Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All I have been meaning to do this for a while and I finally was able to get to it today. I'm going to list out what I did and what happened. First though I want to go over what happened when I disconnected the 12v battery with no KAM saver.

I have the 12v battery disconnected for between 15 and 30 minutes (approximately) and the only setting that appear to have been lost are the energy preferences. The trip meter, all the vehicle settings, etc are still there. I think the tire pressure were also cleared and will be pulled again when the vehicle is driven.

1) I opened the fuse box and made sure all fuses and relays were firmly seated. I was surprised that many of them were not all the way in!

2) Next I located my 3/8 " socket and remove the battery contact.

3) I used my brand new load tester to test the battery. It read pretty much perfect at the top of the green range resting. I loaded it for 15 seconds and it dropped to the bottom of the green range under load but did not go into the weak or bad voltage zones.

4) The last thing I did is reconnect everything and put my 1A trickle charger on to top up.

The last couple of months I have had several strange incidents with the vehicle and at this point I think I can safely rule out a defective 12v battery.

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
[
I have the 12v battery disconnected for between 15 and 30 minutes (approximately) and the only setting that appear to have been lost are the energy preferences. The trip meter, all the vehicle settings, etc are still there. I think the tire pressure were also cleared and will be pulled again when the vehicle is driven.
What are the energy preferences? Haven't had my coffee yet so my brain is a little fuzzy. What model year is your Bolt again? Seem to recall others mentioning losing hill top reserve setting (later models have some other kind of charge level setting). Is that an energy preference?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The charge settings and efficiency info. Hilltop is one of the settings that gets lost. I have a 2017 Premier. Yes IIRC 2019 and newer have a target charge level that replaces the hilltop reserve setting and allows greater control over charge levels.

I'm going to grab some coffee myself. ☕

Reactions: XJ12

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I documented the load testing via a YouTube Video.

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
Note: Battery terminal nuts are 10mm. I suppose you could make a 3/8 work but it would be tight.
Since I have nothing else to do, I just went out to check. A 3/8" open end wrench will not fit. Nor will a six point. A 12 point just fits. A 7/16" open end it way too big, and, of course, a 10 mm fits perfectly.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
10mm seemed loose to me so I went with 3/8 six point socket.

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
Note: Battery terminal nuts are 10mm. I suppose you could make a 3/8 work but it would be tight.
Yeah - I carry a 10mm wrench in the car so that if I ever need to be towed I can disconnect the 12V battery. That prevents the car from applying the parking brakes when it senses it's moving.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts