Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,028 Posts
I was motivated to buy the Tesla Gen UMC by this post (rather it''s predecessor) so it seems like a good place to complain. I used it with the Nema 6-20 adapter and a 20ft 12 gauge extension cord. It worked once for an 8hour charge. The next time I tried it, a few months later, it started charging and the gave up after an hour. The UMC no longer lights with any adapter. As it was still under warranty Tesla took it back and promised to send a replacement but they are back ordered because, I suppose, they have to supply one with each Model3 so they have run out for the commoners like me. Others may want to consider my experience with a product that is genius in theory.

After complaining to Tesla, I finally received a replacement today. I plugged it into my 14-50 receptacle and watched the green lights, then plugged in my "teslatap" (labelled "Duosida") and plugged it into my Bolt. Charging worked for about one hour and then was interrupted (no idea why, no blackouts, nothing else was affected). Unplugged everything then tried it all again, it charged for a half-hour then was interrupted. The only commonality in the two interruptions was that the failure occurred near the time when charging was due to end (according to the Bolt dashboard), as if the setup cannot deal with the end of the charging sequence. I tried it a third time (when charging was due to end in ten minutes) and it finished without incident. Anyone have any ideas? Don't blame my 240v line which has been working with my Clippercreek for two years without any problems./forum/images/ChevyBolt/smilies/tango_face_sad.png
I read on the Teslatap website (http://www.umc-j1772.com) the following: "Only compatible with some of the new Tesla Model 3 UMC's and you must use only the NEMA 14-50 or 5-15 connector." That may pretty much kill it for me.
The JDapter has no such warnings.
https://shop.quickchargepower.com/JDapter-Stub-Tesla-Charge-Station-Adaptor-JDPTRSTB.htm

·
Registered
622 Posts
The only commonality in the two interruptions was that the failure occurred near the time when charging was due to end (according to the Bolt dashboard), as if the setup cannot deal with the end of the charging sequence. I tried it a third time (when charging was due to end in ten minutes) and it finished without incident.[/FONT]
Many new electric devices need to comply with new requirements for "no-load" power draw. I wonder if the the newer Tesla EVSEs are calibrated for a minimum Tesla load draw at full and not a Bolt and turn off assuming the vehicle is fully charged. Do you know anyone else with a EV that you could test swap with to see what happens? Could just be a defective Tesla UMC

https://www.energystar.gov/products/evse_key_product_criteria

·
Registered
27 Posts
this is disturbing news because the Tesla UMC is one of the most affordable/flexible portable EVSE's on the market, but just with the wrong connector :(

My UMC's work fine for my bolt and leaf...I wonder what the problem is.
The maker says that the problem is the non-standard AZPs that the UMC sends. Not all cars are compatible. It's not the Teslatap that is incompatible. [I readily admit I do not understand what he means.]

·
Registered
35 Posts
The link to the Tesla Gen 2 Mobile Connector as posted in the 2nd post in this thread no longer works. At least for now, it is found at:

That page has very little information about the charger, but what is there makes it sound as though it is limited to 110V/12A charging (edited to remove extraneous information):
"... allows you to plug into any standard 110v household outlet to begin charging.
1 x NEMA 5-15 adapter
Max power output of 1.3kW
Charging speeds between 2-3 miles of range per hour"
It appears it no longer comes with the 14-50 adapter, and there is no mention of higher charging rates. Can anyone tell me with any certainty that the Gen 2 Mobile Connector Bundle still charges at 240V/32A if the appropriate adapter (purchased separately) is attached? I don't want to order this and find that it's no better than charger that came with the Bolt (or possibly even worse, if I can't make my own adapter and run it of 240V).

21 - 24 of 24 Posts
About this Discussion
23 Replies
14 Participants
John Mc
Chevy Bolt EV Forum
We’re the Largest Chevy Bolt EV Online Community and Owner's Club. Join to discuss sport mode, reviews, battery range and charging!
Full Forum Listing