Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Available in the 2016 Volt, this system or a version of it is what we can expect in the all-new Bolt.

Great right to the point no fluff information right here to get you up to speed!

·
Registered
786 Posts
The first "spin off" or GM vehicle to use the Volt's tecnology is the 2016 Chevy Malibu Hybrid. GM will use a similar version of the 5ET40 electric transaxle but with a larger 1.8 L I4 gas engine, and a small 1.5 kWh air-cooled battery pack under the trunk (near the gas tank). It is not a plug-in due to the smaller battery, but it can run up to 55 MPH on electricity (range isn't known but I estimate about three miles) until the charge ends and the engine takes over. Here is more:
http://www.caranddriver.com/news/2016-chevrolet-malibu-hybrid-photos-and-info-news

Since the GM regen system is designed into the transaxle, the Hybrid Malibu can give up to 47 MPG under average driving (this is a GM estimate). City driving is where the MPG will get better. The engine will run more often because it isn't a "range extender" as in the Gen 2 Volt. But I bet someone will add another battery pack and a "plug" to the Hybrid Malibu later and become a new five-seat PHEV sedan.

The next "spin off" is a true PHEV, which is the 2016 Cadillac CT6 Hybrid, and I leave it here to let anyone do their own data searches on the CT6 Hybrid.

The Chevy Bolt will not need this transaxle, since it will not use a gas engine and need not balance torque and speed with the engine. I believe (and many others also) that the Bolt will use an advanced version of the Chevy Spark's simple drivetrain (one motor and one planetary gearset) and a larger liquid-cooled battery. This is why a BEV is the simplist vehicle to own and maintain.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Knowing that range for the top speed of 55MPH that it gets will be good to know. For most that will be buying EV's, 55MPH top in electric should be sufficient.

Thanks for posting that information.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts