Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone mounted 15" wheels with 205/65R15 tires?

I've ordered a 2017 Bolt that will be delivered in a month or so, but there are some great deals going on for 205/65R15 winter tires where I am right now. That tire size carries the same 25.5" overall diameter as the factory standard 215/50/R17, but this sale aside, has way more options at way lower prices.

I've checked with some shops and they can order 15" rims for the Bolt from wholesalers, but none have actually installed them before, and since I don't have the vehicle yet I can't do a test fit.

Don't want to buy the tires and be left holding the bag if I can't find a compatible 15" wheel.

Doesn't look like this has been answered in any other threads, but if I am mistaken, please redirect me. I've seen the threads about the 16" wheels, and I am specifically interested in 15".

Thanks.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I know Tire Rack will list 15" rims for the Bolt, and if any retailer can check on fit, I'd assume they would. Also, on another group, a member found this 15" rim that is listed as fitment for the Bolt. If you look at the other vehicles it will fit, it lists compatibility with the Cruze, Sonic, and Volt. This is not the same as actually putting the rims on and getting first-hand confirmation, but all of the information seems to be enough to affirm the fit.

http://rssw.com/macpek/entries/view/num_produit:AGM557A/year:2017/make:Chevrolet__GMC/model:Bolt/diameter:15/selected_diameter:15/lang:eng

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, Rick. Is it the general rule that things that fit Cruze's, Sonics, and Volts also fit Bolts?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update: picked up my Bolt last week and just had this combo mounted at the dealer, so it does indeed work. Got the tires themselves from Canadian Tire, but the dealer supplied the rims, so it's definitely legit.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ride was palpably more cushioned as soon as I got in. No noticeable drop in mileage yet, but I've only done about 10km and haven't hit the highway.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Gonna need some pics, jurg. You gotta pump those (posts) numbers up so we can see some pics!

Seriously, do the 15" wheels look like doughnuts on your Bolt now versus the old 17" wheels? I'm intrigued by the "palpably more cushioned" ride but can't seem to get over how 15" wheels with thicker tires will look to maintain the same OEM wheel+tire diameter of 25.5" (from Tire Rack).

·
Registered
220 Posts
I like it! I've got 195/65-15's inbound for winter as well. I always find the extra sidewall compliance a huge blessing for the massively degraded road conditions during winter months. For pristine roads and good weather, follow circle track trends; for winter roads approaching third world conditions, follow rallyX trends!

·
Registered
679 Posts
I like it too, can't ever go wrong with no nonsense steelies. Personally I'm luke warm on the stock 'fancy' wheel design. They are nice enough, but they could went with something better. Like those sexy Cruze Eco wheels, that naked aluminum I dig.

I bet your city range will improve, getting the mass of the rim closer to the center of rotation should help in stop and go.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
That looks pretty imposing (in a good way)! The black steelies compliment the thicker tires give it an imposing look. I'm going to start keeping an eye out for deals on 15" Pirelli Cinturato tires and some black wheels.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I like it! I've got 195/65-15's inbound for winter as well. I always find the extra sidewall compliance a huge blessing for the massively degraded road conditions during winter months. For pristine roads and good weather, follow circle track trends; for winter roads approaching third world conditions, follow rallyX trends!
How did the 195/65-15s end up for your Bolt? I'm looking at getting some Hakkas R2 in this size. Saw them for sub-$100 on Walmart. Also, did you put them on their own wheels? If so, which ones?

Thank you!

·
Registered
220 Posts
They are working great so far, no trouble. I put them on the 15" steel wheels from Tire Rack, and I've recently put a set of those 15" moon hubcaps on for aerodynamics. I think most people would shy away from the hubcaps, they are not exactly "in style" at the moment, but...

Form follows function. :)

I still don't have enough data to tell if the hubcaps do anything. As far as the tires and wheels go though, the 195/65/15's are both efficient, and cheap!

·
Registered
303 Posts
I will be using 16's on my Bolt, they are left overs from my Trax, the wheels originally came off a Chevy Spark.

I bought almost new takeoff Spark wheels on ebay for 250 shipped, back in 2015 when I had the Trax., Chevy Cruze wheels also work.

I had these dedicated snows on my 15 Trax then on a 16 Encore, I install them the day before a predicted good sized snow storm, then take them off as soon as my country roads clear.

You can find better deals on 16's than you can 17 or 15, 15" wheels and tires are starting to get difficult to find, without paying a large premium for them.

·
Registered
220 Posts
When I was shopping just a few months ago the 15's were like 25-30% cheaper and you get the taller sidewall and narrower tire, which is absolutely awesome on snow and ice! All of my four most recent cars were 15's, so I don't have much else to compare to, but every time I was looking to upsize (for summers), they were more expensive to go bigger. I never had any trouble finding 15's either, they always seem to be stocked everywhere. I wonder if it is a regional thing?

·
Registered
8 Posts
They are working great so far, no trouble. I put them on the 15" steel wheels from Tire Rack, and I've recently put a set of those 15" moon hubcaps on for aerodynamics. I think most people would shy away from the hubcaps, they are not exactly "in style" at the moment, but...

Form follows function. :)

I still don't have enough data to tell if the hubcaps do anything. As far as the tires and wheels go though, the 195/65/15's are both efficient, and cheap!

Wow. Fast response! Thank you for sharing the photo and explanation. Those hubcaps are downright OG! You basically pushed me over the fence. Thank you!

Also, it looks like you went with the Michelin X-Ice XI3s amiright?

Now I have to start this process all over again for my 2015 Toyota Highlander XLE. Haha.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Yup I did the Michelin X-Ice, they seem quite popular on the EV's and the Bolt in particular. We're quite happy with them so far!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Awesome! Do you think going with the 195s instead of 215s or 205s decreases stability by a significant amount?
For winter driving, quite the opposite in fact. I prefer the narrow profiles, they clear slush and snow better by increasing ground contact pressure and minimizing the distance centerline to outer edge. Most performance winter driving and offroad/military applications have used this narrow tire preference for decades for this reason. Even high HP pro rally cars go narrower and taller for rough track or degraded conditions, and they ain't slow!

If you want to carve up smooth asphalt twistys, it's another story. But I drive my Bolt on regular public roads at like, grandma commuting speed! 10 or 15mm makes no difference in sane driving scenarios, you just never reach max lateral G's even on the narrow meats unless you are drivin' crazy...:D

·
Registered
14 Posts
Nice! I just added the same tires that you did. When you say drive gramma commuting speeds how fast are you going? I have a 35-mile commute each way and I go anywhere from 45 to 65 depending upon traffic on the highway. Does the thinner wheel make it bad to travel anything past 70 you think?

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
About this Discussion
56 Replies
24 Participants
scooter123
Chevy Bolt EV Forum
We’re the Largest Chevy Bolt EV Online Community and Owner's Club. Join to discuss sport mode, reviews, battery range and charging!
Full Forum Listing