Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My brand new Chevy Bolt Premier bought on 10/19/2017 would not allow me to shift to D or R and displayed "Conditions not right" error message. I could shift to N or P. This was just 2 days after I had bought it. The total miles driven was 110.

It had all the packages - fully loaded :)

I had to get it towed to the delearship and the technician suspects that the power inverter has to be replaced. I am waiting for a couple of days. The estimate for the fix ranges from 3-4 days to 10 days.

I got a loaner car - Trax :( and eagerly waiting to drive my new car.

Not a happy customer so far. Beta troubles, I guess. Being a guinea pig is fun!

Other problems seen:

1. Cruise control wouldn't engage
2. Sport mode was not working

·
Registered
770 Posts
I hope it's something simple and you get back to enjoying the Bolt. However...You may want to read this post. I believe this was posted by a member of this forum, but more detail on the FB post. Interestingly, no updates for that issue in 20 days. Perhaps it was resolved successfully and the solution has been updated in the service tech database. Perhaps not.

You may want to get out in front of this with the Chevrolet service manager and keep the GM Service adviser and GM customer satisfaction rep on a very tight leash. Consider Escalating every day and keep phone logs, insist on written updates or inform them that you are recording the call. They should give you a rental, but try and make them pay for any gasoline you use. Perhaps it's possible in your state to return the Bolt considering the timeframe.

This may sound like a recipe for being an ultimate jerk, but hope for the best, plan for the worst.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, for the reply! This was bought in California. I hope it does not take as long as the other issue but I have made up my mind that this will take at least couple of weeks. It sucks to keep paying for the lease while I do not get to drive the car!

Are there any phone numbers on which I can reach the GM service adviser and GM customer satisfaction rep. The service manager has agreed to cover the gasoline receipts for the loaner car.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Call and email GM: http://www.gm.com/lemon-law.html

Get as many contacts as you can. Add the FB link to the email asking was the other GM "valued" customer's issue resolved.
In California, you would have had to purchase a 2-day return option...which nobody does for a new car.
review this: http://www.dca.ca.gov/publications/car_buyer_rights.shtml , and note the consumer contacts at the bottom of the page.

Please update us here periodically. Good luck!

·
Registered
624 Posts
In California, you would have had to purchase a 2-day return option...which nobody does for a new car.
i think it doesn't apply to new cars, only used cars:

Important: The contract cancellation option does not apply to used cars priced at $40,000 or more, new cars, private party sales, motorcycles, off-road vehicles, recreational vehicles, or vehicles sold for business or commercial use.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, the dealer had confirmed that the 48 hour cancellation policy is only for used cars.

I am emailing GM and will call them soon. So far, no update from the dealership.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I had the same issue yesterday when the car would not go into gear. Always reverted back to park when trying to shift to R or D & L. Lucky i was parked in a lot and was able to fiddle with it turning on and off . It did eventually go into gear but the service light and transmission warning was still active on the dash. It is now being looked at at the dealer and was told they can't replicate the condition. They set me up with a car while they diagnose the problem. I really don't want the car back unless the issue is resolve without question. My Bolt is less than a month old and has 1680 KM. Love the way it handles and drives so I'm hoping for the best.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Too bad to see similar issues! Any update from your dealership?

I heard from the technician that the error can be caused by a whole host of reasons and in my case, it was due a faulty power inverter. The power inverter has been replaced now and I got the car back yesterday. I drove it back from dealership yesterday after a full charge and it seems ok so far. I am keeping my fingers crossed. Sport mode problem too seems to have been resolved. I will have to check the cruise control and other stuff today.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Good to hear that you got the car back, hope the problem was indeed resolved and doesn't come back.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Too bad to see similar issues! Any update from your dealership?

I heard from the technician that the error can be caused by a whole host of reasons and in my case, it was due a faulty power inverter. The power inverter has been replaced now and I got the car back yesterday. I drove it back from dealership yesterday after a full charge and it seems ok so far. I am keeping my fingers crossed. Sport mode problem too seems to have been resolved. I will have to check the cruise control and other stuff today.
Thank you for reporting back what the dealer did to fix the issue. I too had a similar problem but it went away after turning the car on/off. I'll mention your fix if my tech doesn't find anything.

·
Registered
17 Posts
We are getting this error on our Bolt with ~1k miles on it. The issue seems intermittent and of course the dealer can not reproduce. Has anyone figured out exactly what is wrong?

·
Registered
782 Posts
it's interesting to see the evolution from analog to Digital in the car world - we're moving in a direction where the car either works or it doesn't work - and the errors these days are just symptoms of one faulty component - but the symptoms can range across the board...

very similar to digital things every where else - they either work flawlessly - or don't work at all - and there is little grey area…

·
Registered
645 Posts
I had one of these too, on my 8-month -old car, a couple of days ago. The car was sitting the garage, and acting oddly - it wouldn't pre-heat, just flashed the lights once and nothing happened. Most things were working, but the heated seat lights would not go on.

Fiddling with, it, lock/unlock, plugging in my L2 and removing it, or just the passage of time made the issue go away after 10 minutes or so, and it hasn't happened in two days since. OnStar was useless, of course.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Just got my Bolt back from the dealer after one week . I was experiencing shift problems. Car had 8 error codes stored in memory 5 would not reset after service. Dealer contacted GM and was told there was an update for the TRCM Module but the module did not respond even after GM tried connecting to it remotely to update.

I don't know what a TRCM is but apparently Dealer replaced the TRCM and reprogrammed. Everything has been working fine since i got the vehicle back. Will update if any further issues arise.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
My tech determined the issue was with the entire shift module not reporting correctly. An entire new assembly is on order and I'll have to take my Bolt back to have it replaced. Forgot to ask to see the codes, unfortunately.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Our problem, of course, went away as soon as it was towed back to the dealer. The dealer could see the error codes but since the car was working fine for them they couldn't find an issue. I drove the car around the block to see if the issues would come back and I got the conditions not met error again with the propulsion light on. It wouldn't let me shift to drive or L. I turned the car off then on a few times and it went away. Dealer couldn't repeat but saw the error. u0100 and u1818 were the error codes. We took the card back after 4 days and haven't had an issues since but the dealer didn't replace anything.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Once in 28k km

Restarted and no problems since. Two instances of "initializing shift" but restart ok. So only three issues in 28k km. But sounds awful for you. My tech had no clue when I described it to him but as I said no problems since.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
I have seen that message when I shift too quickly and don’t have the button pushed in exactly when I move the lever. However, it has never gotten stuck in this status. I simply carefully, and fully, press the side button and shift again. It has always worked (and reminded me not to try to do things too fast)!

·
Registered
4,820 Posts
I have seen that message when I shift too quickly and don’t have the button pushed in exactly when I move the lever.
I've seen a number of posts about problems that seem to be caused by shifting before the car's systems are fully ready, and at least once I've seen a message on the driver information center that said "wait to shift". As a result I've been careful to get into the habit of not shifting until the car was ready. So far (two whole weeks!) I haven't seen any problems.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
My tech determined the issue was with the entire shift module not reporting correctly. An entire new assembly is on order and I'll have to take my Bolt back to have it replaced. Forgot to ask to see the codes, unfortunately.
So something got loss in communication because I finally brought my Bolt in today and it turns out the replacement of the shifter assembly was as a precaution due to the intermittent nature of the error. Now that I have the full report of the repair work:

TEST DROVE. COULD NOT DUPLICATE CONCERN. PERFORMED DIAGNOSTIC SYSTEM CHECK-VEHICLE. DTC CHASSIS MODULE U156D/00 HISTORY. TSB 16NA183. PERFORMED STEPS 1-7. SHIFT HANDLE WAS ILLUMINATED AND CONNECTOR WAS FULLY SEATED AND CPA LOCKED. DUE TO INTERMITTENT CONCERN, ORDERED SHIFTER ASSY
I'm starting to think it's exactly as surgeonFWW and Sean Nelson stated: I shifted too early before the Bolt EV's systems came on fully.

Reactions: surgeonFWW
1 - 20 of 32 Posts