Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started a road trip today and stopped at a Rest Stop. Had had no problem. When I left the Rest Stop, I was driving at 60-65 mph when the car suddenly started shaking. First thought it was the road, but it became clear that I should get to a mechanic. Was near a middle sized town in Maryland so went to Chevy dealership. I was told one or maybe both break pads, sorry don't know if front or back, needed replacing as well as the calipers. With diagnostic and flushing brake line, the cost will be $1350. Has this shaking ever happened to anyone. Tires seem to be fine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We had little snow this winter so I can't imagine it is because of salt.

Does it sound reasonable that it is the brakes and the calipers?

·
Registered
641 Posts

My 30 years of doing my own repair, including brakes, I would say it’s highly unlikely. And I’d want to see those pads. Very skeptical

·
Registered
5,389 Posts
Holy cow, sounds like someone is taking advantage here.

I could replace all of the brake system components for well under $1k. Seems crazy some brake issue would cause severe shaking, though I suppose it's possible.

What did they diagnose as the specific problem, and what exactly are they replacing? I don't accept just throwing parts at a problem as the troubleshooting process.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I started a road trip today and stopped at a Rest Stop. Had had no problem. When I left the Rest Stop, I was driving at 60-65 mph when the car suddenly started shaking. First thought it was the road, but it became clear that I should get to a mechanic. Was near a middle sized town in Maryland so went to Chevy dealership. I was told one or maybe both break pads, sorry don't know if front or back, needed replacing as well as the calipers. With diagnostic and flushing brake line, the cost will be $1350. Has this shaking ever happened to anyone. Tires seem to be fine.
If your steering wheel was shaking the issue comes probably from one of your front tires. Before spending K$ it's probably best to check the tire pressure of all your tires with a tire gauge (not from the tpms sensors)

·
Registered
124 Posts
It happens to me once or twice per year. Sometimes, it is surprisingly intense, like if a balancing weight was gone.
Slowing down and braking a bit then resuming the speed gets rid of the issue.

It really looks like the car is entering in a harmonic resonance state. Anyhow, for a once to twice a year occurrence, I never investigated more.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Your brakes are not the reason for the shaking. They don’t spin.

You probably threw a wheel weight. Have the tires and rims inspected and maybe rebalanced.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Are you sure they didn't say pads and ROTORS?

IF they were replacing front and rear pads and calipers (all 4) along with a flush, that price would be about right. If they are replacing all four pads and rotors, and doing a brake flush, that is still quite high.

Was the shaking happening only while braking? If this feeling was happening just driving down the road at a steady speed or while accelerating, I would be very skeptical.

·
Registered
6,281 Posts
Not on my Bolt, but I've had some pretty rough shaking at specific speeds from the front end of my van when the CV joints were worn. The intensity varied depending on how much power was applied.

I've also had some speed-dependent shimmy due to broken steel belts in the tire, which can happen over time if the tires have suffered damage like a bad pothole hit.

·
Registered
143 Posts
If a caliper slide pin is stuck and not returning to home it might just barely rub. Don't trust the dealership.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The good news is that I drove the car back home (2 hrs) after doing some research and posting here. No problem. Hubbie tested it at all speeds and conditions. It never happened again. Will take it to my dealer or mechanic after my vacation. Thanks all for your input.

·
Registered
481 Posts

Not if you weren't using the brakes at the time it was vibrating. Sounds more like a tire tread separation, or maybe the self sealing junk inside the tire melted off to one side of the tire, making it out of balance.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts