Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2017 Bolt has experienced the brake booster failure problem. For those not aware this manifests itself as a thumping noise that occurs after the car has been sitting for a while. The thumping will start when the door of the car is opened. It will go away ( initially) if the brake pedal is pushed. The brake booster part is called "iboost" and was made by Bosch. It live under the hood near the master cylinder. You can feel it thumping if you feel it. My understanding is only the 2017 Bolt used this part and it was changed for 2018's forward.

So mine has failed at 36,000 km and the car is off warranty for this part. I estimate it will cost me about $2000 Canadian to buy the part and have it installed. I am not happy about this expense but cars are not cheap to own or operate. The question is - Is the replacement part the same part? It has a different part number. I have found people who say the part is the same and they have experienced multiple failures. I am not going to spend $2000 on a brake repair only to have it fail repeatedly. There are lots of EV's out there and the Bolt can go away and I will get something that I do not have to worry about.

So - Do anyone know definitely if the part is the same or has been upgraded?

Thanks for any replies,
Will

·
Registered
5,317 Posts
Yeah, I think it's worth taking the car to a Chevy dealer, describing the problem, and asking if there's a software fix for the issue. If so, it ought to be a lot cheaper than replacing the part.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2017 Bolt has experienced the brake booster failure problem. For those not aware this manifests itself as a thumping noise that occurs after the car has been sitting for a while. The thumping will start when the door of the car is opened. It will go away ( initially) if the brake pedal is pushed. The brake booster part is called "iboost" and was made by Bosch. It live under the hood near the master cylinder. You can feel it thumping if you feel it. My understanding is only the 2017 Bolt used this part and it was changed for 2018's forward.

So mine has failed at 36,000 km and the car is off warranty for this part. I estimate it will cost me about $2000 Canadian to buy the part and have it installed. I am not happy about this expense but cars are not cheap to own or operate. The question is - Is the replacement part the same part? It has a different part number. I have found people who say the part is the same and they have experienced multiple failures. I am not going to spend $2000 on a brake repair only to have it fail repeatedly. There are lots of EV's out there and the Bolt can go away and I will get something that I do not have to worry about.

Thanks for any replies,
Will
I have a 2020 Bolt LT with less than 1000 miles on it and I have this issue. Dealer gave me the usual runaround of "never seen it before - have to ask Chevy" then nothing!
I've read the other posts and have contacted Chevy central.

Thanks for any replies,
Will

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Had mine (2017 Bolt EV) happen after warranty period also. The part cost about $800 and the install was ~ $400.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was actually at a dealership a few days ago and test drove a 2017 bolt with about 36,000 miles on it. Of course I noticed this thumping sound right away. So I researched it and I came to this page. I am now wary of buying a Bolt to replace my Egolf with its less than stellar 85 mile range. Unless of course the dealer that I spoke with that stated they supposedly can remedy this issue with the software update (quoted $120), which I don’t think any of you all should have to pay for; or if we can just ignore this problem and it won’t cause any issues with the car or our safety. Oh what should I do.....

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
I was actually at a dealership a few days ago and test drove a 2017 bolt with about 36,000 miles on it. Of course I noticed this thumping sound right away.
Welcome to the forum. Maybe they can either fix it or knock $2000 off the asking price. I wouldn't buy one if was making the noise. I'm encouraged with the news that there might be a software remedy in the near future. I'm dreading the day mine might start making the noise. At least we now know more about it. That supposedly it's not a safety issue.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Just checked at dealership, the software update is not available, only thing they said is sometime first quarter 2021.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts