Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone has had this sound come from their Bolt.

20201009_195243

It's a 2017 and I just noticed the sound in the past week or so. I tend to hear it when coming to a stop or being fully stopped/parked. Sometimes I've also been able to feel some feedback on "gas" pedal in time with the ticking sound. I'm taking it in on Tuesday, but just curious if anyone has experienced that sound before.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Not in mine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
almost sounds like the iBooster. does the sound show up when opening a door in the morning?
I've only heard the sound when the Bolt is running or for 15 or so seconds after turning it off. The video is immediately after I shut the car off after a drive.

Edit:
Actually had someone tell me to try pushing the brake and see if the sound went away which it did. That seems to indicate it is the iBooster. Any idea if that is covered under the 5 year power train warranty? My 3 year bumper to bumper just ran out on the 28th :cautious:.

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
Any idea if that is covered under the 5 year power train warranty? My 3 year bumper to bumper just ran out on the 28th
There was some recent discussions about that on another thread. Thinking it was a no.

·
Registered
4 Posts
This is happening on my 2017 as well. Same noise... iBooster which can only be purchased from GM (Bosch will not sell it). Definitely post here if it is covered under the 5 year power train warranty. Otherwise it is somewhere around 1500 to fix (or so it has been reported).

There are some that have been posting about seeing if this should be some kind of recall or service bulletin . Since it seems to be pretty common I think Chevy should step up and do the repair for free. Not sure how to proceed on this though.

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
Tesla uses the iBooster from Bosch. GM also used it on the Volt. Wonder what the issue is with the Bolt. On the Model S, a clicking sound from the unit every four seconds above 25 mph was fixed with a software update.

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
Tesla uses the iBooster from Bosch. GM also used it on the Volt. Wonder what the issue is with the Bolt. On the Model S, a clicking sound from the unit every four seconds above 25 mph was fixed with a software update.
They broke on the Volt as well. You would think, given that experience, GM would have looked to another vendor. Since even Tesla uses it, maybe there is no other option. That is just sad.

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
almost sounds like the iBooster. does the sound show up when opening a door in the morning?
My 2017 just started doing this a week or so ago. I hear it when opening the door in the morning. Sometimes it's a single click, but it's repeated up to seven or eight times on occasion. Time to take it to a dealer?

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
Time to take it to a dealer?
You've had your Bolt longer than me? (edit: wait, maybe I've had mine longer after researching that) and my 3 year bumper to bumper is up in 20 days. Other than a nuisance, don't know if it's an issue with respect to the brakes. It's a booster, if you still have power brakes than I would think it's still working. I also remember losing the power brakes on an ICE when the car dies and you lose the vacuum boost. Just have to push harder for the brakes to work. Supposedly the iBooster has something to with blended brakes. I seldom use the blended brakes using one pedal driving. I wonder if the iBooster just wears out the first tooth from always being in the zero position from using one pedal driving. I'd be avoiding the dealer like the plague. I've done master cylinder replacements in years past, so I wouldn't be shy about replacing this myself. $572

·
Registered
4 Posts
Each iBooster is unique from Bosch for each car manufacturer so that they can be patented and then only sold by the individual car manufacturer... Or so I was told by Bosch.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Mine went bad at 4,000 miles (5 months after purchasing new), replaced, or course, under warranty.
The really bad part was that "because of COVID", the dealer and GM had no loaner cars.
Surprisingly, this dealer has over 300 new cars on the lot, and about 250 used next door, but they can be loaners.
So, I rented for our vacation which started the day it failed.
Spent about $850 for rentals during the 2 weeks.
Repair took nearly three weeks since the part was available immediately from Michigan, but somehow COVID made it a 21 day wait.
And the service advisor at the dealer made it quite clear that this was really a pain for them, and I should be glad to not have to pay the estimated $2,500 for the repair.
GM customer assistance "generously" offered to reimburse me three! days at $38 per day, which was supposed to be through the dealer, who could not figure out that it was approved.
So - - the Bolt is an amazing great car for our needs.
We bought it new to have the so called customer care, which is pretty much non existent.
Even looked into trading up to a Premier - they offered $18K off full retail for my LT at 4,000 miles.

Bottom line - won't even consider another new GM car, and try not to drive by the dealer because I don't need the anger in my life.
Their mantra might be "we have your money and you don't".

·
Registered
27 Posts
I was wondering if anyone has had this sound come from their Bolt.

20201009_195243

It's a 2017 and I just noticed the sound in the past week or so. I tend to hear it when coming to a stop or being fully stopped/parked. Sometimes I've also been able to feel some feedback on "gas" pedal in time with the ticking sound. I'm taking it in on Tuesday, but just curious if anyone has experienced that sound before.
That's your power brake booster. Needs to be replaced

·
Registered
739 Posts
Mine went bad at 4,000 miles (5 months after purchasing new), replaced, or course, under warranty.
The really bad part was that "because of COVID", the dealer and GM had no loaner cars.
Surprisingly, this dealer has over 300 new cars on the lot, and about 250 used next door, but they can be loaners.
So, I rented for our vacation which started the day it failed.
Spent about $850 for rentals during the 2 weeks.
Repair took nearly three weeks since the part was available immediately from Michigan, but somehow COVID made it a 21 day wait.
And the service advisor at the dealer made it quite clear that this was really a pain for them, and I should be glad to not have to pay the estimated $2,500 for the repair.
GM customer assistance "generously" offered to reimburse me three! days at $38 per day, which was supposed to be through the dealer, who could not figure out that it was approved.
So - - the Bolt is an amazing great car for our needs.
We bought it new to have the so called customer care, which is pretty much non existent.
Even looked into trading up to a Premier - they offered $18K off full retail for my LT at 4,000 miles.

Bottom line - won't even consider another new GM car, and try not to drive by the dealer because I don't need the anger in my life.
Their mantra might be "we have your money and you don't".
Call the GM line and ask for the reimbursement, they most likely will do it because they had your car for so long AND you HAD to get a rental. Push it, they will likely reply with a yes, keep asking for a supervisor

1 - 16 of 16 Posts