Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2018 Ampera with a sudden drop in kWh. Charged the car with hill top reserve (around 80%) and then drove 5 days, spending 18,8kWh according to the infotainment screen, while "fuel gauge" was at 25%. 55% of the battery was spent on 19kWh and that should have been around 30kWh.

I do have the odb dongle with torque pro installed, but I am not sure what to look for.

Took a screen shot of battery cell voltage 48 and it is significantly lower than all the other cells.
Also took a screen shot with the MG1-MG7 V at the same time showing SOC.

Could anyone point me in the right direction to figure this out before I go to the dealer? What values should be checked? Should I charge the car to 100% and wait until I have under SOC 5% before charging it? Compare the results from the cars energy spent with what my home charger says that was charged?

·
Registered
7,963 Posts
I have a 2018 Ampera with a sudden drop in kWh.
Look no further. You have a failed cell #48. Cell #48 is in module #5, which is located directly below the right, rear passenger's seat, in section #5. Neither the cell, nor the module can be replaced separately. They are both in section #5, which will need to be replaced.

section #5.png

·
Registered
7,963 Posts
Just want to put this here to help keep a tally of failed batteries of forum members.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll contact the dealer with the images attached. I'll bring the obd dongle just in case. Thanks for a quick solution.
I was wondering if it could be a faulty reading, thought that more of the cells had to be way off the rest in voltage to make such a huge impact on the battery.

·
Registered
7,963 Posts
I'll contact the dealer with the images attached. I'll bring the obd dongle just in case. Thanks for a quick solution.
I was wondering if it could be a faulty reading, thought that more of the cells had to be way off the rest in voltage to make such a huge impact on the battery.
Any cell 0.030 volts below the highest cell, is considered failed.

·
Registered
7,963 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thought I would get back to you guys and thank you for your help!
Dealer was easy to deal with, they belived me and started troubleshooting immediately. Dealer have changed the battery completely (in Norway they don't change 1/5 of the battery according to the dealer). Had a loaner (Opel Corsa E) for the two months it took. According to the dealer they had to do a lot of tests for Opel to approve that it was broken and when it was approved, it took about 6 weeks to receive the new battery from Opel. They said that changing the battery itself only takes a couple of hours.
Dealer told me that the price for changing the battery would have been around 330.000-400.000 NOK (35-42k USD) which is more than what the car cost new here in Norway. Fortunately the car is still under warranty and it feels nice to receive a completely new battery at 71.000KM. Nissan, in Norway, also charges more for a battery swap on the old Leafs than what a new Leaf costs (with much bigger battery). Owning a EV out of warranty might not be that desirable...

·
Registered
7,963 Posts
Owning a EV out of warranty might not be that desirable...
Glad you got your Ampera-E going again. That is at least twice what a new battery would cost, out of warranty, in the US. Is that due to the exchange rate, and/or import duties? Norway will need to build batteries domestically, at that rate..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It probably is partly because we do not pay VAT (25%) on electric vehicles in Norway. Parts bought after the car is new, has VAT added. As Norway probably is one of the most expensive countries in the world, parts and labor is much more expensive here than the rest of Europe. But with that kind of pricing a lot of cars would just be totalled once they're out of warranty...

Turned out that the car was not ok. One day after I picked it up from the dealer, car had about 70% battery and suddenly stopped, showing 0% and a lot of error messages. Towed back to the dealer on Friday night, the saga continues 😢

1 - 12 of 12 Posts