Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I posted my first video of our road trip.
It's kind of targeted at people who don't know anything about EVs, so it will likely be a little too introductory for the majority of people on this forum. Hope you'll still check it out and enjoy.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Let us know when you get it up and also post a text summary here for us to review. Lots of critics of EV and the Bolt in particular argue that it's not suited for such a long trip. We'd like your impression. That's a long way in a Bolt seat. ;)

Paul
You can see my trip reports at EV Trip Reports

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I haven't cut together the rest of it yet, so it may be a while. I'll continue working on it as time permits. Thanks for the kind words.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Very nice and a great educational reference. Thanks for capturing it and posting. I am sure you can now retire on the Dunkin' sponsorship royalties, but please don't do so before posting the rest of the trip ;-)

·
Registered
56 Posts
As I commented, great work. Really enjoyed the blend of humor, family, and EV information. (And as a fellow Dad in Dunkin' territory, I sympathize entirely!)

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
BTW, the graph you show here is a reasonably good copy of the 100A line from this one by @Zoomit:

but when you stopped at a 125A charger, you didn't come back to the graph to show the Bolt's 55% taper point which shows up when you're charging above 100A.

You did stress this a bit, but I think it would be good to emphasize even more how some of the things you did out of nervousness were unnecessary. Given your conservative approach to charging, there was no need to torture the car's occupants by having the car swelter without A/C.

Likewise, arriving at charging stops with more than 50% battery and charging to 90% isn't a good way to go. Yes, you did say it, but you could have shown what you could have done in hindsight (e.g., completely skipping that first charging stop).

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You are 100% on point, @Vertiformed.
I definitely considered all of the above things you're talking about, but I was trying to strike a balance between too much and too little information. I am trying to imagine some one coming into it from zero experience with EVs. I'm trying not to overwhelm with nitty gritty details, trying to keep it moving and entertaining, trying not to undersell the ev experience by being overly worried about things that really aren't a worry, but also not trying to pitch myself as a completely informed and aware EV driver. Because I wasn't. And we did some stupid stuff. And we had some silly worries about range. I think we learned from the experience. You'll see this slowly come out I think over the course of the trip, I think, which is what you're getting at. Your points are well taken and I really appreciate the constructive feedback.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Great video - great content - good balance of tech and just real life.
Thank you for sharing it and look forward to part 2.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I must say, that plug you encountered at the Canada camp ground makes me want to go check my adapter plugs to ensure my OpenEVSE Level 1/2 charger has that. If not I think I will be making one. lol. That would be a nasty surprise.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I must say, that plug you encountered at the Canada camp ground makes me want to go check my adapter plugs to ensure my OpenEVSE Level 1/2 charger has that. If not I think I will be making one. lol. That would be a nasty surprise.
It wouldn't be my last mistake regarding that adapter. I will just say, make sure that if you buy an adapter that you buy one specifically for EVs. This site has them, but I have no experience with them: https://www.evseadapters.com/collections/new-tesla-model-3-gen-2-charging-adapters/products/tt-30p-to-nema-14-50r-ev-adapter

That link goes to what I would've needed. You may need something different to suit your needs. But if you're going Nema 14-50 to TT-30, you need something like that.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
You can't have an adapter from a TT-30 to a NEMA 14-50 because TT-30 is only 120V. A TT-30 plug is basically no better than a regular household plug for Bolt owners.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You can't have an adapter from a TT-30 to a NEMA 14-50 because TT-30 is only 120V. A TT-30 plug is basically no better than a regular household plug for Bolt owners.
Confused. Are you saying the adapter I linked to wouldn't work with the juicebox? Or are you saying it'd be a waste of money and that it would be better to find a 5-15R to TT-30P adapter and use that with the EVSE that comes with the car to plug in if that's your only option? Just curious because I've come across the TT-30 receptacles a couple times and been unable to take advantage.

Also, I understand that the standard RV adapter for TT-30 to Nema 14-50 is wired differently than what the juicebox or other EVSE is expecting (because it's expecting two hots in different phases and that's not how the standard RV adapters are wired), but I'm curious why you say "you can't have an adapter" instead of "a better idea would be x".

1 - 20 of 50 Posts