Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased a Mosaic Black with light ash interior Bolt 2 weeks ago and wanted to share my experiences so far. It also has the DC fast charge option, Infotainment and Drivers Confidence II packages.

I had a 2013 Volt and "transferred" my Onstar app subscription (basic remote access for $50 for 6 months) to the Bolt. Updated the MyChevy app with the new VIN and saw I had a recall.

Took it in to Reliable Chevy in Richardson, TX, and they performed the recall - had to do with battery and propulsion. I saw no difference before or after the recall was applied.

Only charger I have is a slow charger, 120v at the house. And I take advantage of the free J-1722's at the stores nearby.

Today, however, I finally got smart and searched for DC fast charges and found that a couple of Harley Davidson shops have charge point DC fast chargers for free! So, I stopped by one today, hooked it up, and sure enough it gave me about 22 miles in about 20 min. I'll be visiting Harley Davidson shops more often. :)

(to be continued)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Other observations:
  • People complain about the seats. I notice they are narrow when I get in the car. But I don’t have any issues with them from a driving perspective. I’ve driven over an hour at a time but no long trips.
  • I like the dash and center screen. Gives it a very modern look. I do wish there were more layout options. The current layout options seem very similar to each other.
  • I like the blue "ambient" light strip
  • Apple CarPlay was hit or miss at the beginning. It would connect but the music would play with static after a few moments. The more I used it though the better it got. I wonder if they updated the software when I had the recall done. The software version still has the same value but it now works much better.
    • There are rare occasions, maybe twice, when out of the blue, while playing Apple Music, it will revert back to the FM radio. I switch back to Apple Music, and it's fine. Weird.
  • Intellibeam works well although I wish the car had LED headlights. I’d also like to have fog lights.
  • Suspension is on the sporty/firm side which I like but I do wish it had a little more compliance.
  • Wish it had a sunroof. If anyone has ideas or has seen this done - please let me know.
  • I like the all around camera. I wish I could enable it whenever I wanted. For now, I know to put in reverse and drive slow (if going forward) to keep it on.
  • It is roomy, fun to drive and electric. Very happy so far.
Mods?
  • Need to get the windows tinted.
  • Need to upgrade the wireless charger as my iPhone X doesn’t charge - I get a warning light on the center post indicating there's an issue. I saw a post about this where 2017s and some 2018s had an older version of the wireless charger.
  • Saw a other post about attacking a garage door opener under the center dash with Velcro and away from prying eyes. I've done this and it's brilliant.
  • May consider noice reducing options (dynamat and thick floor mats).
  • Sunroof - maybe . . .
Thanks.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I broke this up into three posts cuz my original post was not approved (or still waiting on approval to be shown publicly). Here's a pic:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
One last note (for tonight) - my daughter was driving it this evening and called me - she was concerned that something was wrong because it was raining and the car wasn't acting right - she said she was struggling with traction. I remembered that I promoted L mode to her and asked her to put it in D - lesson learned - don't use L in inclement weather. :).

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've seen aftermarket "sunroofs". But I think they just popped at an angle from behind.
They don't slide to the back like factory options.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
One last note (for tonight) - my daughter was driving it this evening and called me - she was concerned that something was wrong because it was raining and the car wasn't acting right - she said she was struggling with traction. I remembered that I promoted L mode to her and asked her to put it in D - lesson learned - don't use L in inclement weather. :).
It's also possible that she was simply enjoying the instant torque the Bolt has. Those tires definitely slip and slide in the rain when the accelerator is floored, won't matter if it's in L or D.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Thanks for sharing your impressions and I concur with most of them.

We all have personal physiology, experiences and opinions:

1. I appreciate the extra headroom and wouldn't take a sunroof as a gift.

2. Next time your daughter is driving in inclement weather, have her try L again and evaluate the "struggling with traction." I've never had a problem in the wet, only on icy roads.

3. I've owned dozens of cars and trucks over the past sixty years and never paid for aftermarket window tinting. When I was younger, it wasn't A Thing. Then, I moved to the frozen ass-end of nowhere and the summers are so short it, it isn't A Thing.

4. The horizontal seating width is a bit skimpy I'm only average fatass and find buckling the Bolt seatbelt more difficult than in most other compacts. I'd narrow the console a couple of inches. Those I see waddling across parking lots who are half-again wider than I; to them I wouldn't recommend a Bolt.

jack vines

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
I like the all around camera. I wish I could enable it whenever I wanted.
When pulling into the garage, I manually enable the camera from the infotainment screen. Hit the icon view icon (circle with four circles inside). May have to hit home first. One of the icons is camera.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When pulling into the garage, I manually enable the camera from the infotainment screen. Hit the icon view icon (circle with four circles inside). May have to hit home first. One of the icons is camera.
Thanks for the tip - I'll try that - I bet you have to be going below a certain speed.

·
Registered
2017 Bolt Premier
322 Posts
Thanks for the tip - I'll try that - I bet you have to be going below a certain speed.
Yeah, I think it's like 5 MPH or so. Especially handy for pulling into a garage or parking between two cars that have no idea what the lines of a parking space indicate.

·
Registered
2017 Chevrolet Bolt LT
20 Posts
Other observations:
  • People complain about the seats. I notice they are narrow when I get in the car. But I don’t have any issues with them from a driving perspective. I’ve driven over an hour at a time but no long trips.
  • I like the dash and center screen. Gives it a very modern look. I do wish there were more layout options. The current layout options seem very similar to each other.
  • I like the blue "ambient" light strip
  • Apple CarPlay was hit or miss at the beginning. It would connect but the music would play with static after a few moments. The more I used it though the better it got. I wonder if they updated the software when I had the recall done. The software version still has the same value but it now works much better.
    • There are rare occasions, maybe twice, when out of the blue, while playing Apple Music, it will revert back to the FM radio. I switch back to Apple Music, and it's fine. Weird.
  • Intellibeam works well although I wish the car had LED headlights. I’d also like to have fog lights.
  • Suspension is on the sporty/firm side which I like but I do wish it had a little more compliance.
  • Wish it had a sunroof. If anyone has ideas or has seen this done - please let me know.
  • I like the all around camera. I wish I could enable it whenever I wanted. For now, I know to put in reverse and drive slow (if going forward) to keep it on.
  • It is roomy, fun to drive and electric. Very happy so far.
Mods?
  • Need to get the windows tinted.
  • Need to upgrade the wireless charger as my iPhone X doesn’t charge - I get a warning light on the center post indicating there's an issue. I saw a post about this where 2017s and some 2018s had an older version of the wireless charger.
  • Saw a other post about attacking a garage door opener under the center dash with Velcro and away from prying eyes. I've done this and it's brilliant.
  • May consider noice reducing options (dynamat and thick floor mats).
  • Sunroof - maybe . . .
Thanks.
It does have LED headlights...

·
Registered
2020 Bolt Ev Premier
68 Posts
Are you in Colorado Springs, by chance? I thought I saw same Bolt with same interior at the Harley shop the other day.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts