Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
I just bought a 2017 Premier with DC2, Infotainment, DCFC and 38k miles from Carvana. I can give you a referral code if you want to save $500. I live in Minnesota, and we don't have nearly as many good deals at dealers as the ZEV states.

I had some similar questions. My "#1" was "was it owned by a smoker." If it smelled like smoke, I was going to tell the driver to cart it away.

I did test the battery pretty thoroughly: I had a ODB2 dongle and TorquePro before the car even arrived :) . Took notes of the capacity, and min/max battery cell voltages on arrival. Then charged it to 100%, recorded voltages again, and took it on a 200 drive to visit family the next day (and listening to a complete baseball game). Then took more notes on the cell voltages, and DCFC'd, then topped it off overnight on L2, and checked cell voltages again. It has very tight voltage spread, and 57+kwh projected capacity, and I have some confidence, since I drove it from 100% to 12%.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
@sundog - Great story. And great tips for testing my battery. Glad to hear you got a good car from Carvana. If I'm about to buy from them, I'll contact you for the referral code!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I just bought a 2017 Premier with DC2, Infotainment, DCFC and 38k miles from Carvana. I can give you a referral code if you want to save $500. I live in Minnesota, and we don't have nearly as many good deals at dealers as the ZEV states.

I had some similar questions. My "#1" was "was it owned by a smoker." If it smelled like smoke, I was going to tell the driver to cart it away.

I did test the battery pretty thoroughly: I had a ODB2 dongle and TorquePro before the car even arrived :) . Took notes of the capacity, and min/max battery cell voltages on arrival. Then charged it to 100%, recorded voltages again, and took it on a 200 drive to visit family the next day (and listening to a complete baseball game). Then took more notes on the cell voltages, and DCFC'd, then topped it off overnight on L2, and checked cell voltages again. It has very tight voltage spread, and 57+kwh projected capacity, and I have some confidence, since I drove it from 100% to 12%.
Great story. I used my method and ended up purchasing a 17 Premier with 37k miles on it. It was for sale at my local Colorado Springs Chevy dealer. Using my very basic test (fully charge the car, reset the trip meter and read its estimated range), it projected 236 miles of range on an 85 degree day. I asked a nice sales person in Phoenix to do the same with a Bolt they were selling, and it came back with only 175 miles of range, fully charged. The wild-card in this kind of a test is air temperature. The car in phoenix was likely exposed to 100 degree air temperature and therefore its test may not be fully comparable to the one done on the car I bought. It sounds like I need to invest in an OBD2 dongle and TorquePro.

·
Registered
207 Posts
One note on torque pro: it displays what the Bolt's BMS thinks the battery capacity is. The number can wander up and down seasonally, but I found that it did not change much day-to-day: mine has been stuck at 57.4kWh since it arrived. So I suspect that just connecting ODB2 at the dealer and looking at that one number may be enough.

There's also the possibility that the pack has a cell that is going bad, which can be seen if you look at all 96 cell voltages (which is kind of a pain). But I think the BMS would adjust the estimated battery capacity if one cell is not in line with the others, so again the capacity estimate may be all you need. The other side of this problem is: since the battery has a 8yr/100k warranty, a bad cell = a new battery module (after some hassle when the first three dealers tell you there's nothing wrong). That may not be so bad.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Try this as an example from San Diego.

Good luck.
I'd buy that Bolt tomorrow at that price, but it's not a real price.

After they whittle away at it with their $500 "processing" fee and (likely) $500 "Addendum" fee (whatever that is), then disqualify you for one or another 'rebate' or discount, and sign you up for financing at terms that'll take more of that $6500 "discount" back, you'll end up in the $27,000 +/- $500 purchase price range

But get the purchase price in writing before you walk into the dealership to purchase it. And verify it's the vehicle with the options you want because their website even says it's not their fault if they sell you a vehicle with different options! LOL!

·
Registered
207 Posts
I'd buy that Bolt tomorrow at that price, but it's not a real price.
I've bought two vehicles new. I just don't have it in me anymore. Even when I dealt with the "internet sales manager" and had "the full quote" faxed to me, it still took 3+ hours to get out the door. I think the time I worked with a regular salesperson took 6 hours, and I had a crying baby in a car seat the whole time. My preference would be private party (with private mechanical inspection). But in my market, private-party EVs comprise 7 Leafs, 3 Volts, 3 Teslas, 2 Fiats, 1 Outlander, 1 Pacifica. Zero bolts.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Great story. I used my method and ended up purchasing a 17 Premier with 37k miles on it. It was for sale at my local Colorado Springs Chevy dealer. Using my very basic test (fully charge the car, reset the trip meter and read its estimated range), it projected 236 miles of range on an 85 degree day. I asked a nice sales person in Phoenix to do the same with a Bolt they were selling, and it came back with only 175 miles of range, fully charged. The wild-card in this kind of a test is air temperature. The car in phoenix was likely exposed to 100 degree air temperature and therefore its test may not be fully comparable to the one done on the car I bought. It sounds like I need to invest in an OBD2 dongle and TorquePro.
I have found the range is more dependent on the speed the car is driven prior to the estimate than the temperature. Except when we have the car using AC for a long time while parked. (Wife likes to wait in the car while she sends me in to shop. Covid 19 has changed our shopping pattern.) That can really drive down the estimated miles. Unlike the Tesla which uses a fixed range per kWh, the Bolt adjusts it based on driving history. To really test the battery range you need to control the driving condition prior to testing. I am not sure how long you need to drive to achieve the best extimate. But I would go for at least 50 miles before trying the test.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
I also see higher range in hot (but not hot enough to run the AC) temps. I got 5.7 miles per kWh over 45 miles of driving yesterday.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Update....there are 3 used Bolts in my area that have never had HOV decals. That means if I buy one of them, I can get 3 years of HOV use which I will need.
All are Premiers with Drivers Confidence II, Infotainment and DC Quick Charge
  1. 2017 with 30k miles, $18,500
  2. 2017 with 36k miles, $18,250
  3. 2019 with 14k miles, $24,600
Dealer is offering new Premiers with 15.5k off, so that would mean roughly 30k for a new Premier.

Is there a difference between the 2017 vs the 2019? I know the range is different (and boosted slightly in the 2020). Somewhere I heard the seats were improved in the 2019.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Is there a difference between the 2017 vs the 2019?
sun visors slide out where they didn't on the '17. they dropped one of the map pockets on the back of one of the seats in one of the trims (yawn). The biggest difference was on the LT where the '17s didn't have many of the safety packages available. Not a problem if you're working only with the Premiers.

·
Registered
207 Posts
  1. 2017 with 30k miles, $18,500
  2. 2017 with 36k miles, $18,250
  3. 2019 with 14k miles, $24,600
I'm still relatively new with the Bolt, but don't know of anything I'm missing having a 2017 vs 2019. If buying from a dealer, I'd ask them to apply the infotainment upgrade, if it's running old software. The 2018 upgrade allows Android Auto use the full screen (e.g. for Google Maps).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I decided to extend my lease for a couple of months.

Two new intriguing used 2020 Bolt LTs.... both around 8k miles. Both with DCII/Infotainment upgrades. One on Carvana $22.9 K (car is in Ohio). One in a non-chevy used car dealer for $23.5 (car is originally from Texas but is now in Southern Cal...I could fly down and drive it back). Carfax is clean for both. Both are that electric blue color. Both would qualify for new California HOV stickers since they have never been registered in California.

Lurking in the background is the 2021 Bolts (not sure what kind of deals will be out their for it along with how it will affect new 2020 stock). And there is a new Costco opening up near me this month (I would go down there and join and get the Costco 3k deal). The Costco deal in the Bay Area is causing some crazy 2020 leasing offers: $154 down and $154 a month for 36 months for a regular LT (not sure if it can be a starting point for an LT with more features or a Premier).

·
Registered
28 Posts
Wanted to buy a Bolt from a local dealer. Pretty happy after the test ride; till we got to talking numbers.
Usual dealer add-ons: document fee, bloated motor vehicle charges(title, registration), etc. On top of
that; they wanted to add $2K to the price when I told them I wasn't using their finance dept and will be
paying cash.

Pretty happy getting my car from Carvana; 2017 Premiere. You have one week to decide if you want to
keep the car or not after delivery. Comes w/ a 100 day, 4K mile warranty from Carvana. Includes free
towing too I think.

Let me know if you want to go down this route. I can send you a referral code that will save you $500.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Ps; I notice a lot of the cars they sell have the Cali HOV stickers on already.
Mine does; but no use for me here in the New York City area. :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Yes, so many used bolts off lease are from California. What do you think of the price I posted for the car I am considering from Carvana?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Yes, so many used bolts off lease are from California. What do you think of the price I posted for the car I am considering from Carvana?
If you are in CA, you can get a brand new 2020 Bolt LT for around $24k out the door. They are discounting it up to $15k-18k off msrp.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I think it's ok; but they charged me $590 for shipping. See if you can negotiate the price further.
Here's the bill for my 2017 Premiere w/ DCFC, 33K miles:

21 - 37 of 37 Posts