Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
We almost closed a deal on a used '17 Bolt with 33k miles from a Vermont based fleet car....Until we looked at the rear brakes. Dealer says there's nothing wrong but it looks heavily rusted to me.
Appreciate any thoughts. Thanks!

·
Registered
5,460 Posts
Having lived in the south for 45 years, I had almost forgotten how bad salt is. Jeez! What a mess. I will leave it to those in the north to say.

·
Registered
370 Posts
That's pretty bad especially since the bolt rotors have a surface coating that is supposed to inhibit corrosion. A few hard stops friction brakes only should shine up the rotors, the rest is live with it.
Good reminder for me to visit the carwash this winter.

·
Registered
921 Posts
My recommendation would be to "burnish" the pads and rotors doing what is typically done, by good mechanics, when pads and rotors are replaced. With a full battery, to limit regen and force the use of the friction brakes. That should clean the braking surface rust off. Note the pedal feel and make sure that is smooth and even, no pulsation. If that is all good and the friction surface of the rotors then appears uniform I would say the dealer is correct. If the pedal pulses or the wear pattern does not look uniform across the rotor face, I would ask that they replace the pads and rotors before you make the deal.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to all those who responded. I'll take the recommendations into account. I'm also calling a local Chevy dealer to see if this is covered under the terms of the 'limited corrosion warranty'.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Wow, I am totally underwhelmed by the coating GM is using on its calipers and other hardware. This is not the first post of ugly brake corrosion posted these last few weeks. I can understand the rotors but look at those other pieces. I can only hope they did better on the sheet metal covering the battery.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I noticed on my 2017 Silverado that there was more frame rust on it than I liked, after 3 Michigan winters. So I looked at more examples and 3 years old F-150s too. Same or worse. I guess rust if it stays superficial is something to live with.
Over on the Cybertruck forum, the faithful are sure their vehicles will last 1,000,000 miles because it's stainless. I've tried to tell them road salt will corrode stainless so don't count on a CT lasting forever but.... true believers are true believers.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Man, nothing to worry about... I mean, really.
Drive the car, hit the brakes, the best way to do it when going say 30-50 mph shift into N and start pushing the brake pedal. Initially gently, but then when it starts grabbing, push it harder and harder. Until, the best way, you get ABS activated. Do it a few times. You will feel if the brakes are having any issues.
If the car rolls easily after that (same thing, in N but going maybe 5 mph - the car on flat should roll easily and keep rolling for a while) it rolls OK, you are good.

Rust on rear brakes is VERY NORMAL for a car that was not driven for a while.

Reactions: ZoomZoom

·
Registered
739 Posts
If that is all there is to worry about, I would not lose sleep. Take whatever advice makes you comfortable, but the dealer is right in my view. The Bolt is such a great car, you will not be unhappy,

·
Registered
134 Posts
I purchased my Bolt a Month ago now. Arizona (was a Cali Car) Same year as OPs.. look at the difference

You can still read the lettering on the pads brakes and rotors still look like new. I live in Minnesota ..I will post again in late winter ..show how Minnesota winters takes it's toll fast (salt)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow, OneEV, that's incredible for a 2017 model. Attached is part of the report from the Chevy dealer. Seems like the previous owner tried to have it fixed under warranty but was declined.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,460 Posts
Living where they don't salt the roads, and being garaged, makes for an easy life for a car. Our 2017 has almost 34K miles now...only 1,500 miles since mid-March. Other than rain, it hasn't been washed since then.

wheel 2.jpg wheel.jpg

·
Registered
504 Posts
3 Michigan winters and mine don’t look anything close to OP’s. Closer to Arizona guy’s.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Ditto, to what GJETSON experienced but with 49k miles and over 3 years of Seattle weather:

Reactions: p7wang

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The dealer finally relented and now tell me they'll replace ALL 4 brake rotors and pads but not the calipers.
Posting 2 of the pictures because you can get can get a much better look at it now.
They're surprisingly rusty....

1 - 20 of 33 Posts