Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From BMWBlog

Top Ten reasons why the electric car will make the existing gasoline car obsolete.

1. They’re quicker.

2. They’re quieter.

3. They’re more fun to drive.

4. They’re connected to your home, instead of connected to oil.

5. You charge your car at home, not at the gas filling station. (just like your laundry is done at home and not at the Laundromat)

6. They’re up to 5 times more efficient and1/5th the cost to operate over the lifetime of the car. (energy conservation is wealth creation)

7. You can make your own fuel on the roof of your home.

8. They clean our air. Every EV that replaces a gasoline car makes every breath we take, cleaner and healthier.

9. They’re technologically superior, yet far simpler machines.

10. They will usher in a new transportation future including multiple mobility choices for our cities.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I agree with most of these points. Some of them I think are up for debate. For example, number 3. Are they more fun to drive? Isn't that a matter of opinion? I'm also not sure that they "clean" our air. They may not pollute it, but that is different from actually cleaning the air.

·
Registered
786 Posts
You missed one item for most BEV owners that do their own maintenance (and even for dealer done maintenance): lower cost and easier schedule to follow. As a real example, here is a link to the Chevy Spark EV Owner Manual:
http://www.chevrolet.com/content/dam/Chevrolet/northamerica/usa/nscwebsite/en/Home/Ownership/Manuals and Videos/02_pdf/2015-spark-ev-owners-manual.pdf

Look at Chapter Eleven - Service and Maintenance, and see the table on page 11-4. The coolant is changed every 160,000 miles (or five years) , and the transmission fluid is changed every 100,000 miles or ten years (not shown in this chapter). This is the least costly vehicle to maintain. No gas engine or hybrid vehicle (including the Chevy Volt) can beat this!

·
Registered
786 Posts
I agree with most of these points. Some of them I think are up for debate. For example, number 3. Are they more fun to drive? Isn't that a matter of opinion? I'm also not sure that they "clean" our air. They may not pollute it, but that is different from actually cleaning the air.
They are "fun to drive"! Watch this YouTube video showing a race between a 2013 Chevy Camaro and a 2014 Chevy Spark EV at a traffic light. Guess who wins? :D https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkT8rZj8YH0

The Spark EV has a cabin air filer so in a way it does "clean our air" (at least for the passengers and driver).:laugh:

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You missed one item for most BEV owners that do their own maintenance (and even for dealer done maintenance): lower cost and easier schedule to follow. As a real example, here is a link to the Chevy Spark EV Owner Manual:
http://www.chevrolet.com/content/dam/Chevrolet/northamerica/usa/nscwebsite/en/Home/Ownership/Manuals and Videos/02_pdf/2015-spark-ev-owners-manual.pdf

Look at Chapter Eleven - Service and Maintenance, and see the table on page 11-4. The coolant is changed every 160,000 miles (or five years) , and the transmission fluid is changed every 100,000 miles or ten years (not shown in this chapter). This is the least costly vehicle to maintain. No gas engine or hybrid vehicle (including the Chevy Volt) can beat this!
I'm hesitant to toss lower maintenance costs in as it ends up washing out with the much higher initial purchase price...

·
Registered
786 Posts
I'm hesitant to toss lower maintenance costs in as it ends up washing out with the much higher initial purchase price...
Which is better? A cheap car that will cost thousands to maintain every year, or an expensive one that will never need expensive maintenance and can last FOREVER? Think in long term ownership. I do. My GM cars last an average of 15 years, and my present Buick Regal is twenty years old. The Chevy Bolt could be the last car you and I will ever buy!

Cost is indeed a measure of quality, like a real diamond against a fake glass cut.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Which is better? A cheap car that will cost thousands to maintain every year, or an expensive one that will never need expensive maintenance and can last FOREVER? Think in long term ownership. I do. My GM cars last an average of 15 years, and my present Buick Regal is twenty years old. The Chevy Bolt could be the last car you and I will ever buy!

Cost is indeed a measure of quality, like a real diamond against a fake glass cut.
Perpetual ownership is a foolhardy wish. There will not be a car that lasts forever because that's a death sentence for the company.

The components themselves may not need maintenance annually, but the batteries will degrade and replacement or re purchase will be necessary.

So more like Large maintenance chunks every few years vs consistent maintenance always.

And if you don't want or value the battery replacement and would prefer to repurchase the vehicle, whats the resale on the now limping EV with a spent battery, next to nothing...

I am thinking long term, and unfortunately we haven't seen an EV live past even 10 years yet...

They have to square with basic economic motivations...not rhetoric unfortunately...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts