Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a comparison chart posted from MotorTrend on the 2017 Chevrolet Bolt Premier and the 2016 Tesla Model S 60. Quite a difference in the speed testing but also a substantial difference in pricing as well

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Too bad Chevy isn't rolling out unlimited miles for their warranty powertrain too. 100,000 miles is a lot, but the Bolt will probably make you want to travel more because charging is cheaper than gad.

·
Super Moderator
2,561 Posts
So how does a vehicle that's almost 1000 lbs heavier and has the same power accelerate so much faster?
Motor size and final drive ratio. Bigger motor and lower gearing. You'll also notice this difference is also reflected in the fact that the Tesla doesn't get as good of a "fuel mileage". It takes more power to run the Tesla and it doesn't go as far. What this means of for the owner is the Tesla guy has to charge more often.

It would be cool if in the future the Bolt could come in an "SS" version with a bigger motor, different gearing, better brakes and a tuned suspension for better cornering. Of course this will come at a range penalty, but because of it's lighter weight and weight distribution, there is the potential for the Bolt to beat the Model S 60D at the track.

Sweet! >:)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Motor size and final drive ratio. Bigger motor and lower gearing. You'll also notice this difference is also reflected in the fact that the Tesla doesn't get as good of a "fuel mileage". It takes more power to run the Tesla and it doesn't go as far. What this means of for the owner is the Tesla guy has to charge more often.

It would be cool if in the future the Bolt could come in an "SS" version with a bigger motor, different gearing, better brakes and a tuned suspension for better cornering. Of course this will come at a range penalty, but because of it's lighter weight and weight distribution, there is the potential for the Bolt to beat the Model S 60D at the track.

Sweet! >:)
Yes gearing plays a huge factor.

Oh yeah an SS version would be nice...I was thinking the same on my Spark EV. But from all accounts, the Bolt seems to be apparently quite a bit quicker? My Spark EV is a rocket in mid-range.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
AWD in the Bolt + an SS package = Ultimate Thunder Bolt. Chevy would probably throw some hood vents on there ;)

Really interested to see how they perform in the winter though, there was that one guy that was testing one in extreme deep colds until he got rear ended.

·
Super Moderator
2,561 Posts
Yes gearing plays a huge factor.

Oh yeah an SS version would be nice...I was thinking the same on my Spark EV. But from all accounts, the Bolt seems to be apparently quite a bit quicker? My Spark EV is a rocket in mid-range.
Yeah, the Bolt is no slouch. 0-60 in 6.5 seconds is what GM reports and that is respectable. R&T reported 6.3 seconds in their test. By today's standards, that's a respectable time, but if you go back a few decades and that would be considered a fast car.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Yeah, the Bolt is no slouch. 0-60 in 6.5 seconds is what GM reports and that is respectable. R&T reported 6.3 seconds in their test. By today's standards, that's a respectable time, but if you go back a few decades and that would be considered a fast car.
For a FWD car that's not bad. My Spark EV is slower to 60 on paper but man this thing has some serious pickup in mid-range. I've embarrassed some fast cars with that thing up to my top speed. People don't believe me when I say it but that has been my experience. I hope the Bolt is even quicker.

·
Super Moderator
2,561 Posts
Where do you see that? I see both having 60kWh batteries.
I think you're mistaking potential energy, or fuel if you will with power. Power is potential energy actually put to work. Think of that 60kwh battery as gas in a gas tank. If you have 10 gallons of gasoline in a Smart car and 10 gallons in a Corvette Z06, which car would you say is more powerful?

The same applies to electric cars. The actual power of the car has nothing really to do with the size of the battery. The same is true for Teslas. The Model S 60D could potentially be faster than the Model S 100D Ludicrous even with the 60kwh battery. It's all a matter of how Tesla chooses to set up the car. Motor, gearing, controller profile, power cabling, tires and ultimately the weight of the car determine how fast it can go. The battery is just the fuel source.

·
Registered
172 Posts
The Leaf, which is relatively slow to 60MPH, is actually quite quick to 30 or 40mph. It will beat 90% of the other cars on the road (and a lot of the motorcycles as well) to 30mph, making it fun at stoplights. Even if you don't floor it, the single speed means no shifting, and that leaves most other cars behind even in moderate acceleration, as they briefly slow a little with each shift. In another 10 years EVs will be the standard for performance cars.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I think you're mistaking potential energy, or fuel if you will with power. Power is potential energy actually put to work. Think of that 60kwh battery as gas in a gas tank. If you have 10 gallons of gasoline in a Smart car and 10 gallons in a Corvette Z06, which car would you say is more powerful?

The same applies to electric cars. The actual power of the car has nothing really to do with the size of the battery. The same is true for Teslas. The Model S 60D could potentially be faster than the Model S 100D Ludicrous even with the 60kwh battery. It's all a matter of how Tesla chooses to set up the car. Motor, gearing, controller profile, power cabling, tires and ultimately the weight of the car determine how fast it can go. The battery is just the fuel source.
So that speaks a great deal of what Tesla has done then. Same energy source, a lot more HP, a lot more torque, a lot quicker even while it's heavier and still can have similar range.

·
Super Moderator
2,561 Posts
So that speaks a great deal of what Tesla has done then. Same energy source, a lot more HP, a lot more torque, a lot quicker even while it's heavier and still can have similar range.
This is true. The differences are also reflected in the range. The Tesla is more aerodynamic for sure and that really helps in the range. Also remember that a fast car is an efficient car and if that fast car is driven conservatively, they can be reasonably fuel thrifty.

·
Registered
4,560 Posts
The 60KWh battery is as relevant to performance as a 60 litre gas tank would be to an ICE vehicle. The amount of energy that a battery or gas tank can hold is irrelevant to how much power the engine or motor can produce. All the battery or gas tank dictates is how long the motor or engine can keep producing a given level of power.

·
Banned
350 Posts
All the battery or gas tank dictates is how long the motor or engine can keep producing a given level of power.
Wrong.
Larger batteries can also be configured to deliver more peak current along with the longer range, and thus more power to the motor, e.g. the insane modes on Teslas.

·
Registered
4,560 Posts
Wrong.
Larger batteries can also be configured to deliver more peak current along with the longer range, and thus more power to the motor, e.g. the insane modes on Teslas.
Can be configured that way. And you're right, generally speaking batteries with higher capacity are built using more cells in parallel which implies the ability to deliver higher peak current.

But, that current capability is not measured by the battery's capacity. "60KWh" is not a measure of peak power.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts