Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I've never lived in an area that heavily salts the roads (we maybe get a few patches in PNW with actual salt, but usually it's de-icer and sand) so don't know what normal rust is. However, DANG, that's a lot of rust.

·
Registered
179 Posts
That's actually seems to be a lot of rust.
I mean, seems to be... because I have no clue how much is too much for salty/moist states.

As for the flooded car - there are ways to check that. For example, carfax tracing - where was it registered. If there was a flooding in this are. If it was coming from parts of MI where dams gave up - well, I'd be careful. Or some coastal FL.

However, keep in mind that this new car rather had a full coverage and insurance would pay out more for total loss than any sale.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi all,
We almost closed a deal on a used '17 Bolt with 33k miles from a Vermont based fleet car....Until we looked at the rear brakes. Dealer says there's nothing wrong but it looks heavily rusted to me.
Appreciate any thoughts. Thanks!

View attachment 30394
I wouldn't let that deter you from buying the car. Any car from the north looks like that. The bolt more so because driving in l allows you to not use the brakes at all

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all,
We almost closed a deal on a used '17 Bolt with 33k miles from a Vermont based fleet car....Until we looked at the rear brakes. Dealer says there's nothing wrong but it looks heavily rusted to me.

View attachment 30394
Hi all,

View attachment 30394
I have only one brake rotor that is rusting. The rest are great. This tells me its a manufacturing defect. I am currently working with Chevy in an attempt to get it replaced. No luck yet and dealer said he could not replace it unless GM authorizes it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
If this car was not in a flood, then it was left with snow and salt on it to just rot. Look at the hubs. They're rusted, too. The disks are not expensive and it's ok if they are rusted. The calipers need changing. Bolts at the bottom of the shocks are rusted, too. So the bottom of the shocks. There is more rust on top of the end of the battery than at the bottom. Either this car was just parked in a shallow puddle (don't think so), or most likely, it was never cleaned of road salt.
Poorly taken care of. It was a lease, so the driver couldn't care much.
If you're getting a really good deal on it, it would be worth the repairs.

·
Registered
423 Posts
If you can't get the stingy dealer to replace the calipers, pay for it your self, or bail on the deal. I wouldn't buy a car with calipers that looked like that.
Arizona is too arid for any corrosion to occur.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Just had my brakes done at the dealer today - I may be a bit hard on them. For me the lesson is to be sure to wash your car during the winter, living in Metro Boston where salt is used.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Not just a Bolt problem.

Reactions: GregBrew

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
Not just a Bolt problem.

Very cool! Thanks!

I'm usually leery of info from RT, (which stands for "Russia Today", and is "a state-controlled international television network funded by the Russian federal tax budget" [1]).

This particular story is pretty apolitical, but you have to be careful, as the site has a very clear bias.

[1] From Wikipedia

·
Registered
5,460 Posts
Very cool! Thanks!

I'm usually leery of info from RT, (which stands for "Russia Today", and is "a state-controlled international television network funded by the Russian federal tax budget" [1]).

This particular story is pretty apolitical, but you have to be careful, as the site has a very clear bias.

[1] From Wikipedia
The headline is completely wrong. The theory suggests the earth's magnetic field periodically allows the formation of rust by shielding the moon from hydrogen from the sun, and delivery of oxygen from the earth. As far as I know, we have never taken credit for the earth's magnetic field. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
The headline is completely wrong. The theory suggests the earth's magnetic field periodically allows the formation of rust by shielding the moon from hydrogen from the sun, and delivery of oxygen from the earth. As far as I know, we have never taken credit for the earth's magnetic field. :ROFLMAO:
Obviously, Russian Fake News. :)

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Obviously, Russian Fake News. :)
News doesn't have to be fake to be propaganda. It just has to be selective in reporting the accomplishments and failures of each side. There's way too much of that going on even in American media these days. That's what happens when you treat news as entertainment instead of journalism.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts