Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
If your steering wheel was shaking the issue comes probably from one of your front tires. Before spending K$ it's probably best to check the tire pressure of all your tires with a tire gauge (not from the tpms sensors)
y sentiments exactly. Michelins have a reputation for throwing belts.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Could also have been a loose nuts on a wheel aha by examining the brakes they tightened then up correctly.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Not on my Bolt, but I've had some pretty rough shaking at specific speeds from the front end of my van when the CV joints were worn. The intensity varied depending on how much power was applied.
I'm going through this right now with my 2nd vehicle (2002 Impala, bought new, with 240,000+ miles on it now). Had a vibration in the front left wheel, so after removing the tire, inspecting it, and not seeing anything outwardly wrong, I did the "incremental test" and rotated it to the rear. Next day, on the way to work, same road, same vibration. So I pulled the wheel again on the weekend and did the 12/6 & 9/3 o'clock test on the still-factory-original hub. It seemed to fail (excess movement and dry sounding), so I just installed a new ACDelco hub, but noticed too, during replacement, that the brake disc was very hot to the touch. Hoping the bad hub was generating that heat, but made sure to re-grease the caliper pins on re-install.

Will see what happens tomorrow on the test drive. The still-factory-original CV joint is dry as a bone with no tears or grease leakage, but if the vibration remains maybe it's bad internally? Only failures of CVs I've ever experienced were torn boots, grease leakage, and the familiar clicking on turns, but maybe they can actually fail internally with no outward signs of failure?

The other thing I was thinking was (and this might apply to the OP also): Is it possible that brake discs could get hot enough to transiently warp and cause a transient vibration in a wheel? OP says their vibration "went away". My vibration seemed to "come and go", too, for a while ... making me wonder if there was problem at all ... until it reached the point where there was no doubt and I had to pull the wheel off.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Out of balance tire? Loose lug nut?

21 - 26 of 26 Posts