Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
  • Hey Guest, welcome to ChevyBolt.org. We encourage you to register to engage in conversations about your Bolt.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a battery pack recall on the 2017 Bolt?

Received a call from GM, the guy I talked to said they received an OnStar alert and there is a 2017 High Volt Battery Pack recall that has been issued and may be applicable to my vehicle. Told him I had the "Loss of Propulsion High Voltage Battery without Notification" software update done back in May of last year and he said that is not it. He said he would e-mail my dealer with the information and instructions on what to check.... Called the dealer, mentioned our conversation, and she check, then said Nooooo, it looks like a battery pack recall was issued on January 23rd of this year. At that point, I made an appointment for latter this week, and said we would figure out what is going on at that time.... Wondering what is going on at this point......

Also, received an e-mail....

Your 2017 Chevrolet Bolt EV (VIN xxxxxxxx) has created an OnStar diagnostic alert because an element in the battery has slipped below the threshold required for good performance. If unrepaired, it could cause a stalling situation while driving.

You may notice one or more of the following conditions:

• Vehicle is unable to plug-In charge
• No start
• Reduced or loss of propulsion
• Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) illuminated

We have left you a message and apologize we have been unable to make contact. We encourage you to call your preferred Chevrolet dealership to schedule a service appointment at your earliest convenience.

Sincerely,
Chevrolet Proactive Outreach Team

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I seem to recall reading a few threads last year about this. Mainly affected earlier-build Bolts.
Thanks, I'll read that thread tonight more thoroughly, but that looks to describe the one I had done in May which I inquired about and both the GM person and Dealer, specifically said no, this is something different.

· Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Launch Edition Ghost Grey
1,794 Posts
Thanks, I'll read that thread tonight more thoroughly, but that looks to describe the one I had done in May which I inquired about and both the GM person and Dealer, specifically said no, this is something different.
You are correct. The threads that circulated back in May were related to the software update, which you seem to have done already. The ones I recalled were related to actual battery pack replacements, and based on the verbiage of the email you received, it seems that your Bolt may fall into this category:

https://www.chevybolt.org/forum/82-...8-recall-high-volt-battery-pack-low-cell.html

https://www.chevybolt.org/forum/4-2...-100-bolts-may-experience-battery-issues.html

I'm wondering why this wasn't brought to your attention when you came in for your software update. Perhaps the issue just presented itself recently and was caught by the OnStar folks as you had mentioned?

· Registered
12/16 build, 2017, white LT
14,918 Posts
I'm wondering why this wasn't brought to your attention when you came in for your software update. Perhaps the issue just presented itself recently and was caught by the OnStar folks as you had mentioned?
It is quite clear from all he reports that the software update did just what it was intended to do. It prevented him from being stalled on the highway without warning, which was the reason for the software update. The software has now determined that his battery has degraded to the point of needing replacement.

Keep us posted.

· Registered
14 Posts
I received this recall last year for my 2017 Bolt. The battery has been replaced.
Just remind your service guy to pay attention that new batteries have different connectors for coolant hoses then your 2017 battery. I had to wait 2 more days cause they did not order proper hoses.

· Registered
761 Posts
I have to say I'm impressed by the actions taken by GM to "make things right" concerning their battery packs. Obviously, they are carefully trying to protect the reputation for reliability of their batteries - likely with future electric models in mind.

This is the opposite of what occurred with my Mitsubishi Miev, where I fought tooth-and-nail for months to get a replacement for a dying battery pack. The incident left a bad taste in my mouth, with the resolve to never consider Mitsubishi in the future. Reputation does count !

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Took the Bolt into the Dealer today for the battery install. They were not sure if they could get it done in a day, but are providing me a loaner, so not too worried about it. The dealer rep called, after reading the procedure, they realized they have no isolation gloves, so they have ordered the gloves and expect them tomorrow. Not getting a comfy feeling quite yet, but they are real nice about it... Thought about pointing them to the
where he pulls the battery out of a Bolt (step-by-step).

Note, I had about 12,700 miles on the Bolt when I got notified of the issue. I'll have to re-check the build date, but remember checking when these rumors about batteries first started coming out. Can't remember for sure, so won't speculate, bought it in September of 2017. When I got notified, I had noticed the estimated range starting to come down, but it had been on/off cold weather (30s - 50s is cold in Texas) so just figured it was that. Lately, with warmer weather, the estimated range with full battery (decided to turn off hilltop after this started happening) has been staying around 175-185, but seems to drop quicker.

· Registered
748 Posts
I have to say I'm impressed by the actions taken by GM to "make things right" concerning their battery packs. Obviously, they are carefully trying to protect the reputation for reliability of their batteries - likely with future electric models in mind.

This is the opposite of what occurred with my Mitsubishi Miev, where I fought tooth-and-nail for months to get a replacement for a dying battery pack. The incident left a bad taste in my mouth, with the resolve to never consider Mitsubishi in the future. Reputation does count !
This absolutely must be a dealer driven difference. I was the second owner of a Miev. On the very first day that I received it from Carmax, the low maximum charge was noted and shared with a Mitsu dealer that I have never dealt with. That dealer immediately decided that the battery was defective and ordered one the same day. Within one week, I had a new battery and paid nothing...absolutely nothing.

Reactions: NewsCoulomb

· Registered
18 Posts
Is there a battery pack recall on the 2017 Bolt?

Received a call from GM, the guy I talked to said they received an OnStar alert and there is a 2017 High Volt Battery Pack recall that has been issued and may be applicable to my vehicle. Told him I had the "Loss of Propulsion High Voltage Battery without Notification" software update done back in May of last year and he said that is not it. He said he would e-mail my dealer with the information and instructions on what to check.... Called the dealer, mentioned our conversation, and she check, then said Nooooo, it looks like a battery pack recall was issued on January 23rd of this year. At that point, I made an appointment for latter this week, and said we would figure out what is going on at that time.... Wondering what is going on at this point......

Also, received an e-mail....

Your 2017 Chevrolet Bolt EV (VIN xxxxxxxx) has created an OnStar diagnostic alert because an element in the battery has slipped below the threshold required for good performance. If unrepaired, it could cause a stalling situation while driving.

You may notice one or more of the following conditions:

• Vehicle is unable to plug-In charge
• No start
• Reduced or loss of propulsion
• Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) illuminated

We have left you a message and apologize we have been unable to make contact. We encourage you to call your preferred Chevrolet dealership to schedule a service appointment at your earliest convenience.

Sincerely,
Chevrolet Proactive Outreach Team
Got the same call and Chevy replaced the battery pack Jan 8, 2019. I had 21,500 miles on it at the time. No problem with the dealer, had a loaner, everything was fine. It did take 3 or 4 charges to get the guess-o-meter to get to 160-180 (it's the dead of winter and being in the Midwest, it's been cold). The day I picked it up it had been fully quick charged at the dealer and the guess-o-meter said 90 miles!!! But that slowly increased and was normal after 4 charges at home L2. Guess it's good to get an extra 21,500 miles on the battery.

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Received the call from the dealer yesterday, the battery has been replaced and they just want it to charge over night, ready for pickup today. So, it took about 5-days (e.g. in Tuesday, out Saturday). I started monitoring the status yesterday, 5% charge when it came on-line, looks like they plugged it in to charge around 4:30 PM Friday, had an estimated completion time of 10:00 AM Saturday. Guessing they must be using a level 2 charger. Currently (7:49 AM), showing 89% charged with a 179 mile range. I left it with Hilltop reserve on, not sure if they turned that off before charging. Anyways, looking forward to getting my Bolt back, they put me in a Silverado as a loaner (e.g thru Enterprise) :eek:

· Registered
2021 Bolt Premier
5,671 Posts
Received the call from the dealer yesterday, the battery has been replaced and they just want it to charge over night, ready for pickup today. So, it took about 5-days (e.g. in Tuesday, out Saturday). I started monitoring the status yesterday, 5% charge when it came on-line, looks like they plugged it in to charge around 4:30 PM Friday, had an estimated completion time of 10:00 AM Saturday. Guessing they must be using a level 2 charger. Currently (7:49 AM), showing 89% charged with a 179 mile range. I left it with Hilltop reserve on, not sure if they turned that off before charging. Anyways, looking forward to getting my Bolt back, they put me in a Silverado as a loaner (e.g thru Enterprise) :eek:

Yeah. My loaner for different work was a brand-new fully-loaded Silverado. I swear I could see the gas gauge go down as I drove it onto the freeway. 40 miles required $9 in gas.:eek:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.