Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 21 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone!
I'm thinking I will buy a Bolt EV in the next week or so and have been searching this forum for a guide. After several days of finding very helpful and valuable info in various messages I decided to aggregate them all into a single list. I do have a couple questions though.

The Guide is in Google Docs and anyone can add to it. I'll add a link below.

I had a couple questions which are highlighted in yellow.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Bolt OEM tires are Michelin Energy Saver A/S with SelfSeal, 215/50/17. There are multiple variants of Michelin Energy Saver A/S in this size. The Bolt OEM ones have "TPC SPEC 3107MS" and "SelfSeal" markings on the sidewall.

Tires generally should be a matched set of the same brand and model with even wear and no strange wear patterns.

Tire sealant and compressor kit are standard in Canada, not in the US.

If you can read the OBD-II information, there is also a battery capacity estimate in 2017-2018 Bolts.

The estimated range in the dash is dependent on recent previous driving, so it will not be reliable as a measure of battery capacity.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Here is the 2017 option structure. Most of it is linear, where each higher level includes all of the lower levels:

• LT
  • + Comfort and Convenience (heated front seats and steering wheel, auto-dim mirror)
  • + Driver Confidence 1 (rear park assist and cross traffic alert, lane change alert with side blind zone assist)
  • Premier (leather seats, cargo area false floor, top down camera view when parking, heated rear seats, turn signals in mirrors, roof rails with roof rack mounting points, wheels with black painted pockets)
  • + Infotainment (wireless mobile phone charge pocket in center console, rear USB charge ports, premium stereo)
  • + Driver Confidence 2 (automatic emergency braking, automatic high beams, and other features)

DC fast charge is a separate option available with any of the levels. Inside the charge door, you can check if it has an orange cover over the DC fast charge extra ports.

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
I should prep my tablet with the Bolt PIDs so I can be ready to jump on a purchase if a screamin deal comes my way. That said, I wonder how much it matters considering the battery has an 8 year warranty, and might get serviced or replaced under recall anyhow.

Correct me where I'm wrong.
Some Bolts (base) don't have heated seats?
If it has heated seats, it has heated steering wheel (or only if it also has auto-dim mirror also)?
Premier always has heated front and rear seats and heated steering wheel?

I'm thinking heated steering wheel might be a must have for my parents, so figuring out how to know would be nice.

Rear heated seats is nice, but I wouldn't pay much more for it. Anyone in the rear is getting a free ride, and I don't take complaints from freeriders.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Your car, your money, your decision. Just know I've been a car guy for sixty years and the Bolt is the most trouble-free, most idiot-proof, most dependable car of the hundreds I've owned/driven.

I'd buy one tomorrow and worry less than any ICE.

jack vines

·
Registered
518 Posts
Some Bolts (base) don't have heated seats?
If it has heated seats, it has heated steering wheel (or only if it also has auto-dim mirror also)?
Premier always has heated front and rear seats and heated steering wheel?

I'm thinking heated steering wheel might be a must have for my parents, so figuring out how to know would be nice.

Rear heated seats is nice, but I wouldn't pay much more for it. Anyone in the rear is getting a free ride, and I don't take complaints from freeriders.
As I understood it for 2017, only the base LT with no options (or only DCFC) does not have heated front seats or steering wheel. But you can check these features on the car:

• Heated front seats: when the car is on, the heated front seat controls are in the lower corners of the touch screen.
  • Heated steering wheel: there is a button on the steering wheel.
  • Heated rear seats: the controls are in the rear armrests.

·
Registered
6,261 Posts
As I understood it for 2017, only the base LT with no options (or only DCFC) does not have heated front seats or steering wheel. But you can check these features on the car:

• Heated front seats: when the car is on, the heated front seat controls are in the lower corners of the touch screen.
  • Heated steering wheel: there is a button on the steering wheel.
  • Heated rear seats: the controls are in the rear armrests.
When we were looking for an LT in 2017, most had more options than we wanted. Even if the dealer didn't order them with DC fast charging, they would load them up with other stuff we didn't want. We finally found a dealership in Manassas that had two LTs with the DC option, and only the heated seat and wheel package.

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
As always, I figured something new like heated steering wheels were a dumb idea that nobody needed. Then I had a rental with a heated steering wheel and wondered why any cars were sold without them. Probably adds $10 to the manufacturing cost.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Tire sealant and compressor kit are standard in Canada, not in the US.

If you can read the OBD-II information, there is also a battery capacity estimate in 2017-2018 Bolts.
Thanks for the info @boltage!

So if we, in the US, find a compressor and sealant, it's a bonus but not to be expected?

Also, I read in another thread about reading OBD-II cell voltages that hey should be 'fairly even'.

What does 'fairly even' mean? .01v? .1v?
What would be cause for concern?
What amount of unbalance would make you say, "Nope, this car is not for me"?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As always, I figured something new like heated steering wheels were a dumb idea that nobody needed.
I felt the same way about powered windows and air conditioning. I guess that's progress for ya.

****, I don't think the Bolt even has a choke does it?

·
Registered
518 Posts
Note that 2017, 2018, and some 2019 Bolts at GM dealers are currently under a stop sale order due to a recall.

·
Registered
194 Posts
As always, I figured something new like heated steering wheels were a dumb idea that nobody needed. Then I had a rental with a heated steering wheel and wondered why any cars were sold without them. Probably adds $10 to the manufacturing cost.
LOL I felt that way about heated side mirrors. Then after owning a car with them, I tried to go back to one without. When you can preheat and clear the windshield, but still have to chip & scrape frozen sleet off the side mirrors, you figure out that it's a handy feature.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
For true. Back in 1976, Honda introduced the Accord and changed US small car ideas forever; they did a cost study. It was more efficient to build them all with the little shite; mirrors, antenna, radio, floor mats, tachometer, intermittent wipers, AC, digital clock, PS, than to make each optional and keep track of which one coming down the line got what. The dealers loved it, because the only buyer choices were color and AT or 5-speed.

jack vines

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
Mick Doohan I am not.
Hah, well I don't follow Moto GP, but I always intend to. Figured that was you in the avatar because the leathers have been used. My first crash at the track and subsequent bloody knees prompted me to invest in leathers. Great investment as I went down again the very next track day.

I always respected McCoy because sliding both wheels on a bike requires absolute precision of balance.

For true. Back in 1976, Honda introduced the Accord and changed US small car ideas forever; they did a cost study. It was more efficient to build them all with the little shite; mirrors, antenna, radio, floor mats, tachometer, intermittent wipers, AC, digital clock, PS, than to make each optional and keep track of which one coming down the line got what. The dealers loved it, because the only buyer choices were color and AT or 5-speed.

jack vines
I appreciated that the only option for the Acura TSX was navigation; everything else was included. It was funny seeing advertisements for the car saying "fully loaded", but without NAV, meaning it was actually minimally loaded. I suppose the other option was 6-speed manual or 5-speed automatic. Interestingly most sellers didn't seem to think that was important to distinguish, as if the type of transmission wouldn't matter to anyone.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Through the 1980s, Honda offered the Civic and Accord with a very simple option structure: trim level, manual or automatic transmission, color (usually only about three colors; unlike today, they were not all grayscale). Any other options were dealer or customer installed. These options included radio and air conditioning on lower trim levels where they were not included. But the limited number of configurations from the factory probably saved a lot of cost, reduced the number of incorrect builds, and simplified dealer ordering and inventory.

The 2017 Bolt option structure similarly minimizes configurations that could be built at the factory, since each option other than DCFC requires all of the "lower" options. Therefore, there are only 6 option levels to choose from. Multiply by 2 for the standalone DCFC option to get 12 possible factory configurations for stuff other than colors.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I appreciated that the only option for the Acura TSX was navigation; everything else was included. It was funny seeing advertisements for the car saying "fully loaded", but without NAV, meaning it was actually minimally loaded. I suppose the other option was 6-speed manual or 5-speed automatic. Interestingly most sellers didn't seem to think that was important to distinguish, as if the type of transmission wouldn't matter to anyone.
Perhaps these sellers had cars with automatic transmissions but did not even realize that manual transmission was available?

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
The Acura TSX with manual transmission is hen's teeth rare. A family member was buying one back when and there were literally none in the US. His had to be special-ordered and took months.

jack vines

1 - 21 of 22 Posts