Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started up my 2017 Bolt (49,000+ miles) this morning and driving was jerky. Then saw three messages come up one after the other: 1. Transmission, 2. Stabilitrak, and 3. Steering assist is reduced, drive with care.

Pulled the 12 volt battery and had it checked (autozone said its ok, not sure I trust their test), charged it, put it back in. Still seeing issue (all three messages come up). Car drives ok, no issues (its not driving "jerky" like it was the first time I saw these messages). Two warning lights stay light all the time (I believe its ABS and stabilitrak). Should I put in a new 12 volt battery? I would have tried a new one, but have not been able to find one here in Raleigh. Is this a job for Chevy service? Unfortunately, my 36 months was up last week, so I don't believe warranty? Thank you,

·
Registered
853 Posts
ABS and stabiltrack sound like a wheel speed sensor, take a look at the connectors for each one, good visual inspection, and then I suggest reading the codes.

You can read, record, and reset the codes to see if they return. I would put a low probability of it being the 12V battery, especially if it tested ok.

And check the simple stuff, like is the parking brake fully released.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ABS and stabiltrack sound like a wheel speed sensor, take a look at the connectors for each one, good visual inspection, and then I suggest reading the codes.

You can read, record, and reset the codes to see if they return. I would put a low probability of it being the 12V battery, especially if it tested ok.

And check the simple stuff, like is the parking brake fully released.
Plugged in my OBD2 and it says no error codes. Still seeing the error messages. Would those log error codes that I'd see with the OBD2 scanner? Parking brake definitely off. Will see if i can spot anything with the wheel speed sensors tomorrow when its light out. Thank you,

·
Registered
3,291 Posts

·
Registered
853 Posts
Plugged in my OBD2 and it says no error codes. Still seeing the error messages. Would those log error codes that I'd see with the OBD2 scanner? Parking brake definitely off. Will see if i can spot anything with the wheel speed sensors tomorrow when its light out. Thank you,
Post above by @XJ12 looks interesting. If I remember correctly, wheel speed sensors, ABS, traction control, power steering, etc needs a different reader then the standard powertrain OBD2 reader.

I believe it's something about powertrain/emissions codes VS all other manufacturer codes.

My recollection is fuzzy, hopefully somebody else will chime in with the specifics. I know that obviously the GM dealer can read those codes as I believe the auto parts store readers can as well.

Good luck with your troubleshooting...

·
Registered
374 Posts
Replace your 12v battery regardless of what testers say. If that doesn’t work well at least you’ll have a spare battery.

·
Registered
326 Posts
That thread that was posted as a potential fix was my issue. When I saw the issue, the only thing wrong with the car while driving was that I had no power steering. This is a fairly obvious symptom and might not be the "jerky" behavior the OP describes, so the issue might be different.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts