Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I am returning my 2017 LT after 3 lovely years. I am looking at purchasing a used 2017 Premier with the Driver Confidence II package. As I get older, I think I could benefit from these safety features.

I am about 3.5 years from retirement. I continue to commute (healthcare) though less so than previously. I'm expecting this will continue after the pandemic is over.

My commute really benefits from the HOV lane. I am in California.

The problem with 2017 Bolts and the HOV sticker in California is that you cannot renew your sticker or get new stickers once the stickers expire. 2017 Bolts get you into 2021. I need 2024.

Not sure I can afford or want to pay for a brand new Bolt. The local dealer (so icky 3 years ago) is running some special for new Premiers and after all the discounts, it looks like 33k before T&L.

On Carvana, I see a 2017 Premier with the features I want for 18,540 with 43k miles. It is a New York based car. Since it has never been registered in California, I could register it and get 3 years of HOV stickers. Carfax is clean and says personal use.

Interested in hearing people's opinions about this potential purchase. Carvana will ship it and they offer a 7 day money back guarantee. I've never bought a car this way. I have an older ODB reader from my Leaf days that should connect with the smartphone app and give me the battery data I need.

Lastly, there's a 2019 Premier close by for 27,500 with 6k miles on it.

·
Registered
96 Posts
You can get 2020 Premier for $28k plus tax and license in CA now. Some dealers have almost $4k off MSRP plus $8500 from Chevy and additional $3k for Costco members. This doesn't account the State and power company rebates.
Where in CA are u?

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Check carguru, I am seeing used Bolts selling for $16K in California - meaning you can see it in person and drive off.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am in Oakland (Northern California). I am not a Costco member. I read the rules on that and I can't just apply now and get the deal.

Regarding cargurus, I don't want to buy a used 2017 Bolt that is already registered in California. Perhaps I misunderstood your reply...

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
I am in Oakland (Northern California). I am not a Costco member. I read the rules on that and I can't just apply now and get the deal.

Regarding cargurus, I don't want to buy a used 2017 Bolt that is already registered in California. Perhaps I misunderstood your reply...
You can always pick one from a neighboring state... I see some listings in NV, AZ, and WA. All better than NY as 1) the roads are not salted in the winter and 2) the car battery would have been in less extreme temps.

·
Registered
96 Posts
if you are not in a hurry, apply for this $5k grant towards buying an EV.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@utsug - I don't qualify for that program. Darn. Where were you seeing the deals you mentioned? I do find that SoCal has sometimes better deals.

@p7wang - cargurus does not ship. I would have to arrange shipping and I doubt there are money back guarantees. I saw several in Tacoma but they don't ship!

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
@utsug - I don't qualify for that program. Darn. Where were you seeing the deals you mentioned? I do find that SoCal has sometimes better deals.

@p7wang - cargurus does not ship. I would have to arrange shipping and I doubt there are money back guarantees. I saw several in Tacoma but they don't ship!
Carguru is just a search consolidator. Some dealers ship, others do not.

You can also check Vroom and Shift... competitors to Carvana.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@utsug - Wow. The biggest difference is the MSRP. The MSRP for the local dealer is 44k. The Victorville MSRP is hacked down to 38k. That's the difference. And it's so far away from where I live!

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
2020 has 10% more battery capacity (66 kWh vs 60 kWh), definitely more convenient on road trips.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It has DCF and auto-breaking (part of the DC II package)

I don't see any other dealers offering that much of an MSRP discount. I'm looking!

·
Registered
2017 Bolt Premier
323 Posts
I love my Bolt, but wondering if there’s another EV you could get cheaper, used, that would fit your requirements. I’m in Sacramento and agree about the HOV and am considering the same move from my 2017 Premier for the same reason you mentioned — the HOV expiring at the end of 2021. Maybe a used Leaf or 500e instead of range isn’t as much of an issue.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
@Jcray - I thought about that. I'm viewing this purchase as my "last" car purchase. I want all the safety features. The Leafs don't have it. And I would like the extra range for some trips that I regularly do that are around 100 miles. Love my Bolt! Still hunting.....

·
Registered
2017 Bolt Premier
323 Posts
@Jcray - I thought about that. I'm viewing this purchase as my "last" car purchase. I want all the safety features. The Leafs don't have it. And I would like the extra range for some trips that I regularly do that are around 100 miles. Love my Bolt! Still hunting.....
I don’t blame ya one bit. :)

Best of luck!!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi. I am returning my 2017 LT after 3 lovely years. I am looking at purchasing a used 2017 Premier with the Driver Confidence II package. As I get older, I think I could benefit from these safety features.

I am about 3.5 years from retirement. I continue to commute (healthcare) though less so than previously. I'm expecting this will continue after the pandemic is over.

My commute really benefits from the HOV lane. I am in California.

The problem with 2017 Bolts and the HOV sticker in California is that you cannot renew your sticker or get new stickers once the stickers expire. 2017 Bolts get you into 2021. I need 2024.

Not sure I can afford or want to pay for a brand new Bolt. The local dealer (so icky 3 years ago) is running some special for new Premiers and after all the discounts, it looks like 33k before T&L.

On Carvana, I see a 2017 Premier with the features I want for 18,540 with 43k miles. It is a New York based car. Since it has never been registered in California, I could register it and get 3 years of HOV stickers. Carfax is clean and says personal use.

Interested in hearing people's opinions about this potential purchase. Carvana will ship it and they offer a 7 day money back guarantee. I've never bought a car this way. I have an older ODB reader from my Leaf days that should connect with the smartphone app and give me the battery data I need.

Lastly, there's a 2019 Premier close by for 27,500 with 6k miles on it.
The problem with buying it online is that you cannot evaluate battery health online. It's hard enough to do so when you have access to the vehicle. As most of you are aware, GM recommends that, if possible, leave the car plugged in whenever it is not being used. This maintains the battery within specified limits to better preserve its condition. Also, you should only fully charge the Bolt when you plan to take it on a long trip. I'm guessing that someone who fully charges their Bolt daily, would see more battery degredation than someone who uses the Hill Top Reserve feature. The only way I can think of to evaluate battery health in a used Bolt is to reset the Trip meter (which should reset your miles per kWH to 4) and then fully charge the car. A Bolt with a healthy battery should estimate 240 miles of range. In other words, it has attained full battery voltage. If it reads out less than 240 miles it has some degradation. I hope there are readers out there who know of a better means to check battery health, if so, please let me know.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
@Honest Abe - You are right, there is risk with online purchases. The best way I used to assess battery health with my Leaf was using an OBD gizmo and my LeafSpy app. My OBD gizmo should work with the Bolt via a different app. Vroom and Carvana lower the risk by allowing a 7 day money back guarantee. Even for shipped cars. They don't refund your shipping cost though, so it could be a few hundred dollars for one ODB reading. I'm thinking that lower mileage is going to also reduce the risk of someone not optimally maintaining their battery.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts