Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I knew something was wrong once I charged to 100% (i drive it almost within 30 mins from full everytime) and noticed it didn't even have 200 miles of range. I normally get 250-280. Sometimes even seen close to 300 before any of those software upgrades. Pamper the car and drive like an old fart. Averaging 4.3-4.5mi/kwh. Brought it to the dealer after 2 months of holding back due to this corona virus BS. I did not want to be without a car (esp EV) for an unknown period of time but I had no chance but to schedule. Now I got confirmation that they will replace the entire battery. I am very disappointed as the dealer didn't offer any credits for uber/lyft or even a rental while I waited for 2 hours for them to "diagnose" the problem. I told them that you're not going to be able to fix it today as there's a major battery problem. Now I'm stuck paying for this thing (thank God it's leased) that can't do jack for me. And who knows when I'll get it back. I will never get another GM vehicle ever again. If anyone had this problem before, can you let me know how long does it normally take to do a battery install? I've had a 1st gen Nissan LEAF and they did it in half a day. Thanks and drive safe everyone.

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
I've had a 1st gen Nissan LEAF and they did it in half a day.
Could take a couple days. They don't always replace the whole battery. In addition, the Bolt has a cooling system that has to be drained/evacuated, vacuum tested, and filled. The Leaf is a lot simpler without an active cooling system.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Well it sucks. But life happens, does it not? They do owe you a rental car. Any reason they didn't give you one? The virus? It happened to our second volt lease too. We had a rental car for a few weeks while they waited for the part. We paid some $15 to gas the rental everyday. But again, life happens. It could be worse.

Hope it will get resolved really quick for you.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. Yes it could have been worse. At least I didn't stall in the middle of nowhere. I know tech will fail at the strangest times. I just did not expect a big corp. like GM has such bad service(s). Well, the dealer said they are replacing the entire pack and it's already on the way to the dealer. I've read an article about someone having my problem with their 2017 and replaced the pack 3 times! I hope this new pack can last me another 12 months when my lease is up. I thought this Bolt was the one for me but after driving it for 2 years there are many things I dislike about it. The seat that kills my thigh every time I get in and out of the car, the laggy touch screen, sometimes won't even turn on unless it takes a few minutes to reboot/cycle itself, absolutely no space to put your phone or personal belongings on the center console, a wireless charger that doesn't fit anything but an iphone 5 or older, etc... I came from a Prius and a Leaf so I wanted that all electric RANGE. This thing gives GREAT range, it's roomy as heck and not made out to be so compact like a Spark that some so called "youtubers" made it be. I decided to lease it since we couldn't get a Tesla back then. They were well over 50K then. Most likely I would be getting a Model-3 or a Model-Y when this lease is over. Good luck to all current and future Bolt EV owners! I hope they don't encounter this battery problem like in my case. Stay safe out there!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well it sucks. But life happens, does it not? They do owe you a rental car. Any reason they didn't give you one? The virus? It happened to our second volt lease too. We had a rental car for a few weeks while they waited for the part. We paid some $15 to gas the rental everyday. But again, life happens. It could be worse.

Hope it will get resolved really quick for you.

-TL

They offered me a SILVERADO. What am I gonna do with that thing? Add gas to it and give me 10mpg? I even asked if you have anything more economical? But nope, that's all they got! They have no shuttle service due to the pandemic.

·
Registered
197 Posts
They offered me a SILVERADO. What am I gonna do with that thing? Add gas to it and give me 10mpg? I even asked if you have anything more economical? But nope, that's all they got! They have no shuttle service due to the pandemic.
That's exactly what happened when our volt was in the shop. They gave me a muscle car. It must be a GM car or the dealer wouldn't cover it. Like I said, life happens. Make lemonade when you only have lemon. It won't be forever. Relax and tomorrow is just a day away. 10mpg is still a ride. I will enjoy the truck while I have it. Gasoline is quite cheap now.

-TL

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
That's exactly what happened when our volt was in the shop. They gave me a muscle car. It must be a GM car or the dealer wouldn't cover it. Like I said, life happens. Make lemonade when you only have lemon. It won't be forever. Relax and tomorrow is just a day away. 10mpg is still a ride. I will enjoy the truck while I have it. Gasoline is quite cheap now.

-TL

Yup. I was issued a brand-new, fully-equipped Silverado as their loaner. I'm a half-hour by freeway from my Chevy dealer, and I could see the fuel gauge move downward when I was on the freeway. I got 8 mpg with that monster, to and from the dealer. There's certainly utility in owning a big truck, but IMO, the environmental cost is too high.

·
Registered
197 Posts
If the environmental cost is too high, we can always choose to make it better. Rent a Hyundai accent with our money? Or it must be electric? Walking would be even better.

One time I did get an accent because they didn't have any GM on their lot.

But come on guys. Just for a couple of days or a couple of weeks at most. Is it that bad?

-TL

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Yup. I was issued a brand-new, fully-equipped Silverado as their loaner. I'm a half-hour by freeway from my Chevy dealer, and I could see the fuel gauge move downward when I was on the freeway. I got 8 mpg with that monster, to and from the dealer. There's certainly utility in owning a big truck, but IMO, the environmental cost is too high.
I don't know why so many people buy big trucks and SUVs. I used to drive crossover, now drive a Bolt. Cargo space feels limiting but have never reached the limit in real life. People can easily rent a truck or SUV for the once a year haul... or just rent a U-Haul truck... I am sure U-Haul would rather people do that instead. ;)

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
I'd be all happy if my battery needed replacement under warranty at year 7 of the 8 year coverage.
Me too, or really any point in the warranty period. I once had a power steering hose replaced under a recall, and I was thankful that it involved replacing the power steering fluid, as it was due for a change. The thing is, this is leased, so it doesn't feel like getting something since it has to be turned in when the lease expires. The whole point of leasing is no worries. You trade money for convince, and this is very inconvenient.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
They were well over 50K then. Most likely I would be getting a Model-3 or a Model-Y when this lease is over.
While the base price of a Model 3 was $35K, the average configured price was ~$50K. The average configured price of the Model Y is greater than that. I am not knocking the Teslas, which are good cars. I just would not try to make the "price comparable to a Bolt EV" argument. I think the speed of charging and the SC network are compelling reasons for some to choose a Tesla over a Bolt EV. But the Tesla is simply not, as yet, "a car for the masses".

·
Registered
197 Posts
While the base price of a Model 3 was $35K, the average configured price was ~$50K. The average configured price of the Model Y is greater than that. I am not knocking the Teslas, which are good cars. I just would not try to make the "price comparable to a Bolt EV" argument. I think the speed of charging and the SC network are compelling reasons for some to choose a Tesla over a Bolt EV. But the Tesla is simply not, as yet, "a car for the masses".
I agree. There are probably about a dozen Tesla owners I know personally. Mostly model 3s. My brother worked seasonal at Tesla delivery center, and he saw a lot of cars went through. We two put together have yet to see any car that has cost less than $50k. One friend vowed to have nothing but the base model. He has never gotten one.

My conclusion; people who own Tesla don't own no base, people who want base can't have Tesla.

-TL

·
Registered
554 Posts
probably earlier versions only. Not the later developed and refined models.
I did about 2 weeks of research before deciding on Bolt vs Model 3. One thing I checked thoroughly was battery pack replacement. I found a handful of people here who had to have a pack replacement and about the same number on the Model 3 forum. The overall failure rate looked pretty low in both places but both the Model 3 and Bolt have people complaining their battery went south and had to be replaced. It happens.

Mike

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
I agree. There are probably about a dozen Tesla owners I know personally. Mostly model 3s. My brother worked seasonal at Tesla delivery center, and he saw a lot of cars went through. We two put together have yet to see any car that has cost less than $50k. One friend vowed to have nothing but the base model. He has never gotten one.

My conclusion; people who own Tesla don't own no base, people who want base can't have Tesla.

-TL

The fact that people choose to option up a Tesla should have no bearing on what you can buy one for. The same can be said for the base model of most cars.

It's been posted with links numerous times how to buy the $35,400 + delivery, model 3, which is still available via phone call. The features you decide worthwhile are completely up to the buyer. You don't have to settle for whatever is on the lot and pay for something you don't want. The Model 3's are not made to order like the S and X but you still configure it exactly how you want it with little fuss or negotiations.

It compares favorably to any other car in it's class and is well equipped along with the usual Tesla advantages (OTA, Supercharger network, future upgrades etc.)
The reason most people upgrade to the $39,400 SR+ is because it's a much better value for the extra $4k which includes some level of TACC/Autopilot features, 20 mile increase of range, upgraded interior, maps, etc.
Just don't be mislead to think because you don't see them out and about, you can't buy one.

If you shop around, you can certainly buy a Bolt for less than $35k though.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I don't want to knock on other Bolt owners here but when it was early 2018, I didn't have much of an option on buying a Model 3 for the price of a Premier packaged BOLT which was close to the 43-44K. So I went with a lease (i planned on purchasing it after the 3 years but doesn't seem likely at the moment) and wait out the 3 years. I'm glad I did. How the Model 3 prices dropped due to no more tax credits was a blessing in disguise for me. Efficiency on the Model3 will overtake the Bolt every time due to the equipment and aerodynamics. It's been tested by numerous people. Not by a lot but still, what's better is better. I will give up the hatchback spaciousness, surrounding cameras, rear LCD mirror and all that...for the supercharging network, Auto-Pilot, and just a better performance & value overall currently. And NO i will not even consider driving a gas guzzling truck in place of pure BEV. It's like a slap on the face from the dealer to offer such a vehicle considering me as a person loving the environment.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I don't want to knock on other Bolt owners here but when it was early 2018, I didn't have much of an option on buying a Model 3 for the price of a Premier packaged BOLT which was close to the 43-44K. So I went with a lease (i planned on purchasing it after the 3 years but doesn't seem likely at the moment) and wait out the 3 years. I'm glad I did. How the Model 3 prices dropped due to no more tax credits was a blessing in disguise for me. Efficiency on the Model3 will overtake the Bolt every time due to the equipment and aerodynamics. It's been tested by numerous people. Not by a lot but still, what's better is better. I will give up the hatchback spaciousness, surrounding cameras, rear LCD mirror and all that...for the supercharging network, Auto-Pilot, and just a better performance & value overall currently. And NO i will not even consider driving a gas guzzling truck in place of pure BEV. It's like a slap on the face from the dealer to offer such a vehicle considering me as a person loving the environment.
Sounds like for your use case, the Model 3 is a better choice. For me, the Bolt is. That's why I'm glad we have more EV choices every year. Get what fits. But as far as build quality and reliability (Bolt vs Model 3), I don't think one stands out over the other. They're both solid cars for the class they occupy.

Mike

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Coming from a Bolt, have you considered the Model Y? I realize it's a few thousand more but if you find the hatchback concept more to your lifestyle, it fits that niche. But, the bigger advantage is all the improvements that they made compared to the Model 3.
If you watch the Sandy Munro you tube video's he gives a detailed breakdown and comparison between the two and as great of a car as the Model 3 is, the Y is just better under the skin. You may want to hold off on buying some of the OTA upgrades if the budget is tight and upgrade later if it makes sense financially then.
That's one of the underappreciated features is it not only improves over time via standard OTA upgrades which is unique in the industry but you can add options after purchase that would be impossible with any other car.
The other point that a lot of people don't take into consideration when comparing the initial price differential is the TCO? If you ever plan on selling or trading in the car, the resale value should be considered and that's where Tesla blows away the competition, ICEV or BEV. It's hard to put a value though on the Supercharger Network. To some it's priceless as their time, convenience, flexibility, confidence/stress and risk aversion is high on their priority list.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts