Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
350 Posts
You can get a 30a 120/240v EVSE for $375. Add a pigtail or two for various outlets, and you're good to go for emergencies.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I very well might end up with a “turbocord” or that type of thing for a few/several hundred dollars. ( BTW $375 USD hits my credit card @ $510 CAD).

For an item that’ll be rarely used if at all, I’d be happier to have it sit back there for a lot less upfront cost. And will be happy to have trickle charging backup, only 120v 8A-12A.

·
Registered
181 Posts
But OMG there?s going to be no cord in the back compartment riding along as a security blanket ? Even though there?s a 95+% chance I?d never need the 120v cord anyway?
Comments appreciated.
Do you carry around a container with a liter of gasoline in your internal combustion engine car?

·
Registered
16 Posts
No need to carry a can of gasoline in your ICE vehicle since every 1/4 mile in almost every metropolitan city there's a gas station and on the interstate every 5 miles a gas station.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do you carry around a container with a liter of gasoline in your internal combustion engine car?
If my ICE vehicle fired up it's engine on its own accord and schedule. In order to run the aircon or heater by itself, in order to maintain its inside environment. Kind of like the way the Bolt uses energy for battery conditioning.

And if I was parking that ICE vehicle for a time at a remote location. Then yes, I'd think about packing a gas can.

How does one go about connecting the 5-wires supplying the J1772 plug, to 3-wire 120v supply ?

·
Banned
350 Posts
How does one go about connecting the 5-wires supplying the J1772 plug, to 3-wire 120v supply ?
One buys or makes an EVSE.

You are missing all the parts about the safety aspects... Two of those wires are signal wires that tell the car how much the EVSE can safely supply, and there are some computer/firmware and electronic bits needed to make it happen. The car will not charge without correct communication with an EVSE.

Make your own, or learn what's involved at http://www.openevse.com/

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks EldRick. Yeah I was afraid that was going to be the answer.

Looks like my DIY / Make My Own idea is going to be too expensive. Components required to build an “OpenEVSE” needed to provide the control and signal circuit between the 120v supply and the J1772, are too pricey.

Can’t see myself with that $40 Fiat cord off ebay. I’ll have to keep looking.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Neither the Fiat $40 one or the latest Fiat $51 (current bid) level 1's, ship internationally. I'm SOL. Besides I don't think I could face that Fiat logo. Voltec would be okay.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks bro for the video ! At minute 3 it shows the guy’s Fiat cord. Maybe a Fiat cord ain’t so bad after all.

My dealer didn’t know about the 120v cord or lack thereof. I just concluded what I did, based on the gm.ca (Cdn) website publications (see pic below). And the fact that the Cdn Bolt comes with DCFC adapter as “standard”, (not optional like $750 in US) included in Cdn base model price. So it’s logical to have a quid pro quo(s) for that Cdn-specific DCFC status. One of which is: Cdns to pay thru nose C$765 for yer first 120v trickler. Although I see the C$765 was the same for Volt so at 765 that’s fair game I guess.

Attachments

·
Registered
100 Posts
What, no stock 120v charging cord with a Canadian Bolt?? That can't be right. That'd be like selling a gas car new, but not including the engine oil and with a dry gas tank from the factory.
I would have said that adding the extra 120v charging cord in an electric car is comparable to leaving a gallon of gas in your trunk. You know, just in case you don't have the range and don't want to find a EV/Gas station.

Most people don't carry an emergency supply of fuel. (unless you're a tow truck).

I can't imagine I'd ever charge it at 120V. It would have to sit there for days.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Another angle. There’s something to be said about the availability of free amps and perhaps preferential parking to boot.

If a place is going to be a good host for my EV for a time but only offers 120v. With my trickle cord in hand I’ll still be able to say: well alrighty then ! !

btw: If anyone thinks that that cord in the back is just a waste of space...I'll gladly arrange shipping and customs clearance for it heading to Toronto. I'm pleased to take it off your hands.

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
What, no stock 120v charging cord with a Canadian Bolt??
I'm pretty skeptical about this. The Volt comes with the cord in Canada and I can't imagine selling an electric-only car with no way to charge it. My guess is that the existence of a build web site option to buy a second charger is being misinterpreted as meaning that the car doesn't come with one. That happened in the past with the Volt, and so it seems pretty likely that it's happening again with the Bolt EV.

·
Super Moderator
2,067 Posts
I'm pretty skeptical about this. The Volt comes with the cord in Canada and I can't imagine selling an electric-only car with no way to charge it. My guess is that the existence of a build web site option to buy a second charger is being misinterpreted as meaning that the car doesn't come with one. That happened in the past with the Volt, and so it seems pretty likely that it's happening again with the Bolt EV.
Seriously, that would be a serious fail. If the Volt (and Spark EV) shipped with the 120v cord in Canada, the Bolt should as well. It probably is some oversight on the CA website.

·
Registered
69 Posts
That option is for you to have a SECOND charger that you leave in your car at all times, while you leave the one that was included in the price in your garage.

Chevy would never sell the Bolt without an L1 EVSE included.

I currently have a Volt, so I'm familiar with using an EV, and I do plan on buying a Bolt when they get to Ohio. I will charge the Bolt off 110V each night. Why? Because most days I will only use 30-40 miles of range and can easily be full by the next morning.

If we take the Bolt on a 150 mile trip some weekend, I can plug it in Sunday evening, wake up with plenty of range for Monday's needs, then start charging again at 5:00PM on Monday, and wake up on Tuesday with even more range. Repeat.

Also, we're a 2 car household. If the Bolt was our only vehicle, that might make 240V a bit more necessary.

·
Registered
118 Posts
FYI: I have a couple of 120v 1772 plug ensembles (including the one that came with the Bolt), that sit on a shelf in my garage, to be returned when my leases expire. I don't carry them in the car, if I need a charge when I am out, I find a level 2 station (or a DC Fast charge station), where it is substantially faster to charge. Level 1 charging is just too slow, for my liking when away from home, and when I am home, I have 2 Level II hookups in the garage for my EVs.

...btw: If anyone thinks that that cord in the back is just a waste of space...I'll gladly arrange shipping and customs clearance for it heading to Toronto. I'm pleased to take it off your hands.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts