Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
  • Hey Guest, welcome to ChevyBolt.org. We encourage you to register to engage in conversations about your Bolt.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently own a 2017 Premier that I purchased used in September of 2019, with approximately 62,500 miles. I feel fairly confident it was a Maven vehicle from Boston, MA. That being said, I did have the two software updates performed at the dealer and have noticed no issues with the vehicle.

I currently drive 50 miles round-trip to work 5 days a week and travel once a month from Ohio to Delaware to perform Air Force Reserve Duty. So in total, I put about 2000-3000 miles a month on the vehicle on average.

This last trip (attempt) to get to Delaware ended abruptly on January 9th in Bedford, PA at around 4:00 PM. I was charging at the Sheets on US-220 right off of I-70 and about 10 minutes in received the notification from EA that the session had stopped. No big deal, I have had trouble with these stations before and I went out to restart the session. No joy. So, I decided to try and move the car to a different station. Again, no joy. I received the "Conditions Not Right for Shift" message and could not escape either Park or Neutral. I tried a myriad of combinations of button mashing, disconnecting and reconnecting the 12V battery to no luck.

I then contacted my insurance company for Roadside Assistance and attempted a "jump" thinking that maybe it could be a low 12V battery. No luck there, as the guy had only one of those smaller Lithium-Ion jump-starting packs. With no chance of moving the car, I contacted the dealer nearby (Thomas Chevrolet Subaru) and asked for assistance. They were not certified to work on or even sell the Bolt, so no chance of help there. The service manager however, contacted numerous Chevy Dealers to inquire as to whether they were capable of fixing the vehicle. We settled on Star Chevrolet in Greensburg, PA, only a mere 65 miles in the opposite direction. I proceeded to wait on the flat bed.

I dropped the car off at the dealership and my wife drove from Columbus, OH to Greensburg, PA to pick me up. After a short nights rest, I was contacted by the dealer in the morning to expand on the issues that I had written down on the After Hours Drop Off Slip. I explained the previous day's scenario and waited for an answer. I received a call back later in the day and was informed it was the Hybrid Power Control Module 2 that had failed. Apparently there were only 3 parts in the US and I would have to wait until Monday before it would be delivered and installed.

Monday rolls around and they install the module. But the relay and the fuse for the module have failed as well. These were now replaced, with no impact on the condition of the car. Testing brought the mechanic to the Shifter and Shifter Relay which were replaced. No luck. Further testing had the dealer troubleshoot to the High Voltage Battery Relay, again only 3 in the US. This is a potentially 12+ hour job and I am currently waiting on word from the dealer. On the bright side, I do have a rental provided by them. It may be excessive, as it is a 2020 Camaro SS. While not the same and quite a gas hog, it is a blast to drive.

I will continue to update this post with more information as it becomes available. Also, while waiting, I discovered my local library has the Chilton manuals online and Chilton now has the Bolt listed with plenty of repair information.

The current moral of the story is, cars are complex and things break. Drive what you want, but I am sticking with my Bolt EV.

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
UPDATE 1/22/2020 1051 EST: HIGH VOLTAGE BATTERY RELAY installed, but vehicle will not accept charge. New charger expected tomorrow for installation, there were more than three in the US this time. :cool:

UPDATE 1/27/2020: The charger was installed and vehicle returned to service after an overnight charge. It performed flawlessly on the 218 mile return trip and has functioned properly since 1/24/2020. TorquePro now reports a 44.8 KWh capacity as opposed to a 58.2 capacity prior to service. The assumption is battery management re-calibration. Waiting on full documentation and will report what was available. Initial diagnosis is that the HV Battery Relays failed and caused failure upstream to other components. 12V battery was exceptionally low as expected.

UPDATE 1/29/2020: The battery reports the appropriate capacity (58.5 KWh) as of this morning. Upon review, it appears the battery reported the same 44.8 KWh when I had the recalls performed. Not sure if there is a correlation there or not. All appears to be working!

UPDATE 2/6/2020: I reattempted the journey from Ohio to Delaware and was successful! Battery reports 59.5 KWh. Now, to see if I can get this trip time down.

· Registered
6,836 Posts
@Logjammer, sounds like they really don't know what's wrong and are just guessing. At least that's my guess. They'll replace the relay and then say its the manual service disconnect (MSD). Hopefully they figure it out. At least you'll practically have a new Bolt when they're done. Is most of this warranty work?

· Registered
2,094 Posts
Unfortunately we have seen this scenario play out several times before where the dealership can't seem to pinpoint the actual root of the problem and they just start (hopefully w/the guidance of GM Engineering) replacing parts till all systems function normally again. Bad news is you're out a car, good news is they gave you a nice loaner, not a Cruze.

My attitude (my Bolt was in the shop for 10 days with a cosmetic dashboard issue) is it's the price we pay for being early adopters of complex vehicles. Our friend had his 2020 $80K BMW SUV for two days before the main ECU took a dump and they literally had to import the part from Germany, then rip the headliner down to replace it. He was out of his two day old car for 10 days shop work... and he's still got other issues to contend with after the fix. Just the tires, not including the rim are $400 each to replace! He already told me he will be trading in the car before the bumper-to-bumper warranty is up.

· Registered
2 Posts
I wonder if all the UTA, mission and man days travel between OH and DE and all the supercharging in between was a contributing factor.
That's a tough break airman. Mine got wiped out last week right behind Travis and our jacklegged cops
havent arrested the guy or impounded his vehicle.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.