Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,065 Posts
Basically all of the reasons given are real concerns for buyers, maybe with exception of performance.

Everything else mentioned are at least issues for some people. Electricity prices are higher than gasoline prices (per mile of range) in some markets, though this is generally not the case.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Pretty well put together article I think.
Nothing we all don't already know, but
a semi-positive piece on electric cars.

·
Super Moderator
2,580 Posts
Basically all of the reasons given are real concerns for buyers, maybe with exception of performance.

Everything else mentioned are at least issues for some people. Electricity prices are higher than gasoline prices (per mile of range) in some markets, though this is generally not the case.
Very true. However many people make some of these concerns unnecessary road blocks to buying electric. Of all of these points, the single biggest deal killer is still that once or twice a year 400-500 mile trip. Both my wife and my mom are in the market for a new car in the next year or so and a BEV is right out for both of them for this reason. My mom even said, "If Tesla made a gas version, I'd buy that!" because she really likes the way the Model S looks and is looking for a big sedan type vehicle. However she really has no clue what they cost, so I know that even if there was such a thing as a gas Tesla, she wouldn't be buying it.

The second biggest reason IMO and it's not listed in the MSN article is, lack of buying options. In my wife's case, she wants a luxury CUV style vehicle. The only options are the Tesla Model X and the Jaguar iPace. Both are well beyond what she wants to pay. The savings in gas and maintenance isn't going to make up the difference. BEVs that are in her price range are the Bolt, Leaf and a whole host of useless short range compliance cars. Anyhow, no sale.

My mom is the ideal candidate for a BEV and the Tesla Model S fits the bill perfectly. She said she absolutely could not do electric because she would run out of charge and have to get towed. I confronted her and asked- "Do you really drive more than 200 miles every day??!" Of course the answer was no, but, "What if I want to come up and see you?" (about a 400 mile trip). I answered, you could rent a car for that once or twice a year trip. Her response was- "See!! Ha!" as though the solution of renting a car proved her point that buying a BEV was impossible for her. The truth is, she doesn't even drive herself up to see us on her own anymore. She usually rides along with my brother in his van.

Even if I could persuade her to give up on the problem of driving up to visit me, she could never afford the Tesla. What other stylish, large sedan BEV is there? None. She's most likely to buy a new Lincoln Continental, or possibly a Buick Lacrosse and that's OK. She's 81 and I don't need her to join the BEV revolution, I need her to be happy.

·
Registered
6,065 Posts
Even if I could persuade her to give up on the problem of driving up to visit me, she could never afford the Tesla. What other stylish, large sedan BEV is there? None. She's most likely to buy a new Lincoln Continental, or possibly a Buick Lacrosse and that's OK. She's 81 and I don't need her to join the BEV revolution, I need her to be happy.
Old people are examples of excuses taken to the extreme.

My grandmother hasn't driven in the last decade, but she still has her '92 Cadillac that she starts up and idles once a week to keep the battery charged and the fluids circulated. Grandfather died and left behind a brand new Chevy Colorado that sits in the garage, where it will stay until my grandmother passes. He also left behind a 2002 Chevy S-10 that will sit and rot.

I'd love to see the pile of cars accumulated between my parents and grandparents sold, and replaced with a couple BEVs, and consolidate to just 1 truck out of 4. My 64 year old dad's interest is gardening, not EVs, so he'll make no effort whatsoever to own one, even though he has to deal with occasional repairs to the 2002 Camry. I'll never let them buy another gasser though, so eventually they will be in a BEV. Hoping to score a great deal in the coming year as the new Leafs collapse the price of the old ones.

What is it with old people and gardening? Lots of money and time spent when you can get corn for $1 / ear.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
What is it with old people and gardening? Lots of money and time spent when you can get corn for $1 / ear.
Getting way OT, as is our wont here. You could make your own list of eleven reasons people don't garden and those of us who do garden could refute each one, but that wouldn't make you want to garden.

I have friends who won't fly, others who won't go downtown, won't go to church, won't miss church, are worried about GM0s, are vegan, won't go to doctors, won't make a will, know cell phones cause brain cancer. We're all crazy in our own way.

jack vines

·
Registered
692 Posts
Regarding "old" people, I'm 70 and we have two electrics. Yes, there are older folks who dislike new technology. There are also lots of older folks who have the time, money, and environmental awareness to buy one. One dealer I talked to told me that most of his electric customers were older folks - with some surprise in his voice. And by the way - a quiet electric is much easier on our hearing aides !

·
Registered
6,065 Posts
Regarding "old" people, I'm 70 and we have two electrics. Yes, there are older folks who dislike new technology. There are also lots of older folks who have the time, money, and environmental awareness to buy one. One dealer I talked to told me that most of his electric customers were older folks - with some surprise in his voice. And by the way - a quiet electric is much easier on our hearing aides !
Thanks for sharing. As shotel posted, it seems older folk are the ones buying hybrids and EVs.

My explanation is that older people have more disposable income than younger people, less concern with status or image, and more access to home charging (not living in an apt). Perhaps their travels are more predictable, too.

My grandfather was very up to date on technology, but I could never convince him to buy an EV. I was close to getting him onboard with an i3, but his concern was the lack of convenience to throw a garbage bag in the bed. Yes, he bought a Chevy Colorado for the possibility to put a small bag of garbage in the bed and transport it 400ft to my parent's garbage can. He never did use the bed, as my dad took care of the garbage.

·
Registered
501 Posts
redpoint5 said:
Old people are examples of excuses taken to the extreme...

I'll never let them buy another gasser though, so eventually they will be in a BEV...

Wow. Just, Wow.

·
Registered
2021 Bolt Premier
3,521 Posts
Old people are examples of excuses taken to the extreme.

My grandmother hasn't driven in the last decade, but she still has her '92 Cadillac that she starts up and idles once a week to keep the battery charged and the fluids circulated. Grandfather died and left behind a brand new Chevy Colorado that sits in the garage, where it will stay until my grandmother passes. He also left behind a 2002 Chevy S-10 that will sit and rot.

I'd love to see the pile of cars accumulated between my parents and grandparents sold, and replaced with a couple BEVs, and consolidate to just 1 truck out of 4. My 64 year old dad's interest is gardening, not EVs, so he'll make no effort whatsoever to own one, even though he has to deal with occasional repairs to the 2002 Camry. I'll never let them buy another gasser though, so eventually they will be in a BEV. Hoping to score a great deal in the coming year as the new Leafs collapse the price of the old ones.

Have you ever compared the flavor of store-bought versus home-grown vegetables? Night and day. Plus you know what the home-grown veggies have had sprayed on them...or not.

Did you know that Romaine lettuce has a distinctive flavor, when compared to say, butter, or green leaf? You wouldn't know that from store-bought. It all tastes like iceberg. Blecch!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Those kinds of articles irritate me because they make things worse for EV adoption I think. They take real concerns, look at only a single part of the argument that can be dismissed, and declare the problem solved. This just makes people who might be ready for one in a couple of years distrustful of the stories they read.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.