Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took possession of a blue LT model Jan 19 and have just topped 2,000 miles, loving every single one of them. LOVE it!!

Got the (comfort package and) first level driver safet package, in ordder to get the rear camera and parking assist, largely because I back into my garage. So, I got 4 of the 8 smart/safety features, but did not plunk down the extra $5K for the second level package. (I don't need lane change warnings. I don't have trouble staying in my lane, and the bumps on the lines are sufficient warning. Also, I've never even used cruise control once in any car I've ever owned, so don't need a cruise control that knows how far ahead the car in front of me is.)

Did not get the fast charger, because I realized i'd never use it. My commute is ~28 miles each way, 2-3 times each week, with minimal other driving around town, so I can do almost two weeks on one full charge. And the farthest I've driven any in the last 15 years is 110 miles roundtrip, only a couple of times. The nearest DC station is 15 minutes from home, and there are none close to work. But there are several dozen L2 stations *at* work that are free to use for employees. So, I charge there 3-4 hours twice a week, and am covered for the week. The fast charger might (?) increase resale value - but I've driven my previous two cars for 10 years (Altima) and 12 years (Pathfinder), and expect to drive this Bolt at least until the battery dies, 8-11 years from now.

Only a few complaints so far. I wish the visor was longer: After finding that I was pumping up the seat to keep the sun out of my eyes, I've started keeping a hat in the car. And I wish the projection (or some alternative) allowed access to more apps (esp Waze, calendar, and RocketPlayer). But mostly... I'm completely in love with the thing. :)

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Welcome to the forum and glad to hear that you're loving the Bolt. from the sounds of it, you don't really need to charge the Bolt at home with how often you charge at work.

I think there are visor extenders out there, but they're pretty ugly. Or one of these would work, speaking of which I should look into getting one too.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Thank you very much for the update and congratulations on hitting that milestone :)

You must definitely be loving the ownership and it looks like with the range of the Bolt and your commutes, range anxiety is guaranteed to be non-evident. Seems like it's the perfect EV for you!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thanks for the nice, honest update. I've been waiting more than 4 weeks for my Bolt and expect to receive it next week, or not :)

Please post some efficiency numbers (m/kWh) you have seen as well as your total range numbers.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Do you set the Bolt for maximum regen, or is it really not needed since you can charge at work and your commute is short?

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
Do you set the Bolt for maximum regen...
I really feel like people think that "L" mode is somehow more economical than "D" mode, but it's just not true. Each time you use regen you loose energy, because the process of converting momentum to power, storing it in the battery, and then taking that power back out again and converting it to momentum is nowhere near 100% efficient. The most economical way to drive is to avoid using regen (i.e., avoid "braking") as much as possible by trying to keep the car moving at the same speed whenever you can.

Of course in city traffic you can't avoid frequent slowing and stopping - but if you're driving as described above and never really stomping on the brakes, then it really doesn't matter whether you do that in "L" mode or "D" mode - you'll get the same amount of regen from either. "L" mode is more a choice for convenience in not having to move your foot to the brake pedal - in normal circumstances you're making a mistake if you choose it because you think it will extend your range.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts