations are everywhere.
We aren't there yet; charging locations aren't everywhere.

Change state laws so billing is by the kilowatt hour please.
Please don't bill by minutes or hours or have a monthly membership fee.
I read somewhere, a while ago, billing is complicated, partly, because of state laws.
I am guessing billing is complicated for other reasons too.
I don't have a monthly membership when I fill up a gas car at a local gas station.

In this app that tracks charging locations, please list the amperage and voltage each charging station can deliver.
It would be frustrating to own a 200+ mile range, electric car, and try to charge at a slow charging station if one is in a hurry.
On the other hand, if one has plenty of time, one can use a slower charging station, to save money, or to see the sights.
Edited to add, I am suggesting faster charging stations could charge more money per kilowatt hour.

I wish to add one more comment. I don't have an electric car yet, but I have been playing with the PlugShare app.
It appears not every charging station listed in PlugShare is "friendly".
According to comments, some charging station owners only want cars bought from them using their charging stations.
Other charging station owners only want certain brands of electric cars using their charging stations.
Gas stations don't turn you away if you don't own the right model gas car.
The Plugshare app needs a filter one can turn on/off, that filters out these unfriendly charging station owners.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Slow charging isn't a problem but you do make great points about how we pay to use those chargers. The charging companies needs to get together and agree on one method so we don't have to lug around a few membership cards or pay multiple membership fees. This is just deterring people from owning an electric vehicle and confusing people who already owns one.

As for unfriendly plugshare owners, the app is great for locating plugs but it's still best to call ahead and check if they'll let you use it. A PITA but shouldn't be too bad since the Bolt doesn't need as many chargers on a trip as the Leaf.

·
Registered
263 Posts
The charging infrastructure is expanding at an impressive speed considering how small it was a few years ago, hopefully soon we'll only need one charging station app to get us from point A to point B.

This is the first time I'm hearing about unfriendly charging stations and I did a bit of research into it. I feel like the problematic ones are the chargers located at dealerships. I assume if a charger is located at someone's house, they won't really care too much about what car is using the charger.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's interesting to read the comments in that article and how they claim that Tesla still has a shot at taking the long range, or single-car household EV market because of their charging infrastructure. The article highlights the problems that buyers of car outside of Tesla will have to face since they don't have access to the supercharger grid.

We just need a better charging infrastructure and we're getting there, just wish we were getting there faster.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I read somewhere, think it was related to President Obama's push to get a charging infrastructure, the government wants stations capable of 350 KwH placed strategically throughout the country, so people can charge quickly, in 10 minutes.

Until then, access to fast stations may be an issue. Even Tesla, with it's Super Charger Network may be overwhelmed if Tesla delivers on the several hundred thousand Model 3's and those Model 3 owners have paid extra to have the option to use the Super Charger Network.

I could see the Tesla Super Charger network saturated, and Tesla owners filling up the CHAdeMO (and I predict soon enough the CCS) network.

Until the majority of stations are high speed, and I mean 350 KwH, knowing how fast a station can charge may matter. Some of us have the time to use a slower stations, while others may be in a hurry.

I hope people using slow stations will be expected to pay less per KwH, then people who use faster stations, but I'm not confident. If one pays by the minute, not the KwH, one might spend 10 minutes to fill up at a fast station, and an hour at a slow station. I suggest this is another reason price should be based on KwH, not minutes at the station.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think I heard about the Obama clean car thing, something about a loan to include building electric vehicle charging stations. Paying by the KwH seems to be the most logical way to go about it, you don't see gas pumps charging people by the second so why should chargers.

There are around 16,000 electric vehicle charging stations today, a huge increase from the scant 500 stations in 2008. With the rate we're going, we should see a huge infrastructure expansion in the next year or two.

·
Registered
862 Posts
... Paying by the KwH seems to be the most logical way to go about it, you don't see gas pumps charging people by the second so why should chargers....
In some States, only utility companies are allowed to charge for electricity by the kWh.
Oregon passed a law excluding vehicle charging from that restriction.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Legislations are going to have to change with the times, especially with the increasing demand/interest for electric vehicles and it just makes more sense to owners to pay by the kWh and not by the second.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts