Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And, thaaaaaaaats all folks. As first noticed by @gkohn

• Replacement of the heated steering wheel with the automatic heated steering wheel as a standalone option and on the Comfort & Convenience Package
  • Deletion of front passenger seatback map pocket as standard equipment on 2LT trim level

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
Yup. It will only get worse from here. In five years it will be bigger than the current model, it will have more gadgets, it will use more energy. But it will do it more efficiently. :)

·
Registered
508 Posts

• Replacement of the heated steering wheel with the automatic heated steering wheel as a standalone option and on the Comfort & Convenience Package
  • Deletion of front passenger seatback map pocket as standard equipment on 2LT trim level
Still offering the stupid ash white dash, so you can't see out of the windshield in bright conditions? Inquiring minds want to know.

Of more interest, will be the all electric Buick Encore to see what they did to differentiate it from the Bolt.:nerd:

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
"Of more interest, will be the all electric Buick Encore to see what they did to differentiate it from the Bolt."

Well, it will be less efficient...more frontal area, more ground clearance...so that is a given. A non-starter for me.

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
Still offering the stupid ash white dash, so you can't see out of the windshield in bright conditions?
unfortunately this is what I have on order. Didn't know about the issue until way too late. I ordered everything the lightest color, inside and out. This is because I live in the southwest where the sun shines >80% of the year. Figured heat load would cut into the range. I almost always wear sunglasses during the day. So, they will definitely be a polarized pair.

·
Registered
3,626 Posts

Really? I thought they would increase the resolution on the back up camera at least.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Really? I thought they would increase the resolution on the back up camera at least.
I don't know how these things go since I've never followed car releases before, but I normally wouldn't be surprised if they increased the resolution but didn't list it as a new feature. OTOH that would also mean a spare parts inventory increase so maybe not for that reason.

And also for people upset about the resolution, you have to consider that when using the backup system the car is having to do a lot of video processing and that is expensive in CPU terms. The birds eye view in particular eats a lot of bandwidth and cycles (unless they have a dedicated video processor which I would guess not). Don't know how they did this, I believe the tech comes from Bosch and maybe they are the ones with the limitation, but certainly it's not as simple as just upping the resolution.

·
Registered
989 Posts
unfortunately this is what I have on order. Didn't know about the issue until way too late. I ordered everything the lightest color, inside and out. This is because I live in the southwest where the sun shines >80% of the year. Figured heat load would cut into the range. I almost always wear sunglasses during the day. So, they will definitely be a polarized pair.
You can add a dash mat to eliminate it. Cheap fix :nerd:

·
Registered
75 Posts
"Deletion of front passenger seatback map pocket as standard equipment on 2LT trim level"

... thus enraging Uber drivers. That's where the passenger's barf bag goes. Puke in your interior means you can't work for the rest of the night. Given that the Bolt was designed specifically with ride-hailing drivers in mind, this is literally the most self-sabotaging piece of pointlessly picayune cost-cutting I can imagine.

·
Super Moderator
2,067 Posts
"Deletion of front passenger seatback map pocket as standard equipment on 2LT trim level"

... thus enraging Uber drivers. That's where the passenger's barf bag goes. Puke in your interior means you can't work for the rest of the night. Given that the Bolt was designed specifically with ride-hailing drivers in mind, this is literally the most self-sabotaging piece of pointlessly picayune cost-cutting I can imagine.
Get the Premier version and you get the map/puke bag pocket back. :D

·
Registered
75 Posts
"Get the Premier version and you get the map/puke bag pocket back."

Probably a good idea anyway given the Premiere's wipe-clean leathery seats and low-speed automatic emergency don't-hit-the-drunk-pedestrian-crossing-on-red braking. ?

·
Registered
770 Posts
[*]Deletion of front passenger seatback map pocket as standard equipment on 2LT trim level
[/LIST]
Hummm... somethings fishy about this "change". Was there some focus group research data that indicated
customers would upgrade from an LT to a Premiere trim if the LT didn't have the standard map pocket?

I think not!

What senior engineer at GM is sitting in the back seat and finds themselves thinking; Gee, we could save a lot of weight if it wasn't for this silly extra vinyl back here.

Nah.

My suspicion is some new seating package that solves the existing issues, but doesn't call attention as being a major change - so existing owners won't clamor for new seats!!

Yeah, that's the ticket! :eek:

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I don't know how these things go since I've never followed car releases before, but I normally wouldn't be surprised if they increased the resolution but didn't list it as a new feature. OTOH that would also mean a spare parts inventory increase so maybe not for that reason.

And also for people upset about the resolution, you have to consider that when using the backup system the car is having to do a lot of video processing and that is expensive in CPU terms. The birds eye view in particular eats a lot of bandwidth and cycles (unless they have a dedicated video processor which I would guess not).
What video processing is the backup camera doing? The 360-view I see in demos looks just like warped images of video blurred together at the edges. I have camera apps that do this in real time at pretty high resolution on my android phone. I don't think the processing is that intensive. If you're referring to the backup guidance lines, that's not processing intensive at all. They're just mapping a certain amount of steering wheel turn to a specific graphic for the guidance lines. Even if they were on-the-fly calculating those lines based on total steering wheel angel, that's not a lot of processing. That's like calculator processing.

Hummm... somethings fishy about this "change". Was there some focus group research data that indicated
customers would upgrade from an LT to a Premiere trim if the LT didn't have the standard map pocket?

I think not!

What senior engineer at GM is sitting in the back seat and finds themselves thinking; Gee, we could save a lot of weight if it wasn't for this silly extra vinyl back here.

Nah.

My suspicion is some new seating package that solves the existing issues, but doesn't call attention as being a major change - so existing owners won't clamor for new seats!!

Yeah, that's the ticket! :eek:
That stood out to me as well. It's either they're too dumb and really want to cut corners or they're being discrete about upgrading the seats to something more comfortable. If they do, you betcha I'm going to start asking GM why I can't have those 2018 MY seats in my 2017 MY Bolt as a fix for the horrible seats.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What video processing is the backup camera doing? The 360-view I see in demos looks just like warped images of video blurred together at the edges. I have camera apps that do this in real time at pretty high resolution on my android phone.
Yes and your phone is doing little else, only has one camera and is a pretty high spec CPU. The car has a CAN bus with lots of bandwidth and processing lots of data for managing the car, in addition to the video. I work in visual recognition for cars as a hobby using the Jetson platform (professionally do something similar using on a mobile measurement platform). This CPU/GPU SOM is quite chunky for a mobile platform, but once you start stacking cameras you swamp your CPU with pure video CODEC processing, never mind anything above that. The Jetson carrier board I use has dedicated video processing hardware and so I buy the more expensive cameras to take advantage of that.

They might have dedicated FPGA's or processing ASIC's for the video or might not, my point is simply that you can't assume it's an easy problem. What jumps out at me is that it is a low resolution, it's naive to think they did this from negligence or didn't think about it. To me that says they only would have such a low res for some particular reason. I guess would be that they're actually higher res cameras, but they chop it down due to processing overhead, or even possibly safety. I'd expect they don't want you to rely too much on the camera and so give you a low res view to encourage looking out the window.

It's entirely possible that as they get more comfortable with these in the wild a software update ups the resolution suddenly.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Note these are just the orderable features, not necessarily the actual features on the car. We've already seen some hint of a LED lighted charge port, this be standard on the 2018.

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
How does the "automatic" heated steering wheel work? I haven't heard of this before.

·
Registered
508 Posts
You can add a dash mat to eliminate it. Cheap fix :nerd:
I installed a dash mat (from Dash Care) and the reflection problem was eliminated. Cost $50 and took a half hour to install) Details are in another thread (Dash Board Design Fail) that I started last January, only days after picking mine up. No polaroid lenses required.

Still Chevy shouldn't use that color combination as it is unsafe at any speed.:nerd:

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
How does the "automatic" heated steering wheel work? I haven't heard of this before.
I assume it applies heat to the steering wheel the same way as it does for the "auto" position for the heated seats. And that probably uses some sort of factor based on cabin temperature.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts