Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Every relative / friend I stay with on road trips has and electric dryer, so having an EVSE that is adjustable down to 24 amps is a wonderful thing. I can use 32 amps at an RV park (haven't actually done this yet) or 24 amps at friends / relatives homes. I also have a 50' long "extension cord" made from a welding station extension that I placed the correct plug and receptacle on for my EVSE. I was able to use this on Monday to take power from the dryer outlet at the back of my wifes Aunt's home out to her driveway in front of the home to plug in my Bolt.

Later,

Keith
Been there...done that. I did come across a fairly new house (20 years old?) that didn't have the 30A dryer outlet. Nat gas only, and their outlets were all 15A. Charging at 8A takes freakin' forever. Fortunately, I was there for a few days.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I'll say it again. 30% Tax credit for installation (labor and materials) of an EVSE. IRS will never know you also take it "on the road" occasionally. As long it has place on your wall and a plug in your garage you are golden.

Not exactly true. There is no 40 amp receptacle. As such a 40 amp circuit by code could have a 14-50 receptacle on it. The wiring and breaker must still be appropriately sized.

ga2500ev
Thanks for the correction.

·
Registered
429 Posts
The Tesla UMC is fairly cheap, but you also need a Tesla-to-J1772 adapter to use it with the Bolt. However this adapter also lets you charge the Bolt at a Tesla "Destination" charger (which everyone else calls an "L2" charger), which gives you even more flexibility.

You simply can't beat the Tesla UMC + Tesla-to-J1772 adapter combo for keeping in the car as a charge-anywhere kit.
I'll second this recommendation. The Tesla UMC + J1772 adapter + NEMA 14-50 plug will cover the most common cases (RV parks) and you can buy additional adapters as-needed for the less common ones. It's compact, well-built and reliable kit and while at $550 it is not that cheap, it's well worth it if you like to travel to less EV-friendly parts.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Been there...done that. I did come across a fairly new house (20 years old?) that didn't have the 30A dryer outlet. Nat gas only, and their outlets were all 15A. Charging at 8A takes freakin' forever. Fortunately, I was there for a few days.

I always ask ahead of time to find out if a relative / friend I am staying with is #1 OK with me plugging in, and #2 has an electric dryer. Even though we know charging an EV is inexpensive I always offer to pay for the power when explaining how cheap it is... never had anyone take me up on it but I am always prepared. This weekend, the only CCS in the city is a new Harley Davidson dealership, so slow as molasses... really happy the relatives were able to provide :)

Keith

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
I'll say it again. 30% Tax credit for installation (labor and materials) of an EVSE. IRS will never know you also take it "on the road" occasionally. As long it has place on your wall and a plug in your garage you are golden.
Here's more info on the 30% FED Tax credit...

A couple of posts about it...

And the IRS Form 8911 and instructions:

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
I always ask ahead of time to find out if a relative / friend I am staying with is #1 OK with me plugging in, and #2 has an electric dryer. Even though we know charging an EV is inexpensive I always offer to pay for the power when explaining how cheap it is... never had anyone take me up on it but I am always prepared. This weekend, the only CCS in the city is a new Harley Davidson dealership, so slow as molasses... really happy the relatives were able to provide :)

Keith
Yup, I usually ask ahead at friend's/relative's houses, too. This was at an AirBnB for a large, multi-day family reunion/60th anniversary party, 150 miles from home. I didn't want to go there, with a call to the owner...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Every relative / friend I stay with on road trips has and electric dryer, so having an EVSE that is adjustable down to 24 amps is a wonderful thing. I can use 32 amps at an RV park (haven't actually done this yet) or 24 amps at friends / relatives homes. I also have a 50' long "extension cord" made from a welding station extension that I placed the correct plug and receptacle on for my EVSE. I was able to use this on Monday to take power from the dryer outlet at the back of my wifes Aunt's home out to her driveway in front of the home to plug in my Bolt.
What about the friends / relatives who have their dryer plugs in the basement? How do you get the big extension cord from the dryer plug to the car outside without leaving doors or windows open?

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Or this one for $252.69 which I've been using. They do accept lower offers BTW.
The Morec 32A EVSE does not have a current adjustment on the unit, right? So, hooking up to a Bolt will mean charging at 32A only, correct?

Also, looks like it will only charge around 240v, so no 120v flexibility.

·
Registered
642 Posts
The Morec 32A EVSE does not have a current adjustment on the unit, right? So, hooking up to a Bolt will mean charging at 32A only, correct?

Also, looks like it will only charge around 240v, so no 120v flexibility.
That is correct. No current adjustment and 240V only at 32A, no 120V.

·
Registered
24 Posts
The 50A circuit can handle up to 80%, or 40A before the breaker would be tempted to trip.

I have both a Bolt and an eTron. The eTron’s portable charger had both a level 1 plug and a level 2 plug, which I will assume is a 14-50 plug. My understanding is that the Bolt’s portable charger can also handle level 2 current, but you need the correct plug. The car will control what it can take, regardless of amperage, maxing out at 32A.

We typically charge both vehicles with a ClipperCreek HCS-60R, which is hardwired at 60A. CC makes other smaller units which are plug-in to a 14-50 receptacle.

·
Registered
37 Posts
So, understanding how circuits and how electricity works is not my strong suit, so bear with me.

I recently upgraded from a Volt to a 202 Bolt. I'm looking at getting a portable 14-50 level 2 charger. If I get a 32amp charger, what will happen if I plug that into a 14-50 outlet that doesn't have 32amps? (say, it has 20 amps). Will the car try to take 32 amps and trip the circuit?

I'm looking to get one portable level charger that would be useful in the most places. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Get estimates... had an electrician install mine, I bought it online. Nothing fancy, 350.00 and 75.00 to install it. I purchased everything he said he needed at Home Depot. I went with the plug in vs hard wire. They will eventually go bad. It’s 4plus years old, no issues. Charging two Leafs 2012/2013 till 26 days ago, we purchased a 2020 Bolt Premiere.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
The 50A circuit can handle up to 80%, or 40A before the breaker would be tempted to trip.
This isn't accurate. The 80% rule is a conservative rule that says that for continuous loads (defined as three hours our more), you shouldn't use more than 80% of the max amperage. The goal is to prevent heat buildup over an extended period.

EVSEs must follow the 80% rule because in many situations they'll charge longer than three hours.

There is no guarantee that a breaker will actually trip if you draw 100% for more than three hours. Odds are high that it won't, especially in the wintertime.

For a while I pulled our JuiceBox Pro 40 into a 30 amp dryer outlet. I usually derated it to 24A, but when I planned on charging for less than three hours, I'd draw more. First time I plugged it in, I actually accidentally drew 32A for a couple of minutes, with no breaker trip and no harm done.

·
Registered
3 Posts
So, understanding how circuits and how electricity works is not my strong suit, so bear with me.

I recently upgraded from a Volt to a 202 Bolt. I'm looking at getting a portable 14-50 level 2 charger. If I get a 32amp charger, what will happen if I plug that into a 14-50 outlet that doesn't have 32amps? (say, it has 20 amps). Will the car try to take 32 amps and trip the circuit?

I'm looking to get one portable level charger that would be useful in the most places. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
it will draw 16 amps max

21 - 39 of 39 Posts