Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
I'm glad you got your car back. Makes me feel mildly better that one of my tires blew at 25 miles (and will take a week to ship one in and replace).
Very much looking forward to driving my new cool Bolt next week. One side benefit, it gives me time to get 240V plugs in the garage this week so I don't have to worry about range anxiety with 110V power only.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
How long did you wait for parts?
A little over a week. 2 days later I brought in my Bolt for the shifter swap out. Swap took 2 hrs I think.

·
Registered
8 Posts
"Conditions not correct to shift"

Just got the conditions not correct to shift message on my console. What I noticed is that when I powered up, the power steering was not functioning, that seemed to be the initial sign that something was wrong, plus the error message. I booted the car several times and it went away, seems fine now. My wife tells me it happened to her two weeks ago...so it's a software glitch that seems pretty common to the Bolt.

·
Registered
5,509 Posts
Several people seem to have discovered that trying to shift too quickly after hitting the start button can lead to that message. So I've gotten into a habit of turning the car on, fastening my seat belt, and then releasing the parking brake and shifting. I've never had a problem doing it that way.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Just got the conditions not correct to shift message on my console. What I noticed is that when I powered up, the power steering was not functioning, that seemed to be the initial sign that something was wrong, plus the error message. I booted the car several times and it went away, seems fine now. My wife tells me it happened to her two weeks ago...so it's a software glitch that seems pretty common to the Bolt.
To help others understand the problem and if it might affect them, please supply what is your Bolt's manufacturing date and if there are any software updates that have not been completed.

·
Registered
21 Posts
This happened to us this past weekend in the Rose Bowl Parking lot. It took a couple of restarts to get it to shift again. I'm pretty sure I tried to shift into gear too quickly or without the right buttons or both. We've owned the car almost two years and at 14,000 miles never saw this problem. I don't typically drive the car so I could see where I could have been the culprit. Still an odd and disconcerting bug.

·
Registered
690 Posts
As Sean Nelson suggested, I give the car a few seconds, after hitting the start button, before I do anything "dramatic." Maybe ten seconds, tops. We're all driving a computer on wheels, is what this comes down to!

Rich

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
Yup. When you hit the power switch on your PC, do you immediately start clicking on the blank screen, expecting to access GMail? The Bolt probably has a dozen processors that need to boot up and agree with each other that everything's OK. Visualize every movie you've ever seen that shows the Mission Control Flight Director just prior to the countdown to launch..."CapCom?"..."GO!"...etc.

I learned very quickly 22 years ago, to wedge myself into the EV-1, hit START, then go about the business of putting on the seat belt, adjusting the mirrors, and everything else you normally do before putting it in gear and driving off. All it took was a change in the order I did things to alleviate the "problem".

·
Registered
2 Posts
Did it to me this morning. Ran several, short errands with no indication of problems. Leaving the grocery, I turned the Bolt on, tried to shift into D and got the "Conditions not correct for shift" message. Tried shifting between other shift position and back. No luck. Turned the car off and back on several times. No luck. The last thing I did before trying to start the car was put bags of groceries on the floor behind the driver's seat. I I thought maybe some sensor was stuck so I got out, opened the rear door, closed it, got back in and tried again. Worked just fine like nothing had ever been wrong. The Bolt usually does a very good job of telling me exactly why it won't allow me to do something so it's a real disappointment to get left hanging like this.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Did it to me this morning. Ran several, short errands with no indication of problems. Leaving the grocery, I turned the Bolt on, tried to shift into D and got the "Conditions not correct for shift" message. Tried shifting between other shift position and back. No luck. Turned the car off and back on several times. No luck. The last thing I did before trying to start the car was put bags of groceries on the floor behind the driver's seat. I I thought maybe some sensor was stuck so I got out, opened the rear door, closed it, got back in and tried again. Worked just fine like nothing had ever been wrong. The Bolt usually does a very good job of telling me exactly why it won't allow me to do something so it's a real disappointment to get left hanging like this.
This happened to me twice as well in early ownership and the "fix" was exactly as you described. I physically left the car, walked away from the car with the key, and when I came back it was fine. I think sometimes it just takes a reset to fix this problem. Fortunately it hasn't happened for over a year. This is what happens when you drive a computer!

·
Registered
8 Posts
This “Conditions Not Correct to Shift” has now happened to me twice, two years apart on two different Bolts, a 2017 & a 2020. While attempting to turn the car off, another message appears “Initializing Waiting to Shift”. After about 30 sec, the car / dash remains on. I tried the walk away method, for about 1/2 hour. Upon returning, the dash was still lit up, and the doors had not locked. So, the car could not be turned off and could not be put in gear. When I talked to the Bolt Advisor, he acted like this was not a documented problem. While talking to the advisor, it occurred to me that this was likely a software problem. I asked Roadside Assistance if the tow driver could disconnect / reconnect the 12V battery, but apparently not. I called a friend to come pick up my passengers and bring a small crescent wrench. After the disconnect / reconnect of the 12V battery, the car was back to normal, operational. Did the same thing to my WiFi Router last weekend. Is there a way to restart the Bolt computers, other than a 12V disconnect? If not, why not?

21 - 33 of 33 Posts