Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2023 EUV Premier Bright Blue
2,218 Posts
Got these rims on eBay and installed today with Blizzaks size 215/55R16. I think they look good. I bought TPMS sensors from Rockauto that were listed as the correct GM OEM sensors for Bolt EUV. I dropped off my car, the rims and sensors at Costco to get installed. When I picked up my car they said the TPMS sensors were wrong for these wheels. They didn’t ask and just went ahead and installed regular valve stems. Now I need to figure out what sensors I do need and will have to pay to get the tires removed and reinstalled on the rims.:mad:
View attachment 49811
They do look good!

I had to get new sensors for the snow tire wheels I had on my 2021 Bolt, so I could use them on my 2023. Starting with the 2022's, GM switched from 315 MHz sensors to 433 MHz sensors. Apparently, Canadian Bolts switched to 433 MHz a few years earlier.

I see RockAuto lists two sensors. The 315 MHz is incorrect. You definitely want the GM one that's 433 MHz. It shows up right in the production broadcast for our EUV. XL8 is the production code. Also, I learned the hard way after putting the wheels on the car. The 315 MHz sensors wouldn't relearn, and I had to have them replaced with the correct 433 MHz sensors.

It's too bad Costco didn't contact you and offer to install the correct sensors, but maybe they don't have them. Discount Tire (America's Tire) should have them, as well as the valve kit.
Product Font Screenshot Parallel Terrestrial plant

Reactions: detsiwt

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
The tires don't have to be removed from the wheels to add the TPMS. Just break the bead above the valve stem.

jack vines
I had the Chevy dealer do it, since the car was in for a warranty repair anyway. The 12 volt battery on our two month old EUV crapped out and bricked the car.

You are right. That's probably all they did. I checked and the wheel weights had not been touched.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Yikes! The wheels weren't re-balanced after the old "regular" stems were replaced with TPMS ones?

That's a significant localized mass gain. I'd be very surprised if the result wasn't a noticeable imbalance at particular (resonant) vehicle speeds.
The wheels had TPMS stems all along, and pretty new ones too, just one year old. Just the sensors were replaced, AFAIK. I had the 315 MHz ones on the wheels that worked for our 2021 Bolt. They just snap on to the stems inside the wheel. I didn't realize until they wouldn't relearn that new Bolts use a different frequency, as of 2022.

I'm assuming the 315 MHz and 433 MHz sensors weigh the same. At any rate the car still runs as smoothly as before, at all speeds.

For all I know, the dealer put the wheels on the balancer to check and found they were still in balance. I didn't bother to ask, as I was out of town at the time, and my wife handled the whole thing. That included arranging for our car to get towed to the dealer after it was bricked by what turned out to be a bad 12 volt battery. It happened two hours after my wife drove me to the airport. On a Bolt that was built on August 5th of this year. GM payed for the tow.

I figured as long as it's at the dealership, have them put the correct sensors in. By the time I got back from my 6 day trip, the EUV was back home, good as new.

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Car Vehicle

• Wow
Reactions: XJ12
1 - 3 of 3 Posts