Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
5 days ago my 2019 Bolt purchased December 30th with 6400 miles had an issue. It was taking longer to initialize when starting, and then it refused to shift into reverse or drive, and shortly after that it bricked. It seemed that there was insufficient voltage as the lights would dim when I tried to shift or run the air conditioner while is was trying to get it to start. I was also unable to shut it off with the start button as when I pushed it to try to stop it would just reinitialize again. The Infotainment system shut down and it was non responsive after that. It was towed to the dealer, they found the 12 volt batter would not charge. They have not been able to find the proper battery, and Chevy says that only the correct battery is acceptable.
I have a couple of questions has anyone else had this happen, and has anyone else used a battery other than the OEM 12 volt.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
I have a couple of questions has anyone else had this happen...
There have been a number of discussions about 12V battery issues. The car is never completely "off", so the battery will drain over time. The car has an algorithm to wake up every so often to top up the 12 battery from the main traction battery, but it's less aggressive when the main battery's state of charge is low. Many of us (including me) suspect that 12V battery problems in newer cars stem from the car having sat unattended on a dealer lot for several months, running down the battery. It can be recharged, but once the battery has been run down like that it's never quite the same again.

·
Registered
555 Posts
As mentioned several time previously, the 12V battery seems to be the weak point in the system, and can cause a lot of different reporting errors on the car's computer. I always put it on a small charger overnight on my monthly maintenance routine to desulphate it and bring it up to ideal charge...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got my car back from the dealer yesterday. Apparently the 12V batteries are hard to come by. They found one at another dealer and had it shipped in. GM didn't have any, and the old part number had been superseded. It was 20 days to get a new 12V battery.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
I got my car back from the dealer yesterday. Apparently the 12V batteries are hard to come by. They found one at another dealer and had it shipped in. GM didn't have any, and the old part number had been superseded. It was 20 days to get a new 12V battery.
In the past, I've measured under the hood of my (out of warranty) vehicle to find the largest battery that will fit the space, gone to a reputable auto parts store, and tell the guy to get me the highest quality AGM that's no larger than the dimensions I provide, with posts in the right locations. Takes a bit of back and forth to the shelves (and a paper measuring tape), but works every time. I usually end up with a battery far superior to the OEM, at a much lower price than the dealer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts