Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Thanks for all of the input. Just to update, I ended up with some 2017 Chevy Cruze take-off steel 15" rims from Craigslist. No brake caliper clearance issues. Happy with the 15" tires with added sidewall makes for a more comfortable ride (albeit louder with snow tires).

·
Registered
39 Posts
I just bought this setup for a spare. Will check fitment once it arrives.

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AZ7VKUW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MZB4VOI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]

·
Registered
1 Posts
With the info from this forum I bought some 15" steelies , OEM sensors, and the relearn tool online. Then found a good deal for the Michelin Ice Xi3s (205/65R15) through costco. They wouldn't mount them on the car (different size than stock) but I took them home and did it myself. Overall it was cheaper to get the second set of wheels than to buy snow tires for the stock wheels after 1 season of remounting costs. So far the ride is nice around the city streets with the taller sidewalls.

I even got the moon hubcaps. I can't tell a difference in range since I switched winter tires and added the hubcaps at the same time. So far my efficiency numbers are about the same as with the stock setup.

Attachments

·
Registered
60 Posts
With the info from this forum I bought some 15" steelies , OEM sensors, and the relearn tool online. Then found a good deal for the Michelin Ice Xi3s (205/65R15) through costco. They wouldn't mount them on the car (different size than stock) but I took them home and did it myself. Overall it was cheaper to get the second set of wheels than to buy snow tires for the stock wheels after 1 season of remounting costs. So far the ride is nice around the city streets with the taller sidewalls.

I even got the moon hubcaps. I can't tell a difference in range since I switched winter tires and added the hubcaps at the same time. So far my efficiency numbers are about the same as with the stock setup.

I got the same tires at Costco. For anyone considering them, you can get this exact size mounted and balanced for <$400 out the door (not including the steelies and TPMS). They are offering $70 off a set of 4 Michelin's and at the time $.01 mount/balance which works out to be $130 off total (instantly, no mail-in). Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with Costco. Just a seconding a great deal.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Got my rim and tire today... $20 mount and balance at Discount Tire. Total cost was $124. After destroying my tire 2 weeks after buying the car and needing a tow, I'm happy to have a spare now. I most likely will still swap wheels if I have a front flat and put the spare on the rear.

I will probably pull the bottom carpet out and either buy the false floor to cover the tire or build one. Of course I will flip the spare for more storage. Planning on carrying all the tools I need with me (jack, impact driver, etc) as I drive 50-80 miles per day with my job.

Click for large view - Uploaded with Skitch

·
Registered
284 Posts
I’ve had the 15” rims and snow tire combo since November 2018 and snow handling is awesome. I’ve only negotiated slushy and snowy roads 5 times total in a year, but it’s a big improvement.

The car shimmies on the freeway, though. It’s those tall sidewalls wiggling. Not recommended for freeeay trips!

·
Registered
60 Posts
I’ve had the 15” rims and snow tire combo since November 2018 and snow handling is awesome. I’ve only negotiated slushy and snowy roads 5 times total in a year, but it’s a big improvement.

The car shimmies on the freeway, though. It’s those tall sidewalls wiggling. Not recommended for freeeay trips!
I've been running this combo as snow tires as well (205/65R15). The difference in handling on snow/ice is quite dramatic vs the stock wheel/tire setup. I really like how sure footed it is especially driving in L, I have not once had it skid/activate ABS while stopping. Regen braking is so easy to modulate even more so than downshifting a manual car.

I've driven on these tall sidewalls on the interstate at freeway speeds (up to 80mph), but have not noticed any shimmy. The snow tires do seem to tramline the grooved pavement, but I also notice this with the same brand of snow tires on my Expedition. I'm running Michelin Xice Xi3's which have a Green X/LRR designation so perhaps the sidewalls are stiffer. What snow tire are you running?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello all
I have X-Ice Xi3 195/65/15's on Steelies from DiscountTire that I had on a Jetta wagon.

Would they work on a 2017 Bolt?

(it sounds like yes - depending upon the exact steel rims - do I have that right?)

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
@RichW_SC, did you find the 15" wheels improve the ride of your Bolt much? Like over minor bumps, did the extra sidewall dampen the bump much?

@hatchy, would this lack of shimy also mean there's not much cushioning from this sidewall versus a 17" wheel (overall tire diameter being the same)? I was afraid that people with downsized wheels are misattributing the extra ride comfort to the downsizing when really it's the new tires that are contributing the most to ride comfort.

·
Registered
769 Posts
No. Cushioning and shimmying have no direct relation to each other.

Watch some FWD drag vids on youtube. Talk about compliance.. those guys run extremely tall sidewall tires with like 8psi in them. And they trap at 150+ mph. Shimmying? I don't understand this idea that tall sidewalls or sidewall compliance are the cause of shimmying. Why would anybody think that would be the case. Tiny sidewalls are a marketing driven thing. A guy who wants 24's with 30 series tires is a tire seller's dream customer. And he will be a repeat customer, dropping cash time after time when he meets pot holes.

Or go watch a forumula1 race.. then tell me big sidewalls shouldn't do over 80mph. Or watch some high speed mile or 1/2 mile racing if you want to see production cars going fast on tall sidewalls.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Has anybody tried this particular 15" Chevy Sonic rim, and can confirm it clears the Bolt's larger brake calipers?

Cheers,
Tal

41 - 58 of 58 Posts