Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A covered cake pan, 1,200 watt inverter, a 12-volt circuit breaker, a power strip and some GOOP allow for multiple 120-volt connections to run power tools, a refrigerator, or (I hope, my home heating system (a gas fired hydronic system drawing about 400-watts), and internet access during power outages). Hope this helps others.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I am glad to post additional details and pictures if there is interest by others in the specifics of doing this.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Thanx!
I was thinking about this as a possible backup for a power outage.
Initially I was thinking about the fridge and was worried the Bolt might not be able to handle it when the defrost cycle kicks in, but then I starting thinking about the numbers. (I don't have a KillAWatt to measure)
Most fridges just plug into a standard 120v socket, so that is a 15A max at the circuit breaker.
So the most I would think any single device would pull is 1800 watts. But that is max, and I can't imagine any device pushing up against that 15A. I would think (as they say with EVSEs we have), a 15A breaker is going to be used for circuits drawing about 12A, which puts that at 1440 watts. And I'd think, most devices will be below that.
So I would think 1200w or so should be fine. (I have read that the Bolt can handle 1500 or 1600 watts at the battery (I have read both numbers... Not sure which is the actual max))
Obviously, when you run multiple devices, it can add up tho...

I have a couple of inverters in my Amazon cart (in save for later) in fact. ;-)

That said, my concern is connecting it. (And I haven't looked at the Bolt battery access)

It would be nice to have some type of plug/unplug spot I could add, but I didn't see any easily premade connectors/plugs at the higher amperages and I don't have a crimper for cables that large.
Otherwise, if there is an easy spot to add the positive (there are generally easier spots to add the neg) when needed.
I have also thought about clip ons (such as the jumper cable type), but that doesn't feel right to me for something I would be using for multiple hours...

So, I am considering it and gathering info/thoughts. This is perfect information! :)
Thanx,

·
Registered
220 Posts
Beware the bootleg off-brand inverter from Amazon, and good call on the fuses. If any of your equipment starts making weird noises or buzzing that you don't normally hear when it's getting shore power, dump it ASAP.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will do that. Thank you very much. I was careful to purchase a pure sign wave inverter.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am glad to post additional details and pictures if there is interest by others in the specifics of doing this.
Thanks Phuber, yes I would love more info. If its not too much trouble a list of what components you used and step by step instructions, but I know that asking a lot.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts