Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Bolt EV Premier Nightfall Gray
374 Posts
It still points out how expensive ($370) these EVSEs are being sold relative to their component cost. The guts of an EVSE is little more than a small power supply, a $8 contactor, and a control board that's the equivalent to a $10 Arduino clone, along with some relatively simple support hardware for ground fault detection, contactor binding detection, and the like. The J1772 cord itself really costs more than triple of everything else.

But why should OEMs get away with offering limited EVSEs with EVs? Imagine if one had to buy an aftermarket device in order to fill a gas tank at its maximum rate. Folks would flip out over the idea.

ga2500ev
GM charges $525 for the stock 120V EVSE. If they did an OEM contract with Mustart to supply the Travelmaster as a stock cord, and offered the various adapters as optional items, surely they could source it for close to what they pay Clipper Creek for the current cord. Include the 5-15 plug and cord, then everything else optional.

·
Registered
47 Posts
If a manufacturer could break the market with price, and become more efficient and profitable, you'd see it. Biggest bar to lower cost is batteries and their weight, which is self-defeating.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
As said, you must use an 'adapter' to have 240V on a typical 120V outlet so you can plug in the stock L1.
This is an unsafe and 'not to code' adapter to have in your garage.
The stock L1 is also restricted by its internal relay size and the input cable.

If you already have a 240V outlet rated for 20A or 40A, why not open your billfold a tiny bit more and get a proper L2?
It takes 40A service to get the Bolts 7.2 kW 7.7 KW charging capability.
$330 for a 32A L2 with a NEMA 14-50 plug! (at that place...)
Fixed that for you... drives me nuts when this misinformation is not corrected.

Keith

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
The Bolt takes 32A @ 240V which is 7680 W. Your original post stated the max charging power is 7.2 kW, which is 30A @ 240V.

Keith pointed out that the max charging speed is 7.7 kW.

ga2500ev
Yeah, but I think the spec of the onboard charger is 7.2kW. Not all the power that is available makes it to the battery.

·
Registered
5,334 Posts
The maximum limits into the onboard charger are 240+ volts (I sometimes see 245 V in my garage) and 32 amps. The input power appears to be limited to 7.7 kW. The output can't be 100%. It looks to be ~95% efficient. I don't recall the highest output I have seen, but here are a couple screen shots I had around.

car preconditioning.jpg Charging at Peaks of Otter.jpg

·
Registered
511 Posts
Yeah, but I think the spec of the onboard charger is 7.2kW. Not all the power that is available makes it to the battery.
It's not speced at 7.2 kW according to GM. Here's a link to an application GM submitted to the EPA. On page 25 under "Flexible or Alternate Fuels" it shows the onboard charger as 7.6 kW.

GM Bolt EPA application

ga2500ev

·
Registered
5,334 Posts
The two screen shots I posted tell you everything there is to know. At higher than 240 volts AC input it is throttling back to not exceed 7.7 kW AC. The output is 7.3 kW DC. At 206 volts AC, it is putting out its max 32 amps for 6.6 kW AC, and the output is 6.3 kW DC. In both cases the output is about 95% of the input.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Hello Everyone,

Thank You so much for the feedback.

Sorry for my delayed response I was relocating.

I was able to contract out an electrician who specializes
in L2 EV installs.

The electrician determined the following.

The Quick220 would not work since I do not have a 2nd outlet on a separate phase.

All of the other conditions for the Quick220 were met.

The circuit is 15A. The circuit can hold the 12A charge from the EV without tripping.

The electrician provided me an estimated L2 upgrade. He determined he could run a 220v

the line from the electrical meter/circuit panel to the garage which is 50ft away. Cost $2600.

I am renting this condo so it is not feasible for me.

I will just retain the 120v outlet @ 12A.

My question is can I use this extension cord.

The reason for the extension cord is the electrical outlet is right above the vehicle. With the vehicle 120v power adapter the brick portion dangles above the vehicle and wants to avoid it disconnecting prematurely and smashing the windshield or damaging the vehicle.

I just want to get the extension 8-10 ft from the garage unit to the wall where the OEM EVSE would be more stable.

Thank You

V/R

·
Registered
85 Posts
Yes.
15 ft. of 12ga. wire is fine for your L1.
(Of course the lawyers at GM say otherwise...)

This can be seen on any 'Wire Gauge Calculator'.

·
Registered
232 Posts
My question is can I use this extension cord.

For reference, the wiring inside the walls for the 15amp circuit are 14 gauge. Using an extension that's the right length is best practice, but if there is extra length, don't coil it up compactly. This will let heat build up, and while a 12A draw on 12 AWG wire should only get warm, it's best practice to not coil it up tight.

41 - 55 of 55 Posts