Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
I would just go to a local shop (for a second opinion) and have the rotors turned to remove the grooves. The pads will re-seat on the newly cut rotors after a bit.I have 38k on my 2017 Bolt and the brakes are almost new, but they sound like crap if I put the car away wet until I drive it for a few miles. NO brake problems yet other than the tapping noise from the master cylinder/power brake unit that had to be replaced under warranty

·
Registered
214 Posts
2017 LT here with 31k miles and noisy brakes. Brakes are only used for panic stops; else it's always regen. Should I worry? This is the last day of my 3-y warranty.....

·
Registered
57 Posts
Noisy is not a helpful description: Noise when not braking (frozen caliper, out of round disks, bad rust), squeal when braking (there are products for this), pulsation when braking (out of round rotors). I would use the brakes heavily (don't use regen at all for a week or so) and try to get a little wear on them. If the rotors are the problem, get a local garage to turn them (machine them on a brake lathe). If the pads are more than half left, that may be enough.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Noisy is not a helpful description: Noise when not braking (frozen caliper, out of round disks, bad rust), squeal when braking (there are products for this), pulsation when braking (out of round rotors). I would use the brakes heavily (don't use regen at all for a week or so) and try to get a little wear on them. If the rotors are the problem, get a local garage to turn them (machine them on a brake lathe). If the pads are more than half left, that may be enough.
Noise only when breaking, like you'd normally expect from brakes that have not been used in a long while. Pads being worn down are unlikely the problem since they are barely used. It may not be a problem; the brakes still work. But I had heard here that GM anticipated minimal break use on the Bolt and had dealt with the rusty because never used issue - see #6 in this thread and probably elsewhere on this forum. This makes me thing that something else may be happening that might need to be looked at.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Noise only when breaking, like you'd normally expect from brakes that have not been used in a long while. Pads being worn down are unlikely the problem since they are barely used. It may not be a problem; the brakes still work. But I had heard here that GM anticipated minimal break use on the Bolt and had dealt with the rusty because never used issue - see #6 in this thread and probably elsewhere on this forum. This makes me thing that something else may be happening that might need to be looked at.
The idea of a coating on the disks is kinda weird, and I just dismissed that post as unhelpful: if it is on the surface that contacts the brake pads, it would be gone with even minimal braking... If they mean in the vents (and front disk are the only ones with vents on most vehicles that are not high performance) it would prevent some rust inside the vents/cutouts. Not sure I believe that is the issue. Pad squeal is an issue that can be addressed by putting some goo behind the pads that absorbs vibration. Some pad sets come with it. Honestly, I would still try using them heavily for a week, and then don't worry about it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Before you assume let Mr. Google be your friend.

Before you assume let Mr. Google be your friend.

..And the dealer "rust/grooves" comment? Seems to be a mistaken dealer or a failed coating.

·
Registered
214 Posts
So that leaves pad noise, my recommendation still stands
Thanks. I decided I'd see what the dealer says, on the last day of my 3-y warranty. 2 miles away, nice day for a pandemic drive along the Atlantic ocean coast. Yes, I suspect if stay out of :low" for a while and use the brakes it will go away.

·
Registered
852 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Yup, that describes me [NE winter road salt]. Something else to remember to do.

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
Do I understand correctly that Scooter is months away from turning in a lease and was considering paying $500 for front brake service?

I do my own brake work and typically spend $12-20 on a pair of brake pads and perhaps $40 on rotors (rare). It's an hour job.

My expectation is $500 would replace brake fluid, bleed, and replace pads and rotors on all 4 wheels.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Thank you. That's the one I couldn't remember. It's not a coating in the classic sense, but a "treatment".
Quote from the article: "FNC-treated rotors have a 400-micron (one-tenth the width of a human hair) layer of protection. Once this layer is worn through, the cast iron rotor can be treated like a normal one and machined if necessary. " Yeah, it's a coating that is the result of a treatment... Nice idea.

Durability in a non-EV: "The FNC protection lasts for about 60,000 km in highly corrosive environments such as the east coast and up to double that in less severe areas such as the prairies. " So IN THEORY, it should last MUCH longer on the Bolt

21 - 34 of 34 Posts