Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Administrator
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Come 2017 General Motors will launch an all-new product that aims to push electric car technology to the next level.

Called the “Bolt,” Chevy’s new electric car will offer 200 miles of emissions free electric range on a single charge. GM filed a trademark for the Bolt name in August of last year.

Larger than the Volt, the hatchback-styled vehicle is expected to cost between $30,000 and $50,000.

Currently Tesla is leading the charge in offering an electric car with a significant range. The base Model S offers a 208 mile range but starts at $70,000.

General Motors is expected to show a concept of the Bolt at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit on Monday, in addition to revealing the second-generation Volt.

·
Registered
786 Posts
According to different GM reports, the Bolt EV (its official name) will be in production by "late 2016", and sold by the end of 2016 and early 2017. This reminded me of when the Chevy Volt was produced in October 2010, and the first sale was in December 2010.

We have to watch the famouts auto magazine spies, who can capture the first photos of the preproduction Bolt EV during their many test runs. That will start next year.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I am curious how much will change from the concept to the production vehicle. Do you expect the body shape to stay basically the same, or are we going to see some slight changes. For example, I am wondering if the C-pillar and the part of the back window that curves around the side of the car are going to stay.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I am curious how much will change from the concept to the production vehicle. Do you expect the body shape to stay basically the same, or are we going to see some slight changes. For example, I am wondering if the C-pillar and the part of the back window that curves around the side of the car are going to stay.
The styling has been well received, so I hope GM is devoting their efforts to improving the drivetrain and lowering cost, rather than tweaking the styling any more.

·
Registered
264 Posts
The styling has been well received, so I hope GM is devoting their efforts to improving the drivetrain and lowering cost, rather than tweaking the styling any more.
Yea well the original Volt concept was well received as well...

·
Registered
786 Posts
Summary of Chevy Bolt EV sales per month

According to different GM reports, the Bolt EV (its official name) will be in production by "late 2016", and sold by the end of 2016 and early 2017. This reminded me of when the Chevy Volt was produced in October 2010, and the first sale was in December 2010.

We have to watch the famouts auto magazine spies, who can capture the first photos of the preproduction Bolt EV during their many test runs. That will start next year.
I am quoting myself, since my past post was correct: the first Bolt EVs were sold in December 2017. I ask the site administrator to keep a tab on Bolt EVs sales per month.:)

December 2016 had 579 sales
January 2017 had 1,162 sales
February 2017 had 952 sales

Here is a link to Bolt EV sales per month that can be a permanent link for all members and visitors:
http://gmauthority.com/blog/gm/chevrolet/chevrolet-bolt-ev/chevrolet-bolt-ev-sales-numbers/

·
Super Moderator
2,552 Posts
I am quoting myself, since my past post was correct: the first Bolt EVs were sold in December 2017. I ask the site administrator to keep a tab on Bolt EVs sales per month.:)

December 2016 had 579 sales
January 2017 had 1,162 sales
February 2017 had 952 sales

Here is a link to Bolt EV sales per month that can be a permanent link for all members and visitors:
http://gmauthority.com/blog/gm/chevrolet/chevrolet-bolt-ev/chevrolet-bolt-ev-sales-numbers/
Not a bad idea. I suggest you make an all new thread about the sales totals and then maybe we can make it a sticky that people can check each month.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Looks like sales are going down a bit after the initial rush to get one. Not only will 2017 be the year for the Bolt in North America, but elsewhere as well. Just found out that it's a hot model in Korea, the books opened last Friday and all 400 units were spoken for within 2 hours. Now GM is trying to get more units for Korea to meet those demands and the Bolt hasn't even officially debuted there either.

·
Registered
150 Posts
February and March are always slow sales months. At least here in the North. Come the nicer spring weather car sales in general get better.

The news about the sellout in Korea is great news for GM. I was thinking back to the other thread about production shifting to Korea. I bet the customer service agent meant that everything produced was going to Korea not that production itself was going to Korea. Though I find it hard to believe that GM would put off orders in one market that wants cars to redirect cars to a different market. But who knows?

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Looks like sales are going down a bit after the initial rush to get one. Not only will 2017 be the year for the Bolt in North America, but elsewhere as well. Just found out that it's a hot model in Korea, the books opened last Friday and all 400 units were spoken for within 2 hours. Now GM is trying to get more units for Korea to meet those demands and the Bolt hasn't even officially debuted there either.
Because of the way GM is rolling out the Bolt, sales should be flat (or increase) until the vehicle is available in all markets. Restricting sales to keep demand high is a pretty smart move, especially when rolling out a brand-new vehicle with brand-new platform and technology.

I hadn't considered how opening up sales overseas could have a similar effect on demand. Korea is somewhat of a surprise for me - I would have thought Finland and the Netherlands would be the big Consumers of the "Ampera-e" (the Bolt's name in Europe).

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
We are in the middle of the year, and I don't see in what way 2017 is the year of the Bolt; neither am I seeing any Bolts on the road, or encouraging sales figures, for that matter. If I interpret the figures I have seen correctly, the inventory now is around 5,000 units, which means at the current level of sales there is 3 months worth of Bolts, protecting asphalt at the dealers' lost from direct UV light.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Well, by most actual Bolt owner accounts... GM made a great EV, so the car isn't the problem.
Which leaves two other factors.....
- Too expensive
- No customer awareness

Luckily, both of the above can be corrected. Gen 1 Volt started selling better when GM dropped the MSRP by -$5,000.. they can drop the Bolt MSRP too.
They can also start advertising the Bolt instead of always highlighting the Cruz, Impala and Silverado in TV ads.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Have they been advertising it at all? I'm not aware of a single advertisement for it. If I didn't go looking for EV options I never would have known about it.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Once you are looking for an EV, and are checking all the YouTube videos, you will see plenty about the Bolt. I was looking at the BMW i3 but got interested in the Bolt because of its front wheel drive, wider (truly 3 person) back seat, and much longer range. I drove to Dayton OH (from Huntington, WV) for the auto show and decided after seeing and sitting in the Bolt, that it would be a much better fit than the i3. I choswe the Premier version as I wanted 3/4 (color, DCFC, Driver Package) options. My wife likes it for its higher seats, well thought-out interior, and VERY comfortable back seat. After her thinking that she would not drive it much, she loves it. I mention it to many I meet (it is a rarity in WV) and show it (inside, under hood, trunk) to quite a few. The car has to sell itself, we should not talk anyone into buying a car that is not THEIR dream EV. As for me, I am delighted with my purchase.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Well, by most actual Bolt owner accounts... GM made a great EV, so the car isn't the problem.
Which leaves two other factors.....
- Too expensive
- No customer awareness
or:

(c) Limited availability.

That last one is certainly affecting foreign sales such as at dealerships here in Canada. And of course the Bolt still isn't being delivered to all of the states yet.

·
Super Moderator
2,552 Posts
We are in the middle of the year, and I don't see in what way 2017 is the year of the Bolt; neither am I seeing any Bolts on the road, or encouraging sales figures, for that matter. If I interpret the figures I have seen correctly, the inventory now is around 5,000 units, which means at the current level of sales there is 3 months worth of Bolts, protecting asphalt at the dealers' lost from direct UV light.
Well, it is the year of the Bolt as far as the automotive press is concerned. It's won a load of awards and has received nothing but big thumbs up reviews. If the public isn't buying them, it's because either the public just doesn't see the value, the public has no clue it exists, the public is just not impressed, the public can't actually obtain one, or the public is holding out for something else.

It's a combination of all of these.

Fortunately, I have mine and those that have a clue, know. The car really is worth pursuing and GM isn't going anywhere and neither is the Bolt. It will be around for years and those that really want one will get one. I will say that I feel GM has made understandable mistakes with regard to the roll out and the promotion of the Bolt. Unfortunately they seem slow to be able to correct these mistakes. Why this is, I have no clue.

·
Registered
8 Posts
When we decided to get rid of our 22 year old ICE car we started researching EVs. We're intelligent, watch TV, read the paper, listen to the radio and are on the internet daily - yet we had never heard word one about the Chevy Bolt, had no idea it existed. Never saw or heard a single ad, and we're in CA! To say that Chevy botched the roll-out is an understatement, it's almost like they want it to fail. The dealership was woefully unprepared to sell me this car, they could not answer basic questions about it - I was literally googling answers while we sat in the car and was feeding them to the salesperson. I only hope the car overcomes it's shortcomings - the poorly designed interior (seats, hard plastic, blehh look), and lack of charging stations (if you're not in a central urban area as we are not). My wife bought a BMW X3 for her car 3 months ago, and loves it, but she drives the Bolt more than me. It's a car that we still have to show to people because they've never heard of it either...hang in there Bolt owners.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts