Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son was rear-ended by a distracted driver. My first Bolt was laid to rest with over 70k miles on it and doing great. I bought another 2017 with only 13k miles on it.

My question is - I have one left over key from my totaled Bolt. Is there a way I can get that to work on my new (used) Bolt? I'm not talking about the physical (mechanical portion of the key fob).

Thanks,

Amir

·
Registered
627 Posts
Would be fabulous if you could have kept the battery for some awesome project. What happens when cars get totaled?

·
Registered
780 Posts
Would be fabulous if you could have kept the battery for some awesome project. What happens when cars get totaled?
A salvage yard buys the car at a salvage auction, disassembles it, sells the usable parts that others are willing to buy, and sells the rest for recycling.

·
Registered
2017 Chevy Bolt EV Premium - Metallic Grey
110 Posts
Picture of totaled car please? Would love to see actual destroyed bolt.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
If you have the space, time, and skill you can purchase the wreck back from the insurance company and break it down for salvage yourself (very profitable) or rebuild the car and get a salvage title and keep on driving it. If you don't want it, it is sold as salvage by the insurance company at auction and then professionals do what I said above, either breaking it down or repairing it.

Keith

·
Registered
780 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
You can see plenty of them at salvage auction listings:
Thanks man. This is a useful resource.
How would I go about scavenging let's say....a battery pack or drive motor or brake booster module?
I'm guessing the auction winner gets the whole car, but I just want a piece of it.

·
Registered
627 Posts
How hard could it be ? :p o_O There's the series on youtube of the guy doing the teardown of a Bolt, which is an AMAZING series and insanely thorough. Just get one of those screwdrivers with the combo tips and a pair of vice grips, and you should be good :whistle:(n):giggle::unsure:

Garage space is probably the most important and hardest to come by if you don't already have it.

·
Registered
110 Posts
How hard could it be ? :p o_O There's the series on youtube of the guy doing the teardown of a Bolt, which is an AMAZING series and insanely thorough. Just get one of those screwdrivers with the combo tips and a pair of vice grips, and you should be good :whistle:(n):giggle::unsure:

Garage space is probably the most important and hardest to come by if you don't already have it.
🎵It's an apartment life for meeeee 🎵

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
Thanks man. This is a useful resource.
How would I go about scavenging let's say....a battery pack...
That thing weighs 1,000 lbs. Before you even think about salvaging it you'd better make sure you have the right equipment to wrangle it around.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have 9 '60s and '70s era Hondas and Triumphs and a '67 Toyota FJ40 - so I don't think the wife would take kindly with me putting a wrecked bolt in the garage...... : ) Having said that, this would make a GREAT restoration project for someone.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks. I've already gone thru the process of trying to add it as "new" Fob and it fails because of the step which requires you to use the physical key and insert and "turn" the key to the unlock position. Obviously this physical key will NOT work in this new Bolt as this is the key from my original (wrecked) Bolt.

So my question is - has anyone been able to "reuse" a fob from another Bolt ? I won't bother if I have to pay and take it into a dealership.

Cut and paste from manual:
Remove the key lock cylinder
cover on the driver door
handle. See Door Locks 0 41.
Insert the vehicle key of the
new transmitter into the key
lock cylinder on the driver door
handle and turn the key to the
unlock position five times within
10 seconds.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What happens if you use a key from one of the other fobs to turn the lock cylinder in this step?
Great idea - I was assuming that they were matched together somehow - but I like the idea. My replacement Bolt is back at the dealer - as it was making the Bosch break i-booster tap tap tap noise until I place my foot on the break - so when I get it back - I'll definitely try this.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Looks like everything important in the car is still fine. Get yourself a Westfalia and swap it! It's a thing. Some guy I'm Canada did it last year I think. It was spectacular.
I love it. I’m an electrical idiot and would likely die trying to swap it! : )

·
Registered
8,704 Posts
Great idea - I was assuming that they were matched together somehow - but I like the idea. My replacement Bolt is back at the dealer - as it was making the Bosch break i-booster tap tap tap noise until I place my foot on the break - so when I get it back - I'll definitely try this.
The physical keys are cut for the particular car, just like every other key.

·
Registered
8,704 Posts
What happens if you use a key from one of the other fobs to turn the lock cylinder in this step?
This is what I did with a new additional fob I bought online. The key in that one was uncut, and won't turn the tumblers. I used one from one of the original keys. Some day, when life is back to normal, I will go to the hardware store to have it cut to match the others.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts