Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking seriously of getting the Chevy Bolt. The dealers here are pretty clueless with respect to these cars, so this forum has been helpful. One dealer emailed me this morning saying that they were offering $4000 discounts to unload the remaining 2017 Bolts that they have in inventory. From what I read, there was not a significant change between the model years. Should I jump on the 2017 or stick with the 2018? Thoughts??

·
Registered
10,125 Posts
Thinking seriously of getting the Chevy Bolt. The dealers here are pretty clueless with respect to these cars, so this forum has been helpful. One dealer emailed me this morning saying that they were offering $4000 discounts to unload the remaining 2017 Bolts that they have in inventory. From what I read, there was not a significant change between the model years. Should I jump on the 2017 or stick with the 2018? Thoughts??
My first thought is that I am really jealous. :) Since we bought the car planning to drive it into the ground, we would not care what year it said on the title. Other than taking away the seatback map pocket, and replacing it with automatic steering wheel heat, there is no difference.

·
Premium Member
2,385 Posts
Main differences:
2018s have an automatic heated steering wheel (meh)
extendable sun visors (a plus)
'18 LT trim deleted the passenger rear seat pocket (double meh)

So basically, almost no differences between the 17s and 18s. Unless you REALLY REALLY crave adjustable sun visors.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Since I have never used the extended visor in any car that I have driven nor have I ever put something in the door pockets and since I have never had heated steering wheel, seems like the changes will not materially affect me..

·
Registered
575 Posts
Check the build date on the car you are interested in. It's on a sticker on the frame where the driver's door closes, just below the lower hinge for the back door. It's a simple code, in the top left corner of the sticker: mine reads '11/17'. This means it was built in November 2017. I have read on this forum that there was a rare problem with the battery pack in the first year or so of production. Look for a build date of July 2017 ('7/17') or later. Considering how popular these cars are, it's almost certain all the Bolts you are considering were built within the last three or four months.

It's best to buy a Bolt that had the DCFC (DC Fast Charger) port built into the car. It's an option that costs around $750 USD, and will be shown as an installed option on the window sticker. I'm not sure if it can be added to a car that's already been built. Although there aren't a lot of DC fast chargers out there yet, this is likely to change, and will prove quite useful on longer trips - or even local trips, especially if you can get free electricity from one.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Get it. Not major changes on the 2918. Why wait to start saving on gas? I got it as soon as I could and I did not regret it

·
Registered
449 Posts
I had the option of 2017 or 2018 - given the incentives on base price discount and a $2017 discount I got at the time, I went with a 2017. Might have to replace the visor at some point if it bothers me but so far, haven't needed it.

·
Registered
7,021 Posts
...basically, almost no differences between the 17s and 18s. Unless you REALLY REALLY crave adjustable sun visors.
...and if you do, you can still buy the 2017 model, then buy the extending visors (either a 2018 Bolt part or a Gen II Volt part) and install them yourself.

Since I have never used the extended visor in any car that I have driven..
If you drive in northern latitudes where the sun is relatively low in the sky in the winter, or if you drive a lot in the morning or evening hours, the extending sun visors are great. They prevent glare caused by the sun coming in the side window when you're driving at right angles to the direction of the sun.

I've never had a car with them before, but I installed them in my 2017 Bolt and I've found them to be a real godsend. My passengers have also remarked on how nice they are.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
I had the option of 2017 or 2018 - given the incentives on base price discount and a $2017 discount I got at the time, I went with a 2017.
Same here. Multiple dealers in our area had quite a bit of 2018 inventory come in, but after test-driving both the 2017 and 2018 models in different areas, there was no appreciable difference. Saved quite a bit of $$ going the 2017 route. Luckily, a nearby dealer had a couple of '17s still in stock (one LT and one Premier, to be exact). Very happy with the purchase so far.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Main differences:
extendable sun visors (a plus)

So basically, almost no differences between the 17s and 18s. Unless you REALLY REALLY crave adjustable sun visors.
I checked with my dealer, and the sun visors for 2017 and 2018 are the same. Do you have something that I can tell to my dealer (part number or something)???

1 - 12 of 12 Posts