Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Because of reasons I won't go into, I have an award certificate in the amount of $1500 to spend on GM accessories for my Bolt. The question is, what to spend it on?

I've already decided on getting the 32A EVSE they offer for $699. Even though I have a 30A unit which works just fine, it only has a 15-foot cord on it. The extra length would make the EVSE more versatile and it could service more than one parking spot in the driveway.

The other thought I had was to get the tire inflation kit, a set of all weather mats, and maybe the accessory hitch and the bike carrier.

I don't think I can apply the money towards my OnStar subscription.

If I don't spend the full $1500 in one shot, I don't get a credit or a refund on the unused portion.

·
Registered
979 Posts
I'd go also for the cargo net and the door sill plates. ( I ordered the sill plates as an LPO, still don't have them).

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Looks like you're already getting most of what I'd suggest, there's always the cargo mat or security shade and maybe wheel locks.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
The tire inflator kit does sound like a good idea, but how much does it cost and could you potentially get one from Walmart for a cheaper price? If you could, then maybe sub in another accessory for that. If you actively use a bike and need to carry it, the carrier and hitch does sound like a good idea.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
I would buy a spare set of tires. You for sure can use those in the future.
^ Now that's a great idea!

Or at least get an extra OEM tire & rim to have on hand.....

I have the GM All Weather mats... they're really nice quality... but they don't have raised edges like the WeatherTech mats, so sand and stones still get on to the carpet. Supposedly WT is going to release their mats for the Bolt during the summer. I'd consider getting the WT mats for the front and passenger areas and get the GM All Weather mat for the cargo area.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Bike rack, either hitch mounted or roof rack (if Premier). Let us know which one, how well it works, and if, in retrospect, you would go with the same or the other. I am in the same boat, ride 2 times a week. I have a tarp for the back to put the (front wheel off) bike in the back with the seats down and the cargo floor raised. Hate the thought of chain oil, bike dirt, and black tire rubber marks in the car!

·
Registered
624 Posts
I would buy a spare set of tires. You for sure can use those in the future.
don't tires sort of expire after a while, regardless of mileage? not sure how long the bolt's tires will last, but putting on tires that are already 3 years old might not be the best thing.

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looks like you're already getting most of what I'd suggest, there's always the cargo mat or security shade and maybe wheel locks.
My Bolt already came with a cargo cover. I don't understand why I'd need a second one.

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I believe that I can only purchase GM accessories that are listed on the website for the Bolt. So no tires, no WeatherTech floor mats, and no roof rack rails.

·
Super Moderator
2,067 Posts
Because of reasons I won't go into, I have an award certificate in the amount of $1500 to spend on GM accessories for my Bolt. The question is, what to spend it on?

I've already decided on getting the 32A EVSE they offer for $699. Even though I have a 30A unit which works just fine, it only has a 15-foot cord on it. The extra length would make the EVSE more versatile and it could service more than one parking spot in the driveway.

The other thought I had was to get the tire inflation kit, a set of all weather mats, and maybe the accessory hitch and the bike carrier.

I don't think I can apply the money towards my OnStar subscription.

If I don't spend the full $1500 in one shot, I don't get a credit or a refund on the unused portion.
Can you at least give a hint as to why you got the $1,500? Was it to help remedy an unsatisfactory situation? Or did you just win the GM money lotto out of the blue? :p

I have to say the Curt hitch (which is the brand the official GM hitch is) has mixed reviews. I have it personally (sitting in my basement, unused), and it seems to hang 2 inches lower than it needs to be. Plus it is only rated for 100# tongue weight, compared to my Draw-tite hitch, which is rated for 200. A member on here posted how the Curt hitch actually bent when he used it to carry his bike one time. I'd recommend the Drawtite hitch, even if you can't buy it with the GM money.

So with the EVSE, OEM bike rack, tire inflator, and mats, you're at $924.
I say toss in a wheel lock kit ($40), cargo net ($55), sun shade ($100), black bowties ($115), sill plates ($75), and decal ($140).
That totals $1,334. A trunk liner costs $170, which puts you $4 over. Do I win? :D

·
Registered
544 Posts
don't tires sort of expire after a while, regardless of mileage? not sure how long the bolt's tires will last, but putting on tires that are already 3 years old might not be the best thing.
If your store them correctly they will last a long time. Wrap in a plastic bag (like a big black heavy duty trash bag), store in a dark/low light location, no weight on them, store in a moderate temperature.

The things that will cause a tire degrade are high/low temps, sun exposure, sitting on bare concrete/asphalt, basically exposure to the elements or weight on them to cause deformation.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I have to say the Curt hitch (which is the brand the official GM hitch is) has mixed reviews. I have it personally (sitting in my basement, unused), and it seems to hang 2 inches lower than it needs to be. Plus it is only rated for 100# tongue weight, compared to my Draw-tite hitch, which is rated for 200. A member on here posted how the Curt hitch actually bent when he used it to carry his bike one time. I'd recommend the Drawtite hitch, even if you can't buy it with the GM money.

I have the Curt hitch and haven't any problems with it yet. I carry two large MTBs and even two Fat Bikes (total weight on those two would be around 90 lbs) on it quite often. I would guess if someone bent it it was not braced properly, they overloaded it or a possible manufacturing defect. 1.25" hitches really need to be braced with a support strap though, even if they are rated for higher weight that you will be carrying. Actually the Curt hitch calls out that it is required to have the support strap. Since the Bolt is a hatch back with a spoiler there really isn't a good spot to attach the support strap. I mean you could run it over the spoiler but I assume like me no one else would want to put that weight across the spoiler. So the way I got around that is I got one of the seasucker vacuum mounts. I attach that to the rear window and run the support strap up to that and the rack and its weight is spread across two points and the bike rack doesn't bounce up and down or move side to side much.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MTCJNDC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003721CC8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
When I mentioned the WeatherTech floor mats it was to suggest you use the GM credit towards other accessories not for the GM all weather floor mats because the WeatherTech floor mats are superior. Of course you'll have to spend your own $$ for the WeatherTech floor mats, but they will actually protect the carpet where the GM mats don't.

·
Banned
350 Posts
The newly-available cargo cover is a hard molded plastic piece, which blocks a bit of sound from the rear wheels, and looks much more finished than the original cloth modesty cover. It's the same piece that they get on the Opel Ampera.

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
I'd go also for the cargo net and the door sill plates. ( I ordered the sill plates as an LPO, still don't have them).
When you get them, let us know how you like the sill plates. I was seriously going to order those but put it off. I had to draw the line somewhere! :laugh:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts