Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
They are working great so far, no trouble. I put them on the 15" steel wheels from Tire Rack, and I've recently put a set of those 15" moon hubcaps on for aerodynamics. I think most people would shy away from the hubcaps, they are not exactly "in style" at the moment, but...

Form follows function. :)

I still don't have enough data to tell if the hubcaps do anything. As far as the tires and wheels go though, the 195/65/15's are both efficient, and cheap!

Nice! I just added the same tires that you did. When you say drive gramma commuting speeds how fast are you going? I have a 35-mile commute each way and I go anywhere from 45 to 65 depending upon traffic on the highway. Does the thinner wheel make it bad to travel anything past 70 you think?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Update: picked up my Bolt last week and just had this combo mounted at the dealer, so it does indeed work. Got the tires themselves from Canadian Tire, but the dealer supplied the rims, so it's definitely legit.
Would you still happen to have the GM part number for the rims? I am in Burlington and also looking at winter 205/65/R15's at Canadian Tire.
Also, have you noticed good caliper snow/ ice/ other clearance as the winter continues?

Also, did you install TPMS?

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/4pcs-OEM-Tire-Pressure-Sensors-TPMS-13586335-15123145-15254101-25952370-22854866/282832576368?fits=Model:Bolt+EV&hash=item41da229f70:g:6PwAAOSwWktadEKU&vxp=mtr

And re-learn tool?

[ame]https://www.amazon.ca/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=VXDAS+EL-50448[/ame]

·
Registered
424 Posts
Well it's been a month and I know I'm curious to see if it raised Your range and miles per kW. The most I've ever gotten stock was 5.2 miles / kW with slow driving and 70 degree temps in Florida.

·
Registered
424 Posts
They are working great so far, no trouble. I put them on the 15" steel wheels from Tire Rack, and I've recently put a set of those 15" moon hubcaps on for aerodynamics. I think most people would shy away from the hubcaps, they are not exactly "in style" at the moment, but...

Form follows function.

I still don't have enough data to tell if the hubcaps do anything. As far as the tires and wheels go though, the 195/65/15's are both efficient, and cheap!

Black bolt how well are the new wheel/ tires/ aero hub-cap combo working as far as efficiency and ride characteristics?

·
Registered
83 Posts
The part number for my Premiere rims is 42622153. My car was built on 2017-09-28, apparently cars built prior to 2017-09-15 use a different part number.
Actually, it was jurg's steel 15 inch rims I was hoping for the GM part number for. I am looking at same size 205/65/R15 as jurg is using.

Also wondering how they have fared this winter re: caliper clearance, and if the GM pressure sensors were installed and programmed with tool...

If I knew (or were allowed to?) how to PM jurg - I would...

·
Registered
979 Posts
I finally decided to read this thread. OMG. Isn't beauty in the eye of the beholder ?

I understand if one wants to go mud racing, or lead the snow plow down the street, or prefers one's Bolt to look like a roller skate.

I'm all for going 18"s.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I'm pushing towards buying 15" rims for my Bolt, but I am concerned about the weight rating of the steel rims 15x6-5x105 sonic rims not supporting the Bolt's extra weight compared to the Sonic and bending at the next Michigan pothole I miss avoiding.

I can't find any weight ratings on any rim sites, either. And by the time I put a wheelcover on it, I wonder if I would have just bought an aluminum rim, but even aluminum rims can be too thin for a given load.

Can anyone provide any feedback regarding my concerns? Am I being too cautious? I just don't want to be stuck with something that doesn't do the job.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I can't say I make it my business to drive into potholes or race over speed bumps, but I haven't had any signs of structural weakness on my 15" steelies. The added wall height provides noticeably extra cushion, so if anything I think that would be attenuating the stresses. Smaller diameters are also going to be less likely to deform to point loads than larger ones.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I pulled the trigger on the rims. 4 steelies for a sonic in 15x6 inch form on their way. I'm shopping for winter tires now.
TPMS sensors and the tool ordered.

I expect it to stop snowing for the season as soon as I have them installed.

·
Registered
60 Posts
TR no longer says 15" Compatible with Bolt?

Has anyone else ordered from Tire Rack recently? They do not currently have a 15" option for the Bolt. I can select a Sonic and upsize the tires to 205/65R15, but even the online Rep said basically buy at your own risk. What changed?

·
Registered
328 Posts
Sorry, my view is that they really do not begin to fill the space, and, therefore, completely change my perception of the vehicle. I know it is my problem.

But, won't all Bolt stats and mileage be OFF?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Sorry, my view is that they really do not begin to fill the space, and, therefore, completely change my perception of the vehicle. I know it is my problem.

But, won't all Bolt stats and mileage be OFF?
If this was in response to my post, the 205/65R15 tires are 0.11% larger in diameter than the stock 215/50R17 tire. For reference 5/32nds of tread depth wear represents 1.2% of the stock diameter, so no I don't think it will affect the stats. This 205/65R15 tire should be ~1/2" narrower than OEM, but that won't affect odometer/speedometer.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Has anyone else ordered from Tire Rack recently? They do not currently have a 15" option for the Bolt. I can select a Sonic and upsize the tires to 205/65R15, but even the online Rep said basically buy at your own risk. What changed?
I can't remember if it was on this forum or another, but someone reported that there were problems with some of the 15s as it seemed like they weren't the right fitment for the Bolt, even though they were described as such by the supplier.

I ordered mine from Costco.ca and they fit fine, so their supplier must not have had the same issue.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I can't remember if it was on this forum or another, but someone reported that there were problems with some of the 15s as it seemed like they weren't the right fitment for the Bolt, even though they were described as such by the supplier.
Maybe, I ordered a 15" Sonic wheel for my spare and it does fit fine but there is not a lot of extra clearance between the rim and the brake caliper.

I can see where manufacturing differences could mean one wheel would fit and an "equivalent" wheel from a different manufacturer might not.

I inspected the wheel I ordered to see if I could figure out who made it but I could not.

@ballpark

Edit: I should add when I ordered my spare back in February there were no 15" wheel options for the Bolt on Tire Rack so I had to order for a Sonic.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Maybe, I ordered a 15" Sonic wheel for my spare and it does fit fine but there is not a lot of extra clearance between the rim and the brake caliper.

I can see where manufacturing differences could mean one wheel would fit and an "equivalent" wheel from a different manufacturer might not.

I inspected the wheel I ordered to see if I could figure out who made it but I could not.

@ballpark

Edit: I should add when I ordered my spare back in February there were no 15" wheel options for the Bolt on Tire Rack so I had to order for a Sonic.

Thanks for checking on that (looking at the rim for MFR info) raitchison. I pointed out to the TR rep online that you, the lone reviewer of the Sonic wheel, were a Bolt owner. They stuck by the story that it does not fit, but that they would willingly take $800 from me to mount tires on rims that may or may not fit my car. My choice. I am looking into some local options for Cruze steelies on Craigslist that I can test fitment on without as big of a cash hedge.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Thanks for checking on that (looking at the rim for MFR info) raitchison. I pointed out to the TR rep online that you, the lone reviewer of the Sonic wheel, were a Bolt owner. They stuck by the story that it does not fit, but that they would willingly take $800 from me to mount tires on rims that may or may not fit my car. My choice. I am looking into some local options for Cruze steelies on Craigslist that I can test fitment on without as big of a cash hedge.
One thing you could do if that doesn't work out is buy one, either with a winter tire mounted or with a regular tire for use as a spare. You can test fit it and if it fits you can order the other 3. You're still risking ~$150 (what I paid) and you'll end up spending a bit more in the long run (I'm sure the cost to ship 4 tires is less than the cost to ship 1 tire and 3 tires separately) but at least you are managing your risk.

If one could figure out the manufacturer and model number for the wheel that fits it's probably possible to get a local tire store to order it for you, depending on the tire store it might or might not be cheaper than Tire Rack but at least you'd be ordering something that you knew would fit.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I am looking into some local options for Cruze steelies on Craigslist that I can test fitment on without as big of a cash hedge.
FWIW, 16" Cruze steel wheels fit the Bolt. I got a set of four nearly new off craigslist for $100. Those are what we're using for winter tires.

Go with Nokian Hakkapilitta or Gislaved for the good stuff in bad weather.

jack vines

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
I drove 205/65R15 X Ice 3s all last winter without issue. Just threw them on again for the upcoming winter. They're mounted on steelies, don't rub the breaks.

21 - 40 of 58 Posts