Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...from the engineers that built it. A cool article by Motor Trend that is worth checking out. In there we learn some insights to the controversial seats! Also maximum charging rate. There are also a lot of really good pictures. Check it out!

11 Cool Bolt Facts!

·
Registered
979 Posts
Interesting article. Makes one think.

I have a question related to cabin pre-heating, charge level & regeneration mode. I don’t have my Bolt yet, nor my Chargepoint EVSE which will come with some modest functions. So I haven’t been able to actually see things in order to better think this through:

Say one is departing one’s garage on a cold morning. At time of takeoff, one wishes to climb into the vehicle having: 1.) a warm cabin say 50 – 60F (& perhaps a warm driver seat and steering wheel too), 2.) immediate brake regeneration mode available upon departure, and 3.) as much range as possible, having satisfied requirements #1 and #2 as first priority. I recognize this will cost some xtra kw’s & hoping our community grid is “clean” and well capacitized.

Might this be programmed somehow using the Bolt’s charge & climate settings and perhaps the EVSE’s programming if needed ? What about over-shooting the regen charge threshold and then sucking it back to the regen point using the heating to drawdown to that magical 88-89% regen availability level.

I do know that with the Bolt running in the garage, I won’t get carbon monoxide poisoning. Are there any noxious fumes of any kind from the battery such that I should move the car outside. (and I now know I won’t burn out any brushes in the electric motor.. and I don’t think I’ll start a fire..?).

Assuming all this is possible, will I have to go out into the garage an hour or so before departure in order to set it up ?

·
Registered
786 Posts
Interesting article. Makes one think.
I do know that with the Bolt running in the garage, I won’t get carbon monoxide poisoning. Are there any noxious fumes of any kind from the battery such that I should move the car outside. (and I now know I won’t burn out any brushes in the electric motor.. and I don’t think I’ll start a fire..?).
I don't have a Chevy Bolt EV but I do know that there are no "noxious fumes of any kind from the battery" because it is hermetically sealed, and that you "won’t burn out any brushes in the electric motor" because the motor has no brushes and it is submerged in transmission fluid.:)

In a few words, it is so sealed that you could run it underwater (I hope you never do).;)

·
Registered
786 Posts
I was going to post the same news, so DaV8or did it sooner.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Didn't think they would reveal a way to prank your neighbor's Bolt EV. Once this knowledge goes mainstream, I can just imagine people doing it for giggles until it's just natural to assume that someone flipped the circuit breaker when the car won't start. :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts